Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stupid or funny engravings.  (Read 12279 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Stupid or funny engravings.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 06:12:05 am »

Niot quite an engraving, but I had a missing-presumed-dead dwarf's memorial slab describes them as being "at one with native aluminium". Considering the dwarf in question was a miner who met with an accident while tapping the volcano, this struck me as being rather more accurate than his colleagues realised.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:02 am »

Then I discovered ability to engrave furniture...

Wait, what? How?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:28 am »

Sturgeons are perhaps the most lethal fish, actually one of the few you should stay away from until you are a very good fighter in adventure mode even.

Then I discovered ability to engrave furniture...

Wait, what? How?

Hes probably talking about decorations.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ELF-rhymer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 02:44:02 am »

Yes, exactly that. If you choose to Decorate or Encrust with smth, you end up having some furniture, weapon, armor etc with pictures of cheese, engravers engraving themselves eating cheese, elephants and other mad stuff. Among them you can have some really cool things.
"So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!"

DwarfFortress Boatmurdered.
Part 17 by StarkRavingMad.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »

I once had a fort where the mayor and the engraver were lovers, and the mayor had a grudge with his lady's best friend.  Said engraver/girlfriend would engrave purring maggots constantly, which the mayor hated.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 09:43:56 am »

Started a new fort and the first artifact made is a crown with a picture of itself on itself. I bet looking at it for a longer period of time could drive someone insane.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »

Started a new fort and the first artifact made is a crown with a picture of itself on itself. I bet looking at it for a longer period of time could drive someone insane.

The Crown of head-explode. Yep. That works.
"No, no, no, the person wearing it is fine, he can't see it. Well, unless he looks in a mirror. It makes the people NOT wearing it but looking at it have their head explode..."

I still think I haven't had something with a picture of itself on it: Closest I got was an engraver engraving a dwarf engraving... a different engraving. But I haven't always checked every engraving of everything. Is it that my dwarfs have plenty to engrave about already? I mean, I do tend to play "older" worlds. Is this a "young" world thing?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 06:33:22 pm »

Probably more likely if you run with:

[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:0]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]

In your worldgen settings.  The first fort in a new world is going to have very little history to be engraved about unless you adventure-mode first and go looking for rumors / legends.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »

Back in 0.34.11, with some help from DFhack, I got an artifact that had 40+ images of itself on it, made out of solid adamantine.
It was basically a massive scroll of everything that happened in that glacier, which was not much.
Mostly stuff my fort did.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 02:24:38 am »

The best way to do this is to wait to check the description of art for a while until you have multiple pieces, then start checking them and you'll find images of other art which depicts artifacts that didn't exist that have images of themselves and the first work of art walking down a beach or something.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 11:52:38 pm »

Figured I'd bump with some of the funnier ones I found when I untoggled everything and started investigating.

"Workfutures is laughing."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Workfutures is a dog.

This guy is the broker and detests oysters, dwarves are jerks.

Rimbind is not a troll, it is the reanimated lower left arm of a troll.

We don't care for elves.

Seems like every other dwarf engraving is either about the expedition leader getting elected, or it is a dwarf engraving one of the other engravings.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2014, 12:36:20 am »

The fact that the oysters surround the dwarf and the dog is laughing is quite funny. Must be quite hard to be a broker and hate oysters if you always trade a lot of fish like me tbh.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2014, 08:01:10 am »

I remember that during my focus on war dogs breeding, they mortally wounded lots of goblins. For some reason engravings of this events depicted exclusively as "The dog is laughing".

The dwarves seem to suffer from some sort of psychopathy at times tbh
This quote is simply perfect.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2014, 01:13:55 pm »

Leeches....lots of leeches. And statues of leeches terrorizing dwarfs. We are in a forest, where are they seeing these leeches?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 02:54:19 am »

Leeches....lots of leeches. And statues of leeches terrorizing dwarfs. We are in a forest, where are they seeing these leeches?

Well, first the had to GET to your fort. These are just migration tales, from when they were travelling.
"And I saw a leech THIS BIG!"
"Awh, Dad, you never did!"
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4