Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how to catch/obtain a werebeast  (Read 7152 times)

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to catch/obtain a werebeast
« on: September 30, 2014, 03:32:53 am »

So I suddenly noticed combat reports about a weregoat stealth-killing the wandering reindeer in the snowy expanse outside my fortress. I'd love to have a caged weregoat for !!science!!. Unfortunately I've never caught a werebeast before (in 34.x they always transformed immediately and ran away) so have no experience doing so. My fortress does not have webbed cage so outright capture is not an option. Is it possible to lure the werebeast into a  corridor with cage traps and isolate it until it transforms back to it's original form so that it is no longer TRAPAVOID?

EDIT
alternately if no caging method works I guess I could offer up a dwarf as a candidate for infection, though I wouldn't expect the chance of survival to be particularly high...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:42:09 am by lukstra »

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: how to catch/obtain a werebeast
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:25:18 am »

I'm lucky enough to have it both ways, currently :) I had a were-hyena show up and infect a couple of my dwarves, one I killed and one I actually forgot about :> When he transformed he was in an isolated hospital room so I locked the door.. Turns out a werebeast will break a locked door, but for some reason it just sat there.. I walled it in after the door breaking incident and that's gone well ever since (almost 7 years now..). I've got her walled away making mechanisms and fishing for her own food now..

And then, earlier tonight, I got a megabeast-style warning about a dwarf peasant showing up :> He was friendly and didn't get a chance to transform before he hit the cage trap at the entrance.. I don't care much for hyenas so I was really hoping for a different type of beast, but they both transformed at the same time, both into were-hyenas :(

I've got the non-fort-resident werebeast caged and have set up a short hallway of cage traps with a fortification carved at the end in the living quarters for my fort-resident werebeast, hoping to lure her into a trap when she transforms next time.. As a fort resident she doesn't trigger traps in dwarf-form, and won't move in werebeast form unless it sees an enemy..

The sad part is my fort-born dwarf-hyena wants to raise a family and the recently arrived dwarf-hyena is also a female.. Even if it were male I seriously doubt anything would happen there anyway :>

h0lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:09:28 am »

I have always caught mine in my cage traps near the main entrance. I guess you could put cage traps near the edges of the map.

thraxarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

I ended up catching a were-skunk a long while back, I think letting it run out its were form and transform back to human. I think I did it by keeping plenty of cage traps around since I had mega problems with kea flying around and into the fort.

Now it sits outside by one of my trap clusters as a moon phase clock.

Funny thing though, once caught the were creature doesn't seem to want to leave on their own. I tried releasing him back into the wild to have him leave at first, but they just hung about and got caught again.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:14:17 pm »

I have always caught mine in my cage traps near the main entrance. I guess you could put cage traps near the edges of the map.
It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to build traps on the map edge, or possibly within several squares of it.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »

Ugh, yeah, a four or five tile "off limits" border near the edge of the map :( I removed all the slopes from my surface area to try and force the enemies down very specific paths but.. you can't remove those ramps right at the map border, so.. it ruined everything.. :( Guess all I can do now is try to channel those sections off as best as possible..

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:18:26 pm »

I had a were-possum infection. And it lost me 90% of my dwarves over about a year.  I could have been more vigilant, but the lower the population went the easier things became to manage.  Every month a new dwarf would turn possum, fight a few friends and family then die, one of its victims would get scratched and the cycle would repead a month later.

I did have some trouble putting dead were-possum-dwarves in coffins, as the dwarves didnt seem to know what to do with the tail.

Still, theres plenty of spare socks now. And migrants are starting to refill the dining room again.

Now what to do about the elephants! ;)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:29 pm »

a thought occurs
if dwarves didn't object to the eating of sentients you could have an unlimited food source by cutting off the limbs of a werebeast just before they transform (granted this would only support a set number of dwarves)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »

a thought occurs
if dwarves didn't object to the eating of sentients you could have an unlimited food source by cutting off the limbs of a werebeast just before they transform (granted this would only support a set number of dwarves)
On the other hand (pun not intended,) necromancers. Training fodder.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:05:23 pm »

a thought occurs

Theoretically this is viable. in practice though, military dwarves generally don't stop to lop off one limb and go back to training, they will keep fighting until the beast is dead. weapon traps usually hit a random part of the body, so it'll eventually hit it somewhere fatal, like the head.

however, the above only applies if you have one werebeast. Werebeasts can infect goblins, but it would have to be extremely controlled to make sure the werebeast infects the goblin and not get killed, or kill the goblin itself.

I believe someone in the forums could implement it and make it work (probably itg or urist da vinci), but I don't think I could do it.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »

Theoretically this is viable. in practice though, military dwarves generally don't stop to lop off one limb and go back to training, they will keep fighting until the beast is dead. weapon traps usually hit a random part of the body, so it'll eventually hit it somewhere fatal, like the head.

however, the above only applies if you have one werebeast. Werebeasts can infect goblins, but it would have to be extremely controlled to make sure the werebeast infects the goblin and not get killed, or kill the goblin itself.

I believe someone in the forums could implement it and make it work (probably itg or urist da vinci), but I don't think I could do it.
You could remove the goblins' weapons and parts of their armor while they're in cages. That'll improve the odds somewhat.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 07:18:50 pm »

You could remove the goblins' weapons and parts of their armor while they're in cages. That'll improve the odds somewhat.

Except the helmet to prevent a brain related death.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:33 pm »

tearing damage to the heart, lungs and spine would be just as fatal as a head related injury, so I think a mail shirt would also be mandatory.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:27:45 pm »

tearing damage to the heart, lungs and spine would be just as fatal as a head related injury, so I think a mail shirt would also be mandatory.
Do goblins even bring a mail shirt? I know a breast plate would protect from some of there injuries mentioned above also.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »

Do goblins even bring a mail shirt? I know a breast plate would protect from some of there injuries mentioned above also.

In most sieges i've seen, goblins come with a mail shirt and a helm or some sort, usually copper or iron. I don't know if that's enough to protect the throat, which is an area i haven't thought about. but that's pretty low priority and should not be an issue.
Pages: [1] 2