Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arma 3 Life. Like any RP you know, only better!  (Read 2081 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Arma 3 Life. Like any RP you know, only better!
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:33:39 pm »

I recently stumbled upon PsiSyndicate's first impressions of this, quite spectacularly hillarious, Arma 3 total conversion called Arma3 Life. Its made by the guys over at Arma3-life.com. With a full custom map, custom roles, integrated TS3 with 3d sounding (so people further away sound quieter etc.) radios, police, news channels, the whole lot!

However, it is a rather gated community in terms of access. You're looking at an application, then an interview to get onto the server, however it does speak volumes for how serious they take fun there. I'd highly recommend giving Psi's videos a look first before you check it out, so much emergent gameplay makes me squeal with joy at the ideas of what I could do in it.

I was wondering, I know how much bay12forums likes RP, would any of you be interested in applying with me? Or if they ever release the mod to an open basis maybe considering a server?

http://arma3-life.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1NDxJgkp0&index=1&list=PLjJLqqk4244Sef5zf6XTq_SsqkTFhmNIb

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Arma 3 Life. Like any RP you know, only better!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:45:57 pm »

That looks like the exact opposite of fun.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »

^^^

Played some "Life" scenarios, would much rather manshoot.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »

I feel like Psi is playing it almost sarcastically, although I'm not quite sure. The people that seem to be playing it properly just come off as really weird - and I say that as someone with a high tolerance for weird nerds.
I admittedly don't get the whole 'real life RP' thing (as surely you can just...do real life?) but I saw less of 'emergent gameplay' and more weird nerds wanting to make you do menial things, police on a sort of being mega pricks and everything else just being empty buildings with a few weird NPCs in.

I'm kinda interested to see what people see in this, so if you have played it do share your opinions!

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:54:53 am »

I feel like Psi is playing it almost sarcastically, although I'm not quite sure. The people that seem to be playing it properly just come off as really weird - and I say that as someone with a high tolerance for weird nerds.
I admittedly don't get the whole 'real life RP' thing (as surely you can just...do real life?) but I saw less of 'emergent gameplay' and more weird nerds wanting to make you do menial things, police on a sort of being mega pricks and everything else just being empty buildings with a few weird NPCs in.

I'm kinda interested to see what people see in this, so if you have played it do share your opinions!

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The police are more or less totally anti-fun. Meanwhile, friends of the cops/admins get to do whatever they want and are given anything they want.

For your average player; 99% of time in Life is spent gathering resources, loading them into a car, then selling them to the NPC market. This will get you money to upgrade to the next tier of resources/car.
All while trying to avoid the admins and their buddies. Good luck fighting them with your 9mm and limited funds against their admin spawned tanks and attack helicopters.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:09 pm »

Sounds like a worse version of Arma 2's Chernarus life, which was kind of fun at times.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »

Im up to some fun goofing around. Even more fun with people you know :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »

I agree with what other people say. I'd rather arr pee some no-reponsibility 2d spesshmans or a forum RP that doesn't take up a lot of your time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »

So, I applied on their forums, passed that bit, only to do an interview, which I then passed, and then only to find out that I need to pay $30 to get into the 'closed beta' thats running at the moment.

Welp, not playing it till its free.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 03:49:52 am »

So, I applied on their forums, passed that bit, only to do an interview, which I then passed, and then only to find out that I need to pay $30 to get into the 'closed beta' thats running at the moment.

That kinda just sounds almost like a scam. I mean, I just feel that almost full price for what is basically just a collection of other mods seems a bit ridiculous.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 04:05:07 am »

Yep. 30$ is really extreme price for some games mod which uses other modders content too.
I wait open beta.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:26:39 am »

That kinda just sounds almost like a scam. I mean, I just feel that almost full price for what is basically just a collection of other mods seems a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, I mean the mod itself is actually based of arma altis life, but theres a huge amount of modifications to it. However not enough to justify $30 worth of investment.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 11:34:27 am »

If you're going to play Arma 3 and you haven't bought it yet, Please, for the love of all that is holy. Do not buy it just for Altis/stratis life. Those kind of people are the worst. If you're going to get it, then get it to play a military sim, not a really crappy life sim.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.