Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid  (Read 19272 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - Prologue: The Siege of Horizon
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »

Kyle pauses in his wiping of his axe when he hears the word dragon. That causes him to look towards the nearest available veiw of the sky.
"... Shite."

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2015, 03:18:39 pm »

There is only battle.

And in battle, there is only the continuation of victory, until the finality of death.

And in death, there is honour.

Welcome, Death, and behold the Victory I have achieved over life without honour.

With battle, comes honour.

Let there be battle.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2015, 03:46:19 pm »

A dragon?

Somehow, that made Alicia more confident.

A dragon.

She was meant to slay dragons, wasn't she?

She wondered if she'd just passed beyond fear, now. She knew heroes were meant to be brave, and she wasn't, but somehow she wasn't even shaking.

"Are we fighting it?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2015, 04:16:18 pm »

"Dragon! Dragon! That is bad, Ethnon assumes. Can Ethnon be helpful in some way?"

Look! Up in the sky! Can anything be seen?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2015, 04:40:45 pm »

"Are we fighting it?"
"That depends on how big it is..."

Davora takes off running out of the tunnel, and (I assume) you all follow behind him. Upon exiting the tunnel, you see a gigantic silver dragon fly past the Archmage's tower, bolts of every color flying to and fro. You start to realize that someone is riding on the back of it, and then you see that the dragon is covered in scars and rotting flesh. The dragon is undead.
The dragon stops and begins to hover in place, its massive wings somehow keeping it aloft despite the massive holes. A booming voice echoes from the back of the dragon.
"Xylen! You shall usurp my throne no more! All shall fear the Wizard King!"
A flash of red light, like the sun reflecting off a ruby, comes from the figure on the back of the dragon, and a torrent of blue flames rushes out of the beast's mouth. In that split second, a magical barrier forms around the top of the tower, deflecting the flame and glowing brightly as it does so.
"Do not think I shall be defeated so easily, lich!" Comes an equally booming voice from the Archmage's tower. Presumably from the Archmage himself.
The barrier explodes outwards, and the dragon tumbles through the air, just barely righting itself before hitting a building, leaping off again into the air. It shakes its head as if it clear its mind and a loose fang flies out, landing at Alicia's feet. (Conflicted 6: The Three) It could be just large enough and sturdy enough to make a bow out of.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:48:23 pm by AlleeCat »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2015, 04:45:54 pm »

Alicia took an unconcious step back as the hefty fang landed at her feet, before quickly slinging her bow across her back and picking up the fang, cradling the solid bone spike in her arms. Her arrows wouldn't go through the scales, never mind do serious damage.

Grab the fang!

"That's a l-little but big to fight..." she muttered, some of her courage draining away.

"We should find cover!"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »

"That's a really good idea!"
Find cover and open fire with Chaos Bolts.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »

Alicia scoops up the large and deceptively light tooth as Duncan dives behind a pile of large bricks and begins to take shots at the dragon. Apparently, he's not the only one to think of this, as a hail of arrows rushes to meet the beast.
All are ineffective, however, and the imposing figure on top of the dragon cackles. "Your allies will not save you this time, you old fool! For you see, I have allies of my own!"
You suddenly hear Davora scream out in pain and look behind you to see a black lance piercing the shoulder of his breastplate from behind. A demon that you can only presume is Skaal sits on a dark, rotting horse, his lance embedded in Davora's armor.
The demon speaks in a deep, distorted voice. "Humans. So frail. So fragile. The gods do no service granting favor to you." As Skaal drops his lance, Davora falls to his knees, dropping his sword and shield and groaning in pain.

Skaal draws his sword, and Maruko reacts before he can even think, rolling on the ground to pick up Davora's shield (Conflicted 6: The Emperor) and blocking a blow directly aimed at the captain's neck. The clash rings out and sends both attacker and defender off balance. Skaal falls disgracefully off his horse, which rears up and lets out a curdling whine. Davora grits his teeth, picking up his sword and swinging it up and across the horse's back leg which flies off in an arc. The horse falls over onto its rider, while Davora loses balance and falls painfully onto his side.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2015, 06:26:44 pm »

"So! Skull works for the Deadman? This may be pertinent!"

