Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stupid or funny engravings.  (Read 12288 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid or funny engravings.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 11:10:45 pm »

Pardon me, but with the English Language being what it is... is that dragons-that-eat-cheese, or cheese-that-eats-dragons?  and... a cheese that eats a dragon would actually be pretty epic. A cheese that eats anything, I guess, would be pretty epic.
Seems like the latter. The former would be "cheese-eating dragons".

draeth's avatar and personal text fits this situation perfectly. It has come to this, indeed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:32:30 pm »

I just had a traded item take the cake:

(For those who can't read the fuzzy writing:  "This is an apricot wood bucket. It is encircled with bands of octagon cut milk opals. On the item is a finely-designed image of a floating guts in almandine." )

...I just. That. Is the craziest... I AM SO MAKING THAT MY WELL BUCKET.

Reminds me of those cups you can buy with a flower painted in the bottom of the cup. Only... it's upsetting instead of pretty. Bucket of guts, anyone?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 12:05:48 am »

floating guts is actually an underground creature. But it's still funny.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 12:07:23 am »

I was pretty sure it was a beast of some sort, but honestly... a bucket which looks like it's full of floating guts. It's just too hilarious, even if it's a pun  :D  :D  :D
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 01:57:39 am »

Hmmm, I don't check art immediately, as I like to wait until other legendary pieces have been made so I can get recursive loops where The East West Nail-Cyclone (an obsidian short sword) has images of Twistdeer (a gold war hammer) while Twistdeer has images of The Laughing Ruiner of Desserts (a nether-cap hatch cover) which itself has images of the other two artifacts on it!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 10:10:29 am »

After engraving more of the purring maggots she hates she decided to go into detail and make masterwork renditions of a battle between elves and humans, specially the parts where the elves eat the humans.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »

After engraving more of the purring maggots she hates she decided to go into detail and make masterwork renditions of a battle between elves and humans, specially the parts where the elves eat the humans.
...You might not want to have a meeting with the humans in that room there then. Either that or perhaps it will just cause a war between elves and humans, that could be Fun.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:27 pm »

A favourite artistic subject in my fort is Urist McBookeeper's fear of slugs.

I have many statues, engravings, figurines, and clothing showing him surrounded by slugs and looking terrified. ???
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 02:32:50 pm »

I have several statues of an elf striking down a certain hydra.  Then I got one of the elf ripping a tooth out of the hydra's fifth head.  Sounds like a the start of a series of action stills.  Put a mining cart track past a row of statues and  dwarf motion pictures are invented.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 11:32:08 am »

A favourite artistic subject in my fort is Urist McBookeeper's fear of slugs.

I have many statues, engravings, figurines, and clothing showing him surrounded by slugs and looking terrified. ???

And slugs who are such harmless creatures. Even the giant ones and the humanoid versions are weak and will easily be killed in melee.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:51 am »

One of my engravers, back in 40d, engraved a picture of the mayor surrounded by purring maggots, looking terrified (of course, the mayor detested purring maggots). The best part, though, was the location: Said engraving was in the mayor's room, on the wall, just above his bed. I think that engraver disliked the mayor.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 12:08:11 am »

I got a kick out of one fort that adopted two forgotten beasts as its symbol after they were walled in for two years straight due to. . . two forgotten beasts.

Forts can adopt symbols? And during gameplay? After they're founded?

ELF-rhymer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 02:39:49 am »

In my very first fort I faced a sturgeon, which ate my whole miner when poor thing went to get some water from nearby river. (Yes, we had no booze in early spring, right before caravan)
Sturgeon got the pick stuck in his tail, and river turned red with blood of Bomrek Bardumkel (I will remember this name forever, I suppose)
Then my fisher went to... well... catch fish, and sturgeon ate him too. After that Sturgeon got the name (which I do not remember)
Good thing was that in that time I got another pick from caravan and managed to make a well inside fortress, not flooding it in the process, surprisingly.
And when I decided to engrave the hall with a well, on one of the walls I found the engraving of The Sturgeon striking a menacing pose, and Bomrek Bardumkel in a fetal position.
"What a picture" I thought to myself.
I requested a statue, and the statue came to be Horrifying Mr.Sturgeon himself. I have put it near the well.
Then I discovered ability to engrave furniture, and two tables of six came engraved with Mr. Sturgeon killing Bomrek and Mr. Sturgeon killing Urist McFisher.
Those tables were to be put in the same hall, also.

Guess, who was found laying dormant in the depth of reservoir under the well?
And who have instantly eaten another dwarf which suddenly fell into the well?

Anyway, I supposed that this became something like a Shrine of Horrifying Mr. Sturgeon.
Engravings on the walls and tables, statues, and the Well of Death, which serves for sacrificial drops of screaming meatbags to please The Sturgeon...

The fortress died of thirst. I have not managed to get a booze production running, and dwarves were too scared to get water from well, because Sturgeon was swimming on the surface all the time.
With a copper pick stuck in his tail...
"So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!"

DwarfFortress Boatmurdered.
Part 17 by StarkRavingMad.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 02:44:43 am »

I just got a masterwork engraving... Checked it out... It's an engraving, of it's engraver engraving that exact engraving.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:29 am »

I just got a masterwork engraving... Checked it out... It's an engraving, of it's engraver engraving that exact engraving.

...Next one will no doubt be an engraving of the engraver engraving the first engraving... Heh. You have to commemorate such a masterwork event, after all...

...This is an engraving of a time loop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4