Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Community project - TWBT - 24x Graphic set  (Read 29328 times)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a tileset - TWBT
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

I see, that you are using photos or photorealistic drawings for your environment. If that so, make your walls same way ASAP. You can take simple two-brick-pattern out of photo of wall and turn it into your wall tiles. It will be awesome  :D

UPD: On your last post: search through forum for ironhand's topic called "Tile magic", everything was explained there

Yes, that's was kinda my plan to go more for a realistic look, even if it didnt work well on every thing. I pretty much take my inspiration from real photo. I stopped going for the pixel art style that doesnt work well for me and use instead the brush in GIMP, wich seem to give me better result. But i have a hard time trying to make realistic rocks, from the picture i choose.

I did make the sand and i'm kinda sastified with it, but the water... oh god! It gives me headache. Seem that the sand its not in the overides in TWBT and some water tiles neither. So some of my water tiles use the sand one, sigh.  I think i might skip water now to go for rock wall, but still i'm kinda hitting a 'wall' for now.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2014, 03:01:49 pm »

Seem that the sand its not in the overides in TWBT and some water tiles neither. So some of my water tiles use the sand one, sigh.  I think i might skip water now to go for rock wall, but still i'm kinda hitting a 'wall' for now.

New Sand (on right. water is visible on left edge, it works as expected):

with this syntax. just insert your tile numbers and tileset name
Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:247:T:SoilFloor1:text:233]
[OVERRIDE:247:T:SoilFloor2:text:232]
[OVERRIDE:126:T:SoilFloor3:text:255]
[OVERRIDE:126:T:SoilFloor4:text:143]

sand is a type of soil, so there is no "SandFloor" tiletype you probably were trying to find :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:07:04 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2014, 03:31:37 pm »

Seem that the sand its not in the overides in TWBT and some water tiles neither. So some of my water tiles use the sand one, sigh.  I think i might skip water now to go for rock wall, but still i'm kinda hitting a 'wall' for now.

New Sand (on right. water is visible on left edge, it works as expected):

with this syntax. just insert your tile numbers and tileset name
[OVERRIDE:247:T:SoilFloor1:text:233]
[OVERRIDE:247:T:SoilFloor2:text:232]
[OVERRIDE:126:T:SoilFloor3:text:255]
[OVERRIDE:126:T:SoilFloor4:text:143]

sand is a type of soil, so there is no "SandFloor" tiletype you probably were trying to find :)

Oh, fuck me! Now i feel dumb that i didnt tried that. It makes sense really. Ya, i was actually trying to find a sand type of overides, what a dumbass i am. So it gives 4 different type of tiles, that's way better. This help a lot, thanks dude. Happy to see that you actually working on TWBT. This will be great.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »

Ok, i did upload a test version of this tileset. This is playable, every tiles not made will simply be ASCII, from the tileset Bisasam. This tileset contain the color scheme from Vherid, Mishka.

There are some placeholder, so the ground is not a mix of ASCII and graphic. Except maybe for water and snow (i may probably have forget some other tiles too.)
I think this would give peoples a better idea from the tileset, if you like it or don't. Screenshot doesnt do well, i think seeing them in-game is better.

===> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=30117675595111181000
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:42:16 am by Vanst7 »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:21 am »

Ok, i did upload a test version of this tileset. This is playable, every tiles not made will simply be ASCII, from the tileset Bisasam. This tileset contain the color scheme from Vherid, Mishka.

There are some placeholder, so the ground is not a mix of ASCII and graphic. Except maybe for water and snow (i may probably have forget some other tiles too.)
I think this would give peoples a better idea from the tileset, if you like it or don't. Screenshot doesnt do well, i think seeing them in-game is better.

===> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=30117675595111181000
Keep up the work, this is getting good. I love the grass tiles, and the trees look nice too.
Here's a 18x24 font tile to go with it, it's a slightly modified Terminus.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »

Keep up the work, this is getting good. I love the grass tiles, and the trees look nice too.
Here's a 18x24 font tile to go with it, it's a slightly modified Terminus.

Hey, thank you, buddy! I'll defenitly include this, that tileset looks good (credit given) . I think it's more of a personal preference, but i myself like better smaller font for the text for some screen, so i can see more text. But for the map this is definetly better. thanks.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 01:53:03 am »

Small update on what i was working on.

I did some of the plants on the grass that was missing. Just replaced them for now with the bush tile. I plan on the future to have more variety on the bush, for now they just have different color. I did the flower on the grass (cotton grass etc..) forgot about those. I switched some color from mishka to the bone color scheme from vherid (white, gray and magenta).

Worked a little on the sinister biome. The wormy tendril doesnt look great now, i need to work more on them. Got a problem with one of the eyeball that seem to overide the ant colony too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a lot of problem with snow. When on the same screen there snow, sand and / or water, its really weird.

There a test with the sand, i have currently 2 way i want to do the sand and i'm not sure whish one to keep. The second need to be done better, but it gave me an idea how it looks in-game.

Some test with the rock wall and mineral.

And found some cactus. They doesnt look so bad, but are weird in some way.

