Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we skip this combat session?

Yes, skip and take random damage rolls.
Yes, fast forward and automate turns.
No, keep going.
No, but kill off mooks anyway and replace with a higher level creature or two.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - OOC Thread  (Read 16037 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - OOC Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2015, 08:46:03 pm »

I know what Fearless and Implacable do, because Davora's a Paladin. Yes, I made him his own character sheet.
He also has Bastion already, which may actually come in handy soon.

Also, I'd like to remind Alicia that she still has that book on demons. Could be good to use it.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »

So... Holy shit Ethnon. You crit on a cold attack, meaning full damage, plus double from the crit and another from the vulnerability, meaning triple damage.
You did over 60 damage in a single attack at level 1. This, plus Maruko and Kat both critting? This guy was supposed to be tough ;~;

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »

So... Holy shit Ethnon. You crit on a cold attack, meaning full damage, plus double from the crit and another from the vulnerability, meaning triple damage.
You did over 60 damage in a single attack at level 1. This, plus Maruko and Kat both critting? This guy was supposed to be tough ;~;

Wait, is that going to be in the next turn, or is that what already happened?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:15 pm »

Guessing next turn. Maybe not though, considering we took him down to staggered in a single turn.
Though I'm glad it fits my flavor text. :p

Also, idea: when describing how turns go, if you want(aka it makes the turn cooler/more interesting flavor-wise, even if you want to keep it the same mechanically), you could switch up the order of events for what happened. Just thought it'd be good to remind that, since Initiative is just an abstracted way of who acts first in the split second beginning of a round (also people always forget that in 3.5E an attack was not just a single attack unless you were using a ranged weapon, it was just a measure of how likely you were to score a solid hit during the course of combat during those six seconds).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2015, 11:55:03 pm »

It became staggered after you used your ability, not before.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2015, 09:54:31 am »

Wait, is that going to be in the next turn, or is that what already happened?
That already happened. You alone took out over half his health

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2015, 06:41:13 pm »

If part of the six means I can wield my katana in one hand instead of two like it normally would be, for this short scene at least, then I'll edit my post. Otherwise...

Well, when your character's motivation consists of 'wants to commit suicide but can't'....

Speaking of which, I should PM you about that AlleeCat as I have ideas of how I think it works and possibilities for what it could be and I think it'd be best to update you on them so I don't get indignant if it doesn't work out that way, in such a case as my addled mind thinking you're psychic and subject to my whims. Consensus and planning is good.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2015, 06:47:03 pm »

Your katana is just a reskinned long sword, right? Longswords aren't two-handed only, are they? Then again, I'm thinking of this from a purely mechanical standpoint, since katana are traditionally two-handed weapons.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2015, 06:49:32 pm »

My katana is a reskinned greatsword, since exactly your second point. d10 damage for a two-handed weapon.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2015, 06:51:31 pm »

Oh, no wonder it does so much damage. I assume that's not from weight but from sheer sharpness of sword.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »

Sharpness(though this is seriously overstated in media, it does have some merit) and the way it's handled. You probably already knew this, but Katanas were slashing weapons, not cutting or hacking like many European swords. Which meant they were shit for getting through armor directly, but that's not how they're meant to be used, and it's not like European swords, even Damascus steel ones, were any better on that front. For true plate armor, anyway.

Although it's intriguing to hear the various ideas people have about how heavy swords or armor is. From what I know, even the fuck-hueg claymores were 10-11 pounds at most. So you don't need an incredibly heavy weapon, since speed and sharpness is what helps  kinetic energy and force far more. And 10 pounds on a stick five feet long is still damn hard to use...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »

Well, a really heavy sword you can't swing around much. A really light one is the equivalent of a Styrofoam hammer if not made right. You want something with wieght to get force through armor but not so much you can't swing it repeatedly. If armor isn't a problem light swords are fine.

Also, went to a knife shop in the mall. The guy inside was refreshingly serious about it. The fact that the katanas you could use to reliably kill someone with were labeled was also nice.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2015, 02:16:08 pm »

I was wondering why you guys hadn't responded, and then I realized that my last update was eaten by my kicking of a power strip.

I'm about to post it, I lean back in my chair, and my foot brushes against the cord, which immediately ejects itself from the wall.
I'll have it up soon, sorry about that.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2015, 04:42:24 pm »

I feel bad for this guy.

He's about to have a half dozen players roll unskilled medical checks and try weird spell combinations him...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15