Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: The Natural History Museum Challenge (40.24) - Old thread  (Read 17106 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: The Natural History Museum Challenge (40.16)
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2014, 04:30:34 pm »

Actually, I've noticed the crash is different for the sites.  Adventurer's guild causes the game to crash out right away while Eastguild causes the game to hang and then Nemesis error.

Turning off compression and toggling the LAA flag had no effect.  It also doesn't matter which direction I approach from, always crashes as soon as the game tries to load the area into memory.

I ran over to a Starbucks for faster wi-fi, and have uploaded the save here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10135

If somebody can figure out how to get in there without the game crashing, let me know how to do it :).  I'm using the adjusted Phoebus complete from the 1st post to run the save.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »

Unfortunately, the "Nemesis Unit Load Error" comes from a corrupted NPC file attempting to be loaded into memory, which then crashes the game.  I'll check the contents of the error.txt file and see if there's anything there to give us a clue as to who seems to be crashing this game...

According to toady, the message appears when the program "fails to load a unit file from the region folder".

Apparently "Nemesis load errors mean that some important units living outside your fortress (like diplomats, kings, etc) have had their data disappear.  Once the data is gone, that error tends to happen on events like the caravan coming."

Research is saying that some of the data in a "region file" goes missing, which is what causes this error.  Often times, it's a result of terminating the program with a power-outage or a ctrl-alt-del rather than using the in-game save/retire/abandon option, which repacks the game files before exiting.

Before i send this over to the bug tracking forum, has any of you terminated the program without using the in-game save/retire/abandon options?  I know for this save that I haven't.

The errorlog.txt file says
*** Error(s) finalizing the entity MOUNTAIN
Unrecognized entity tool token: ITEM_TOOL_STEPLADDER

(cleared the file, then tried to get into Eastguild using Fast-travel and just straight overland travel.  Both times the same error message popped up, so I checked the Stepladder entry in the entity_default files for the game and the save - both were the same.  However, in the "item_tool" files, the game had this:

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_STEPLADDER]
[NAME:stepladder:stepladders]
[VALUE:50]
[METAL_MAT]
[WOOD_MAT]
[TOOL_USE:STAND_AND_WORK_ABOVE]
[FURNITURE]
[TILE:179]
[INVERTED_TILE]
[SIZE:40000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]

But the save had only this:

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_STEPLADDER]
[NAME:stepladder:stepladders]
[VALUE:50]
[METAL_MAT]
[WOOD_MAT]
[TOOL_USE:STAND_AND_WORK_ABOVE]
[FURNITURE]

It looks like

[TILE:179]
[INVERTED_TILE]
[SIZE:40000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]

was dropped somehow from the file.

I re-added the missing bit to the save's "item_tool" section again and will be seeing if that clears things up.

Nope, still having a Nemesis Unit failure... and the error log still says

I don't know guys.

I'm going to just remove the stepladder tool from the item_tool and default_entity files and see if that doesn't clear it up.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:06:24 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:00 am »

I did not kill the game at any point, but I did try to load the adventurer's guild a few times to see if I could get it to work.  Since the world is loaded for the 14-day simulation, I thought it might possible that the crashing of the adventurer's guild could have corrupted the save.

To remove that as a possibility, I went back and re-download the save as it was prior to my turn.  I verified that I still get Nemesis errors when making a fresh character using that save, so the issue was there before I started my turn.  I did not go back any further to see at which point the save became corrupt.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:44 am »

:(  if you do start new, put my name at the end of the list.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2014, 11:17:31 am »

:(  if you do start new, put my name at the end of the list.

I'll also re-up if we start fresh.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2014, 01:05:56 pm »

Fresh it is then.  If someone will be so kind as to scrub the checklist of underlines (or we can see if Paaaad has a pristine version saved somewhere that he can just copy/paste to replace it.)  @Paaaad: what's the word on that?

I'll be setting up a new forum post soon, after generating the world in 40.19 and building the initial Museum (I was thinking that it could start out being a series of long rooms, one for each category in the list.  We could call them "wings", and the displays could be along each wall with the really impressive ones being placed on a pedestal in the middle somewhere with space all around for dwarves to appreciate it.

Of course, if each new Player decided to add new rooms as well, for displays arranged for a special subject matter, I'll add the option of in-forum naming of each new "wing".  (Ex: "The Inush Mcfellintheriver topiary wing" which includes a "hedge maze" created out of wild-growing trees between 1x10 garden plots).

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »

Fresh it is then.  If someone will be so kind as to scrub the checklist of underlines (or we can see if Paaaad has a pristine version saved somewhere that he can just copy/paste to replace it.)  @Paaaad: what's the word on that?

Sorry, no dice there.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2014, 01:22:43 pm »

If you are restarting, could I vote for a 'natural looking' worldgen? I wasn't keen on the square block monopoly tile thing.

I will also suggest
[COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO]
in init.txt

[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:YES]
in d_init.txt

and the use of 'large address aware' on the df.exe for windows users.
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2014, 01:23:45 pm »

mmm.,.  Made exploration hard.

Im sad nobody but me will see my fort though :(
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2014, 01:25:34 pm »

I killed all the underlines.  Should be good to go.

If you are restarting, could I vote for a 'natural looking' worldgen? I wasn't keen on the square block monopoly tile thing.

I concur.  I found that the world rather uninteresting with that setup.  Neat idea to try once, but a natural looking world that is more carefully crafted/chosen to avoid unexplorable areas would be a personal preference.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:28:48 pm by Tacomagic »

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2014, 01:40:09 pm »

Just going to give this a nudge...
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

Believe it or not, I've been working on a new concept:  Way I figure it, the Museum needs to just be a fortress first, until it can't self-produce any more display items.  (minerals, creature corpses, trade-goods, ect...)  So the thought is that each Player who signs up for a turn has to "claim" a set of display items that must be put on display pedestals or windowed rooms during their turn.  All displays or windowed rooms must be put in above-ground rooms built specifically to hold them - AKA: "Wings" of the Museum.  It'd be really cool if each "wing" was built connecting to a previous "wing", and with doors / stairs that could lead to future "wings".

Once the on-site dwarves are unable to produce display items, then the Museum is retired and we start having the adventurers bring the remaining items back from the rest of the world, depositing them into the Museum via the lever/hatch method as before.  I think it would be interesting if each Player did a small "adventurer's home" embark where the dwarves build them a nice place "just so" where they can retire after their run and which they have the option to decorate and arrange trophies in, ect...   Anyone who wanted to could then unretire the Museum on their turn and put the various offerings into the correct wings, or into newly built wings.

Anyway, that's the concept.  I'm testing out this new world to see if that damn nemesis error crops up again using this method instead and have gotten five years in so far.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2014, 03:41:16 pm »

Cant you make a fort with empty tables and DF Hack the items onto said tables?  Dont even have to retire the fort regularly, because adventurers would submit their own stuff.
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2014, 06:53:55 pm »

We could just do away with the pedestal idea entirely and set things up as long rows of windowed rooms where adventurers could just come along and drop stuff in too - wouldn't even need to use DFHack or any mods. (Just in case its the mods that are somehow causing this...)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:16 pm »

It's probably not the mods. It seems to be a problem that occurs with unretiring or reclaiming a site.

The dfhack script 'advfort' is worth looking at. Adventurers could (in theory) create display pedestals without having to go into fortress mode again.
()==[:::::::::::::>
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12