If you have any critisism feel free to let me know. Thank guys.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2014, 03:31:43 am »

Worked a little on the sinister biome. The wormy tendril doesnt look great now, i need to work more on them. Got a problem with one of the eyeball that seem to overide the ant colony too.
I've run into that problem too. I think the wormy tendril looks good. At least I don't think I could make it look any better.

I have a lot of problem with snow. When on the same screen there snow, sand and / or water, its really weird.
I've run into that same problem. I think I finally solved it for my tileset. But don't ask me to do it again. I worked on it with over a years worth of tweaking and I still couldn't tell you what I did. I don't think I am critic you can rely on, but I think yours looks good.

There a test with the sand, i have currently 2 way i want to do the sand and i'm not sure whish one to keep. The second need to be done better, but it gave me an idea how it looks in-game.
I like the first one. It seems to flow seamlessly from one tile to the next. In the second one there seems to be something that doesn't quite look right horizontally.

And found some cactus. They doesnt look so bad, but are weird in some way.
I like it :D It looks all thorny and ominous. Like it was just about to betray you and fill you full of holes. It may not look exactly like a cactus. But it is very cactusesque.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 03:33:23 am »

Pffhaha, the eyeballs look great.
Yeah, tile #009 is used by a lot of stuff, but you can change it in the staring eyeball raws, I think.
Tile #111 (another staring eyeball and bubble bulb) is used by watermelons, too.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 11:04:02 am »

Thanks guys.

I've run into that same problem. I think I finally solved it for my tileset. But don't ask me to do it again. I worked on it with over a years worth of tweaking and I still couldn't tell you what I did. I don't think I am critic you can rely on, but I think yours looks good.

My bad, i didnt really explain my problem. In TWBT, i didnt found an overides just for the snow. And since sand, snow and water use the same tiles, it gets really glitchy when i get all of them on the same screen. If i try to look arround with the 'K', some snow tiles change into sand and the inverse too. If i get a brook on the screen around snow, its pretty weird. If i move the 'camera' around, the brook seem to follow me.Can't really found a way to fix this.

Pffhaha, the eyeballs look great.
Yeah, tile #009 is used by a lot of stuff, but you can change it in the staring eyeball raws, I think.
Tile #111 (another staring eyeball and bubble bulb) is used by watermelons, too.

(Facepalm) Ya, i just have to change the tiles of eyeball, i'm so dumb.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:27 am »

My bad, i didnt really explain my problem. In TWBT, i didnt found an overides just for the snow. And since sand, snow and water use the same tiles, it gets really glitchy when i get all of them on the same screen. If i try to look arround with the 'K', some snow tiles change into sand and the inverse too. If i get a brook on the screen around snow, its pretty weird. If i move the 'camera' around, the brook seem to follow me.Can't really found a way to fix this.

I think snow should be fixed same way as sand, i.e. by changing tiles ≈ and ~ on all terrain types. Just keep in mind that:
1) worms also use tile ~ (but vermin tile can be overwritten too )
2) your sand and snow will look the same

btw can you post screenshot of this snow related issue?
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 11:46:20 am »

I think snow should be fixed same way as sand, i.e. by changing tiles ≈ and ~ on all terrain types. Just keep in mind that:
1) worms also use tile ~ (but vermin tile can be overwritten too )
2) your sand and snow will look the same

btw can you post screenshot of this snow related issue?

Yes, its exactly what i had done and got problem with.  I'm pretty sure snow only use  ≈. Well, screenshot wont really show the problem, it's when moving around, it gets glitchy.

EDIT: My set-up right now is this. I desactivate it for now with # because its glitchy.
# ========== SNOW ==========

#SNOWY LIGHT GRASS
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassLightFloor1:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassLightFloor2:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassLightFloor3:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassLightFloor4:3:42]

#SNOWY DARK GRASS
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassDarkFloor1:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassDarkFloor2:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassDarkFloor3:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:GrassDarkFloor4:3:42]

#SNOWY STONE PEBBLES
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StonePebbles1:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StonePebbles2:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StonePebbles3:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StonePebbles4:3:42]

#SNOWY STONE FLOORS
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StoneFloor1:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StoneFloor2:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StoneFloor3:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StoneFloor4:3:42]
#[OVERRIDE:247:T:StoneFloorSmooth:3:42]

EDIT2: I guess the only solution to not see the glitch would be to use the sand as snow. I kinda wanted to use a different tile for the snow because my sand doesnt look great as snow.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:57:12 am by Vanst7 »

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »

Ok got some screenshot of what it does in game in snow. Right now only sands got overides for snow.

On this one you can see the sands as snow and to the right there is a brook.

Then i moved 3 times to the right. The sands seem to follow me as well as the brook. You can see by the trunk that i moved to the right.

And then if i use the 'K' keys everything come in there place.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »

that's.. interesting.
you better ask mifki
i remember something like that in 3.43 (main branch), but i'm using twbt-nextgen and never experienced that
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2014, 03:02:47 pm »

that's.. interesting.
you better ask mifki
i remember something like that in 3.43 (main branch), but i'm using twbt-nextgen and never experienced that
If I recall correctly, TWBT only redraws tiles that would change in vanilla.  Scrolling in a way that changed a tile into something else using the same glyph (like snow and water) wouldn't trigger a redraw.  mifki might have switched over to redrawing the whole screen each frame, I'm not sure.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7