Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Great River Politics [11/20]  (Read 31556 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Great River Politics [11/20]
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »

Ya horses are dead in the actual story line
I mean they eventualy reappear but that's not until an empire takes over and that empire did keep horses alive through the apocalypse yada yada yada they were prepared for nuclear war when crap hit the fan yada yada yada
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »

Terra Arma Militia Forces:
Why would you send the most likely person to drop or lose something to send a unique thing all the way back to the mainland alone? I'm just saying.

With that said, Terra Arma would DESTROY Demestris' army on the field. In the books and comics and what-not that the Demestris soldiers read in the Demestris Library, the children are ALWAYS the good guys when it's them vs adults, so if they had to fight children, what would that make them? Even taking out artillery positions would mean wiping out entire families. Terra Arma would win just because of morale alone and that's not even getting into the fact that even their smallest armies are horde-sized AND filled with weapons-capable combatants. The only hope Demestris has is in defending from walls where the feeling of being cornered would counter the negative morale effects of having to slaughter children.

You win Stirk. You win.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:00:31 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:22 pm »

Spoiler: Sapiastan Military (click to show/hide)

Cryxis, if I may ask, why are in a Future Post-Apocalyptic Setting if just about everything is Medieval? Why not have the game set in the Medieval Era?

The problem for me is that a Fascist State would be nigh-impossible to run without the industrial and technological capabilities that Fascist countries such as Germany and Italy had.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »

Ya horses are dead in the actual story line
I mean they eventualy reappear but that's not until an empire takes over and that empire did keep horses alive through the apocalypse yada yada yada they were prepared for nuclear war when crap hit the fan yada yada yada
So the River Valley city states don't have horses, but an outside empire does? I guess if it's worked well into the story I could live with that. But this situation seems rather familiar... Post-Golden Age era? Various fractured factions vying for control? Invasion by an evil foreign empire that forces the factions to either unite or die? This is Sword of Damocles!

Cryxis, if I may ask, why are in a Future Post-Apocalyptic Setting if just about everything is Medieval? Why not have the game set in the Medieval Era?
Probably as an excuse to place some of the culture of today in a place with medieval technology. Also mutants. It's also a lot easier to have wildly different forms of government in a relatively small area in a post-apocalyptic world than a medieval one, where everyone is just playing as kings and dukes and what-not.

EDIT: That was hilarious! :D HAIL HUMANITY is just SO dystopian-sounding! Reminds me of Papers, Please. Glory to Arstotzka!

EDIT2: Actually, I'm gonna take that. Glory to Demestris! Glory to the Great King!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:47:41 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2014, 09:47:28 pm »

Probably as an excuse to place some of the culture of today in a place with medieval technology. Also mutants. It's also a lot easier to have wildly different forms of government in a relatively small area in a post-apocalyptic world than a medieval one, where everyone is just playing as kings and dukes and what-not.

In what sense has modern culture survived? It appears that it's been so long since the originally destruction of humanity that most history has been eradicated along with everything else, with each new society producing its own original culture unrelated to whatever had come before. As for the mutants, well, they're based off of Medieval-Age Fantasy Races anyways.

This new information dashes my hopes of becoming Forest Hitler, slayer of Elves.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:50 pm »

Why would you send the most likely person to drop or lose something to send a unique thing all the way back to the mainland alone? I'm just saying.

Well we can't really send a full-strength soldier, or we might only have 9998 men to fight! And that would just be criminal. It is usually assumed that if an enemy has one, it has more. This is mostly so that if the army gets completely wiped out, we can make copies of the cool weapon that did it.

And child soldiers FTW!

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2014, 09:54:02 pm »

In what sense has modern culture survived? It appears that it's been so long since the originally destruction of humanity that most history has been eradicated along with everything else, with each new society producing its own original culture unrelated to whatever had come before.
First, read my last post. I edited it a bit. As for your question on culture, I'm talking about modern ideas of freedom of speech, racial equality, gender equality, books, real life history... stuff like that. You're right that the new societies are all new and stuff but they also take a bit after the civilisations of before which is really interesting to see in my opinion.

This new information dashes my hopes of becoming Forest Hitler, slayer of Elves.
I DEMAND that industry be prevalent in the Great River Valley JUST to see this! I wonder if the secret dictator behind Sapiastan has a name that rhymes with 'macame'...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:01:43 pm by Andres »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »

First, read my last post. I edited it a bit. As for your question on culture, I'm talking about modern ideas of freedom of speech, racial equality, gender equality, books, real life history... stuff like that. You're right that the new societies are all new and stuff but they also take a bit after the civilisations of before which is really interesting to see in my opinion.

To be fair, if you didn't edit every post five times we might be able to reply to the right one.  :-\ :-\

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »

Oh that's not fair! Most of my edits are just spell checks or the swapping out of one word for another. :-\
But yeah I didn't think anyone actually noticed all those edits.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »

Looking at Terra Arma's, I'd say it would be a somewhat close call between it and Aerindinus, it ending in the latter's favour. But for Aerindinus to win, they'd need to use their entire armed forces to do so. But given the high proportion of artillery, add in the iron discipline instilled into the troops, they'd come out on top.

Of course, given the discipline and training, they'd likely try luring the horde/mob into a killing pit of sorts. Or just try causing an avalanche to come down ontop of them :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2014, 10:27:12 pm »

The problem for me is that a Fascist State would be nigh-impossible to run without the industrial and technological capabilities that Fascist countries such as Germany and Italy had.

[insert longish backstory here]

Because I wanted to make a world after a terrible world war that used genetic engineering and the such and by the end tech was absolutely gone
And a fascist state would be able to operate pretty easily under these curcumstances, IMO

And when you say fascist who are you referring to?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2014, 10:31:05 pm »

I would recommend keeping the backstory as minimalist as you did because that shit is boring unless it's VERY relevant. It's not here so I recommend keeping it out. Leaving clues as to what happened within the world might be pretty fun though. Just so long as it's not a huge wall of text in the OP.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:09 pm »

Looking at Terra Arma's, I'd say it would be a somewhat close call between it and Aerindinus, it ending in the latter's favour. But for Aerindinus to win, they'd need to use their entire armed forces to do so. But given the high proportion of artillery, add in the iron discipline instilled into the troops, they'd come out on top.

Of course, given the discipline and training, they'd likely try luring the horde/mob into a killing pit of sorts. Or just try causing an avalanche to come down ontop of them :P

Id say it would be the other way around. Iron discipline and well structured military do give them a big advantage, but their ballista aren't very useful against mob tactics, once the armies get close. Unless you get high ground (which would mean you would have to choose the position), you can't fire them past your own army, and even if each had a hundred arrows each, you will run out before we run out of troops.

Getting them into close confines would be a big weakness...of course, they live in the East Mountains too, and know them just as well as you do. There isn't a lot of confined spaces outside of there, unless we are for some reason fighting on the other side of the map. They do know alternate routes, and can tell if the last 1000 people they sent in where slaughtered and that it would probably be best to choose a different route for the other 50,000.

Also, since the Terra Arma militia travels as once mass, it likely won't be fighting both brigades at once. And if it did, it is still (minimum) 10,000 against 4,000. Maximum, and you would literally be fighting every man, woman, and child against 4,000 troops.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:36:40 pm by Stirk »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2014, 10:33:53 pm »

((If anyone has snap chat and wants to see the actual map for this game while I find a way to get it into a thread, just send me your snap chat acount in PM and I'll send you a picture [or pictures] of it))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:53 pm »

((http://postimage.org/ works well for me, and I think that is what the last guy ended up using))

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33