What does our good friend Skaal look like? How big is he? Seems smaller than expected. How big is the lance? What about that exceptionally thick carapace we've heard so much about?

What does the Deadman, the Lich King look like? Can Ethnon see?

On an unrelated note, are we currently in a street? Any specifics on environment?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:46:15 pm by Harry Baldman »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:22 pm »

The dwarf speaks, for the first time since the battle began.

"{May your death be swift, and glorious}," he says, in the rolling tongue of the dwarves. Rolling in the same way a stone wheel does, at least. As he regains his feet, he tests the balance of Davora's shield quickly, seeing that it's normal wielder was incapacitated, and finds that his katana is rather ungainly. Letting it fall to the side for the moment, cringing inwardly at the disrespect showed for the blade as he did so, he drew his shorter sword, the wakizashi, and made for the fallen creature. If he could just stab it through the skull...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:47:04 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2015, 07:40:04 pm »

Kyle has a smiliar ideal and drawing form all his training as a soldier begins to brutalize any part of Skaal's body he can reach. Even the most heavily armored opponents scream for mercy when the one they are fighting kicks them when they're down.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2015, 10:01:29 pm »

Alicia backed up into cover, sliding the tooth carefully into one of her quivers. She withdrew her bow again and sent a pair of arrows sailing at the demon from behind a pillar - and hopefully out of notice.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2015, 04:01:54 am »

Duncan's hands fwoosh alight with flames, which he promptly sticks in the face of Skaal.

Place self between Davora and the demon, and cast Burning Hands.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2015, 03:30:06 pm »

What does our good friend Skaal look like? How big is he? Seems smaller than expected. How big is the lance? What about that exceptionally thick carapace we've heard so much about?
He's a good 8 feet tall, and looks exceptionally muscled under thick chitinous plates. His eyes, all three sets of them, glow like hot coals, and his jaw is replaced with huge bisected mandibles. His sword seems to be made of some dark metal substance, and rings of fire spiral up the blade. The lance still embedded in davora is made of the same metal, but instead of fire, the thing spiralling the length of the lance looks almost like dark blood, which pulses as if the weapon itself has a heartbeat.
What does the Deadman, the Lich King look like? Can Ethnon see?
He's a little too far away to see clearly, but he definitely looks accurate to most descriptions of the Lich King. One glowing ruby eye set in his skull with no face, and a hand made of swirling dark magic. The dragon he is riding looks just about as fearsome as he does. Blue embers drip from its tattered mouth, occasionally illuminating its two rows of sharp teeth. It seems to be missing one eye, but the other is ruby red, suggesting the control of the Lich King. Its face and body are scarred and missing chucks of flesh, sometimes exposing thick, sinewy muscle and bone.
On an unrelated note, are we currently in a street? Any specifics on environment?
You are currently on a large and sturdy stone bridge over the channel that runs through the city. It's wide enough that the seven of you, including Davora, could stand shoulder to shoulder along the width and still have room for two more.

Maruko and Kyle both attempt to vault up and over the lifeless corpse of the horse on top of Skaal, but the demon is quicker and stronger. He sends horse and heroes flying as he screeches in defiance, while Duncan takes this as a chance to scorch his face with flame.

Everything seems to slow down. In the sky, the dragon once again fills the air with flame, and the barrier once again explodes outwards, sending dragon and rider flying out of view. This time, however, a giant ball of flame strikes the top of the spire as the barrier disappears, and the resulting explosion is blinding and violent. It knocks everyone, including Skaal, off their feet, and suddenly the sky begins to blur. The blue flame and smoke is sucked into the glowing runes placed around the city, and you feel an enormous wrenching sensation, as if the sky itself is sucking you into it, and eventually you fall unconscious.

When you wake, it's raining. Skaal and the dragon are nowhere to be seen, and the sky is unfamiliar. You feel incredibly sick, and some of you vomit. You hear laughter in the distance and turn to see Lady Arweth joyously running up to you. "It worked! Haha! It really worked! I didn't even expect it to work, but it did! I can't bel- Oh, shite..." She immediately looks distraught as she sees Davora laying on the ground, breathing raggedly in a pool of blood, and still unconscious.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2015, 03:36:39 pm »

"Unless one of yous is a medic he's dead. The best we can do is just elect a new leader and continue on."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22