Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What can and can't be modded  (Read 1846 times)

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What can and can't be modded
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »

Or a few things that really can't me moved into raws without a scripting engine, such as AI and game logic.  Those will pretty much always be hard coded.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:49 pm »

Is there anything that toady doesn't give to the masses?
The actual source code? (Or at least not until he dies and it's released in his will, assuming he isn't murdered).

This is actually written in his will?

If it is, that is kinda...  Chilling.

fasquardon

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 12:13:15 pm »

Is there anything that toady doesn't give to the masses?
The actual source code? (Or at least not until he dies and it's released in his will, assuming he isn't murdered).

But the point of raws is to allow things to be modded, and more modding capabilities is a good thing. If something isn't there, it's almost certainly because he hasn't had time to move it out into the raws yet, not because it's being forbidden from being modded.

Ah. So what are modders still drooling for raws-wise? I'm guessing this includes conversation? And what is handled in the source code that can't make it into the raws, aside from this?
Or a few things that really can't me moved into raws without a scripting engine, such as AI and game logic.  Those will pretty much always be hard coded.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 12:48:23 pm »

The real nitty-gritty details of geology, city/site layouts, the actual recipes that randomly generated creatures are made from, the big-ass pile of feature-locked default workshops, improvement reactions... The list goes on.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 02:23:34 pm »

The real nitty-gritty details of geology, city/site layouts, the actual recipes that randomly generated creatures are made from, the big-ass pile of feature-locked default workshops, improvement reactions... The list goes on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you mess with randomly generated creatures by modifying body_rcp.txt? I've never done it, but I was always under the impression that you could.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »

You can make the three-legged quivering acorn fly's coiled purple proboscis a grasping implement that works as a secondary brain, sure, but it's still going to be a three-legged quivering acorn fly that's described to have a coiled purple proboscis. No meaningful changes or control.
Pages: 1 [2]