Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Likes Dwarves for their Beards  (Read 3815 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Likes Dwarves for their Beards
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:51:19 pm »

I was perusing the RAW's earlier and noticed that dwarves have [PREFSTRING:beards], and it made me wonder. Has anyone actually seen a dwarf who likes dwarves for their beards? Is it even possible?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:03:36 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves who like Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:52 pm »

I was perusing the RAW's earlier and noticed that dwarves have [PREFSTRING:beards], and it made me wonder. Has anyone actually seen a dwarf who likes dwarves for their beards? Is it even possible?

Its probably possible if you are not a dwarf.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:19:14 am »

Its probably possible if you are not a dwarf.

I suppose the subset of potential admirers is even smaller, given that only male dwarves wear beards.

h0lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:02 am »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Likes Dwarves for their Beards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:50:38 am »

One time I added [VERMIN_HATEABLE] to all of the major races thinking that might increase the rate of domestic fun as the "racists" got disgusted by visiting traders and whatever. This happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It didn't have any noticeable effect beyond the weird thoughts, he was even elected the mayor. Not sure how it would work in 40.xx, though.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 12:48:55 am »

only male dwarves wear beards.

What?

What? I don't think that's true?

To quote the excellent Pratchett:
"Both male Dwarfs and female Dwarfs naturally have beards and it has never occurred to any Dwarf to shave, and thus doing so is considered undwarfish and shameful." (Just google Cheery Littlebottom, she has plenty of admirers of her fine beard)

Besides which: I've had some excellent female dwarf smoothers/engravers. They must have beards!
[edited due to grammar issue in first sentence]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:51:54 am by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:21:52 am »

What?

"Both male Dwarfs and female Dwarfs naturally have beards and it has never occurred to any Dwarf to shave, and thus doing so is considered undwarfish and shameful." (Just google Cheery Littlebottom, she has plenty of admirers of her fine beard)

Besides which: I've had some excellent female dwarf smoothers/engravers. They must have beards!

Ah, I didn't get around to reading the Watch novels back when I went on a Pratchett bender as I think The Rhesus Chart was just about to hit so I went back over some of the earlier Laundry stories instead, never got around to picking them back up, thanks for the reminder!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:40 am »

What?

Ah, I didn't get around to reading the Watch novels back when I went on a Pratchett bender as I think The Rhesus Chart was just about to hit so I went back over some of the earlier Laundry stories instead, never got around to picking them back up, thanks for the reminder!

Female dwarves dont have beards ingame regardless of pratchetts books though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:54:25 am »

I like to pretend that they all have beards, but insemination is like the cuttlefish, with the crafty male who seeks to woo a female while a large male has claim over the harem, so the crafty male puts on a dress and carries a stray baby around until he can get close enough to entangle his beard with that of the female, leaving behind a small section of it which then takes root within the female's beard and eventually grows into a new dorflet, as this would explain why and how female dorfs in full suits of plate and chain are able to have kids mid battle, WAIT WHAT AM I EVEN TALKING ABOUT WHY ARE THESE THOUGHTS IN MY HEAD!?!?!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:29 am »

What?

Female dwarves dont have beards ingame regardless of pratchetts books though.
The necessary code is in the raws though, just commented out by default.

So y'know if you want your lady dwarfs to have beards there's no need to pretend.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:12:29 am »

What?

Ah, a fan of the great and powerful THunt, and of Pratchett as well? Excellent. I feel so at home on this forum...  :)  I take it if you're into those two, I should try reading this... "Rhesus Chart"?
 {Heads over to a new tab, to google it}
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »

Atrocity Archives, then Jennifer Morgue, then Fuller Memorandum, then Apocalypse Codex, then Rhesus Chart.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 10:30:27 pm »

Atrocity Archives, then Jennifer Morgue, then Fuller Memorandum, then Apocalypse Codex, then Rhesus Chart.

Yes, Amazon has given me a list. But are they any good, is the big question. Only one way to find out...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »

Wonderful series, Stross is great in general, but I love the Laundry books so much.