Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No First Migrants  (Read 2268 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No First Migrants
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »

I have, on two successive forts, not recieved one or both of the first two waves of migrants. I believe this to be due to the fact that, believing thatthey would always arrive, I set my population cap to 5.

Importantly however,  what will hapeen if I increase the pop cap now (being In autumn of the first year?)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: No First Migrants
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:55:13 pm »

...No migrants will arrive once you've reached or exceeded your population cap... If you raise it, some migrant waves will show up after the next caravan of dwarves.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 05:19:14 am »

...No migrants will arrive once you've reached or exceeded your population cap... If you raise it, some migrant waves will show up after the next caravan of dwarves.

Two first migrant waves are hardcoded and happens no mather what even if you set pop cap to 0.

If what you are saying is true then it is amazing change.

Now we can really RP dwarf fortress with only 7 dwarves and their offspring. Though 12 years is a lot of time for child to grow.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:21:15 am »

The recently-added strict population cap WILL block those initial migrant waves, and it's possible Toady fixed the normal population cap to properly apply to them as well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:35 am »

Well, I'd better alter the wiki. Hump, I hope that it still brings the first two waves of 1-10, as I only want about 30 dwarves, and my fortresses tend to be very valuable.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:34 am »

play a small or extinct dwarven civ, you'll get very few immigrants. i got 3 total in the first 2 waves on my last game.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 11:43:25 am »

Well, I'd better alter the wiki. Hump, I hope that it still brings the first two waves of 1-10, as I only want about 30 dwarves, and my fortresses tend to be very valuable.

The population caps are no longer delayed-action triggers that stop immigration a year after the cap is exceeded. If you want 30 dwarves, set your caps to 30 dwarves and you will get (and maintain) 30 dwarves.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 12:08:44 pm »

The population caps are no longer delayed-action triggers that stop immigration a year after the cap is exceeded. If you want 30 dwarves, set your caps to 30 dwarves and you will get (and maintain) 30 dwarves.
*Begins to party* YEEEEAAAAH!

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 02:27:54 pm »

I too am having this problem, and I didn't alter the population cap in any way.
hamster cheese supplies are low

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »

I too am having this problem, and I didn't alter the population cap in any way.

"Didn't alter" is not equivalent to "verified correct". A bug in prior versions caused a missing STRICT_POPULATION_CAP tag to be treated as "0", and a number of add-ons and mods were found to be replacing d_init.txt with an old version missing the newly-added strict tag.

If you have verified the population cap settings in d_init.txt are correct and you still aren't receiving migrants it's possible your civilization is extinct.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »

Hello

Since I'm new to the game, I'm not 100% certain I am looking at the right place, so

In the data folder, in the init folder, in the d_init.text file, it says " [POPULATION_CAP:200] ".

Three more pieces of info: 

1:  this is a small map, short history.  We are year 127, so I have been playing at least 2 years
2:  The third dwarven caravan just showed up.  Before this there was an announcement saying something like "there is no liason envoy, how strange"
3:  I seem to be playing 40_05, not 40_13...

thanks!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 03:40:36 pm »

Just the population_cap:200 entry is not enough.
You must have a strict cap set as well, or it defaults to zero it seems and you will never get migrants (or births, i think the strict cap enforces births.)

Code: [Select]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]  should be the default, add it beside the regular cap if it is missing or change it if negative.

And to answer your original question.  If you save and raise the pop_cap, then reload.  You will get a blast of migrants/births whatever.

All provided your civ has individuals to send of course.  No envoy is a little worrying, take a look in the civ screen and see who fills the noble positions.  Non-dwarves is often a bad sign.  If the civ happens to have no envoy because he dies then a new one should appear.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:45:48 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 10:30:43 pm »

Hello

Re pop:  That line is not there in the txt file.  I will add it and see what happens (thanks!). 

Re civ:  There are 2 civilisations listed - one human (only 2 nobles...) and one dwarven, with at least 20 nobles listed.  The names appear dwarven (but I'm not sure if they actually are).

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:17 pm »

Well that was pretty dramatic.

At first I was underwhelmed - a single ranger showed up.  Better than nothing right, but still pretty paltry.  Then I started noticing a lot more dwarves... I'm now up to 16.  There were no anouncements though, besides the screen suddenly zooming onto the ranger.   I think I'm going to have to learn how to use dwarf therapist next!   But with sixteen dwarves, I now have the manpower to form a military... my fortress may survive for a while yet

thanks!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:48 am »

Migrants trickle in over a few days to a week.  You only get alerted when the first one enters the visible portion of the map.
Pages: [1] 2