Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I allow in more players/ characters?

Yes players, yes characters (max 2 chars)
- 0 (0%)
yes players, no characters
- 0 (0%)
no players, yes characters
- 0 (0%)
no players, no characters
- 0 (0%)
(write in)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 20, 2014, 09:42:29 pm

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 109

Author Topic: RWBY RP OOC: RIP Monty Oum (Combat Adjusted)  (Read 126563 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: RWBY RP OOC: It Begins 13/12
« Reply #555 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:06 pm »

Says the person who's character hasn't taken a single hit the entire match aside from the one GM rolled round.
Yes, because A. he hasn't been trying very hard to hit her, B. She's been trying to stay out of where he can reach, C. her semblance is about seeing the future so she can react faster(both offensively and defensively) even if it's not always active plus she's got the highest Weapon Skill(which I've been assuming isn't just the weapon, is general ability at physical combat) of any character, and D. I've been trying to make the combat more interesting; she's supposed to be very good at dodging and fast movement, as well as controlling the battlefield. One good hit will still pound her pretty good, but Indigo's been, what, charging her? That just sounds slow, in the RWBY world, which is why I've been having her dodge and stay away with some ease.

And again, the only thing he's tried to attack her with since that GM move(when he was just trying to bat away her strikes...) is a swipe towards her feet which his large weapon, which since I even as a player anticipated him having difficulties with fighting real up close and personal (he needs space to swing that thing; she needs even more, but she wasn't striking with it, not really), she 'countered' by jumping up and over him; he could have tried to grab onto her or instantly swung, and she would have been in a pickle. There's give and take, and right now...egghhh...

Plus, it's just a bland way to dodge. Remember, combat in RWBY requires awesome. Being uninterested in everything and flat-faced all the time isn't awesome, it's angsty.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:09 pm »

Awesome depends on your views so that's bad reasoning. Why is she even able to see the future? That seems like something no player character should ever have unless it's been granted by GM fiat. And the point of charging is to get to an enemy faster than they can prepare, what about that sounds slow?

And the being bored thing is in character for him. pretty much anyone would guess his reaction would be confusion or boredom from his previous interactions.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 05, 2014, 10:32:42 pm »

*grabs popcorn*

ooh, munchkin vs munchkin fight
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 05, 2014, 10:32:59 pm »

Awesome depends on your views so that's bad reasoning. Why is she even able to see the future? That seems like something no player character should ever have unless it's been granted by GM fiat. And the point of charging is to get to an enemy faster than they can prepare, what about that sounds slow?

And the being bored thing is in character for him. pretty much anyone would guess his reaction would be confusion or boredom from his previous interactions.

Because I put that as my semblance, and the GM approved?

The word charge brings to mind human running.

RWBY is much faster than that, but maybe it's just the weird way my mind interprets wording sometimes.

Boredom...at someone using your own weapon against you with tremendous force...in character or not, it's still angsty, not awesome. Also, Awesome does depend on views. In what way is 'doh I'll sidestep the attack without my face even twitching' awesome, other than in the sense of 'I am so much more skilled than you this is barely worth my time'? And yet he's fighting someone who is more skilled than him...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 05, 2014, 10:47:59 pm »

Whatever.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, having players fight each other is a bad idea.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:11:28 pm by kj1225 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 05, 2014, 11:14:11 pm »

PvP is a perfectly good idea!
It's just that we have a system for a reason.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 05, 2014, 11:25:43 pm »

Why are they even doing something that naturally makes them less likely to want to work together when from what I've seen the enemies aren't even human. Of course, I've only watched three episodes and it was one fight in the begining and the rest awkward first day of school stuff.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 05, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »

Whatever.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, having players fight each other is a bad idea.
I'm perfectly willing to be done with the arguscussion, but I feel I have to say this;

Saying 'Whatever' or 'I don't care'(and particularly, 'I don't care what you think', though I know you didn't say this kj, it's just been on my mind for a while in general, so this is kinda addressed to anyone who reads it) is not actually an argument, or an acknowledgement that you were wrong. It can easily be a dick move, since it can be construed assaying 'regardless of if your points are valid or not, I give zero shits as to your opinion and will continue in spite of protests and in complete disregard of any feelings you haveon the subject'. On the other hand, it can also mean 'I do not care enough about the subject matter involved with this debate to care about the outcome anymore, as the debate itself has become more stressful for me than the matters it concerns'.

Subtext is an amazing thing. :P

Why are they even doing something that naturally makes them less likely to want to work together when from what I've seen the enemies aren't even human. Of course, I've only watched three episodes and it was one fight in the begining and the rest awkward first day of school stuff.
Well, we aren't on the same team, and people sparring together doesn't necessarily make them less friendly. Quite the opposite, most of the time. In addition to allowing the teachers to assess your skills in more detail, your teammates have an opportunity to learn more about your fighting style earlier on, and thus that much more capable of working with you. Fighting in close tandem with someone whose fighting style you aren't familiar with is...difficult.

On another note, Justine should totally recruit Amber to teach Aurum how to use his sword. Hakimdos is a similar size in sword mode, and Amber's a weapons prodigy, in some respects.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 05, 2014, 11:33:36 pm »

Why are they even doing something that naturally makes them less likely to want to work together when from what I've seen the enemies aren't even human.
Training. It's in fact supported by the series, where these spars are commonplace.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:44 pm »

@RPG Actually the second one is quite accurate all things considered. I was so emotionally drained by the argument that I just decided to let it end there and be done with it.

Anyways, I still don't see how sparring helps overly much against Grimm. Then again I'll probably get to episodes with them tomorrow night.

Atnegam

• Bay Watcher
  • Yoooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:12 am »

I remember I had an oc once who's semblance was literally going through a select short time frame again after "predicting it" in his mind and I was going to have him be the lead of this team of other oc's I was making and he was like a quiet guy but mostly because to vent he would use his ability to kill his entire team if they were pissing him off and then when time reverted everything was fine xD

So yeah, time shenanigan semblances are fun and I'm sure RPG will find more uses for it than I

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 06, 2014, 01:54:06 am »

Someone needs to come up with Confusion Fu to confuse clairvoyance semblances. :P

Atnegam

• Bay Watcher
  • Yoooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 06, 2014, 01:57:15 am »

Or you know, be like Lloyd and use complex as fuck arcs with his weapons that can only be calculated by calculus leveled analysis.

Ok sure he doesn't do that and they can be predicted still but uh... WAIT TILL I HAVE 8 OF THOSE THINGS FLYING AROUND AT ONCE THE GRIMM ARE SO FUCKING BONED MAN

Also I feel like I'm writing Lloyd badly but I literally have no idea how to have him react to some of the things you are throwing at him haha

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 06, 2014, 01:59:58 am »

Even better.

Then Maeve can tease him so easily it hurts~

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 06, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »

Sincerest apologies that I haven't been able to post as much as I want to.  I really have no decent excuse apart from friends who are forcing me to play my first MMO.  That said, I have things to do in other places online today, so I should be good to post.  Again sorry for the inconvenience. 

Additionally, RPG/ KJ do you want to just RP it out or for me to just calculate the damage of all the attacks.  Also, disarming attempts from here on follow this formula

success = defender's aura/100 + defender's weapon skill*1.5 < attacker's tool skill (how they are attacking) + %

One last also, Amber's semblance is one or two seconds at best, and is more for role play than combat, but is useful for limiting damage to herself.  I intend to use it for things later.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 109