Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid  (Read 19251 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - Prologue: The Siege of Horizon
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2014, 08:28:15 am »

"You do deadpan very well. I'm positively mortified."

She coughs.

"A fair trade. I'd say, anyway! Okay, so we're playing poke-the-past-with-a-pointy stick, now you ask me something of myself you want to know."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2014, 08:29:32 am »

Kyle thinks for a while before speaking.
"Well, most of the elves I've known are really up tight, how'd you get to being a bard?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2014, 08:44:03 am »

"Ah, it was a personal request from the Elven court, where I grew up as a ward. They took me from my parents...

I have a very special skill, very unique. But, that's all of me that's unique. Otherwise I'm just a normal Elven girl, low born-my mother and father were fisherfolk-and, not courteous, or pretty. They wanted to keep me close, however. Thought I would fit in court better if I had a place to be, and told me to pick up an instrument. That way I could be part of court...but, not really one of them. I suppose I'm fortunate they didn't make me a washerwoman, or worse. I like being a Bard, but I didn't like being their dog-and they kicked me one too many times, to put it gently."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2014, 08:46:50 am »

"I'm sure you're good at it. Well, guess it's your turn now."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2014, 08:55:00 am »

"Alright. You're a soldier, that's established-who did you fight for? Or do?"

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:50 am »

"Could you elaborate? Do you mean, who I served or who made me join?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2014, 09:12:06 am »

"Well, I meant personally-who or what do you, Kyle Johnson, raise your sword for? And I notice you said-someone made you join? You didn't decide to become a soldier yourself?" Kat queried, hoping to sneak two questions in.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

"That's two."
Kyle notes with a smile that says he's dealt with better verbal tricks.
"Anyways. I raise my axe for my empire and my fellow man. Is there any cause as honorable or just. And no, I wasn't made to fight by anyone besides my self. And my incompetence in anything else."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:11 am »

"Well, we're all incompetent in some ways. I'm sure I can weave better baskets than you, but you probably cook better eggs than me...at least we fight for the same reasons, anyway.

So, two questions-you got me-that means I owe you two answers."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2014, 09:32:34 am »

"Hm... Oh, Can elves actually talk to trees, and do you know if the high druid and the elf queen are related. Or the same race to begin with?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:33 am »

"Oh! You gave me the hard ones! And, that's like four questions..." She says, punching him in the shoulder. Softly.

"Okay, second question first. I preface this by saying all I've got is rumor and guesswork, old legends I barely remember. I served the Elven Queen for years, but who knows if she ever showed me what she really looked like. And, the High Druid doesn't talk to anyone. She turns you into a squirrel if you annoy her.

The Elven Queen is...sort of...related to the High Druid. They're not the same race-I don't think many knows what the High Druid really is, or was-becoming the High Druid changes who you were, but they're both part of the same...web. They came from the same place, but not in the same way. Good so far? The powers that be gave them two halves of the greater whole. Elves are part of the wilds, always...but, we've also got a touch of mortal, of what you would call "civilization". It's why we have a court, and fancy clothes, and know how to make wine. The High Druid is all wild, and probably immortal, unless killed. She got the greater share of the wilds in her.

So...my...the Queen is her half sister, in a way you and I are distantly related because we both walk upright, can have children, and can speak each others language. We came from the same place, but not the same way. Understand?

And, Elves usually don't talk to trees, unless they're weird. Elves do use common sense, though. We can tell at a glance if a tree is sick or hurt...if someone took an axe to it, of course...if it's branches will hold the weight of your lean-to, or if it will crack your stupid head in if you camp under it. That's half experience, half empathy and respect for living things. I suppose it's a sort of magic, to humans."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:56:20 am by Dwarmin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:07 am »

Elves... are a part of the wilds... check, with a touch of mortal? Mortality? Civilization, anyway. But this next piece of information is most unusual. It did explain a few things, however.

"What does Kat mean, elves cannot talk to trees? And what's this about half empathy and respect?" he asks suddenly, tearing himself away from taking mental notes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2014, 10:20:26 am »

"What does Kat mean, elves cannot talk to trees? And what's this about half empathy and respect?" he asks suddenly, tearing himself away from taking mental notes.

"Trees don't talk with our words. But, they can tell you things if you pay attention.

Experience tells you that the wrong shade of moss on an oak is actually the Weeping Rot, for example. A nasty thing, comes from the Nec...you know, the enemy. Empathy is why you care about that. If you don't care about how much something is hurting, you usually don't bother to notice the pain others feel. Respect is why you do something about it. You have to respect something enough to fight for it-to protect it-to want to keep it alive.

See? This is why I'm fed up with trees! They make me very emotional..."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2014, 10:29:10 am »

Kyle nods.
"Ah. I heard that elves spend their pre adulthood in trees and that's why they can talk to them. Just goes to show you can't trust a dwarf when it comes to elves."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:57 am »

"Well, some Elves do live in trees, usually the poorer folk who can't afford houses...so, there's some truth, mixed with rumor."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22