Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: (YAD&D3.5) - For the Good of the Village OOC  (Read 8721 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: (YAD&D3.5) - For the Good of the Village [4/4]
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »

Yeah but they have HD.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:39 pm »

I see this is full but I'm intruiged by this LA/tier tradeoff thing.  Could you play a lvl 1 dragon wyrmling if you play a crap class like Aristocrat or Warrior?

Yup. The smallest wyrmling dragons have LA+2, but at least 4 ranks of HD that can't be traded off by the tier system

Ergo, they need at least a level 5 game to work
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2014, 10:21:39 pm »

I see this is full but I'm intruiged by this LA/tier tradeoff thing.  Could you play a lvl 1 dragon wyrmling if you play a crap class like Aristocrat or Warrior?
Dragons are not LA +5, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, thanks, Pufferfish! I'll write up a backstory tomorrow, when my sleep-deprived brain won't do horrible, horrible things with a drow beguiler.

To assist with said backstory, I assume that plenty of my ancestors fled the resulting massive holes in the ground?

Yep. There's still a stigma around Drow, but enough not-totally-evil Drow made it out that quite a few people are willing to give them a chance. Plenty of h8rs still.

GM says no.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 10:35:43 pm »

I thought the haters hated the drow for being a race of hipster rebels against their matriarchs?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 10:59:53 pm »

The Ogre Paladin Feldspar the Merciful awaits confirmation.

Without the changes I have: 12 Strength, 16 Dex, 12 con, 14 Int, Wis, and Charisma. Then the magic happens.

I ignored the bonus Hit die, feats, and skill points since I figured you wouldn’t be cool with that (Though if you are I’ll go for it).

Health Rolls which are rather disappointing…

If the Ogre isn’t cool I do have another idea I’ve been working on for a while.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2014, 11:05:36 pm »

....I think we had this very discussion earlier in the thread, but with dragons. The answer was a pretty solid no due to the racial HD

Also, you can't have a merciful greatsword because you need at least a +1 bonus before adding a special ability like merciful. It would be the total equivilant to a +2 sword which is a bit beyond the price range of a level 3 char
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:09:44 pm by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 11:11:12 pm »

Must've missed that. Also: Merciful is a +1 weapon... Don't I just add that to the Masterwork Greatsword?

Whatever I guess... I'll start working on the other guy tomorrow either way. Sorta need the Magic Weapon stuff explained.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2014, 11:14:35 pm »

Merciful is equivilant to a +1 bonus to the sword, but it needs to already be magical to add. So a +1 flaming sowrd is legal, a straght flaming sword is not. And even the +1 flaming only has an enhancement bonus of +1 to attack and damage. The +1 bonus the flaming property has is for pricing purposes and to give an idea of how powerful the ability is.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2014, 11:20:14 pm »

Okay wait... So let me see if I'm adding this up properly. Let's use a Greatsword as an example.

Greatsword = 50 gp
Masterwork = 300 gp [[Up to 350gp now]] Which gives a +1 to attack.
Magic = ??? [How does this even work? Isn't Merciful the magical property in question anyways?]
Merciful = 2,000 gp [Which brings us to 2, 350 gp + However I add magic into this mix]]

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2014, 11:24:29 pm »

Your Example:

Greatsword = 50 gp
Masterwork = 300 gp [[Up to 350gp now]] Which gives a +1 to attack.
Magic:At at least a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage(the +1 to attack overwrites the masterwork property)=2,350
A special quality like Merciful:It is the equivilant to adding at least(depending on the text) an additional +1 enhancement bonus(though it doesn't add +1 to attack and damage, except for the additional 1d6 damage Merciful gives), bringing the total bonus to +2=8350

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2014, 11:29:15 pm »

Merciful: The weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage, and all damage it deals is nonlethal damage. On command, the weapon suppresses this ability until commanded to resume it. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the merciful effect upon their ammunition.

Faint conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, cure light wounds; Price +1 bonus.

Source

Sorry man... Could you link or post the page number where it mentions that?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »

I'll just quote you the beginning of the entry for magic weapon special ability descriptions on page 223 of the DMG: "In addition to enhancement bonuses, weapons can have one or more of the special qualities detailed below. A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus."(Emphasis mine)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2014, 11:34:22 pm »

In order to add special abilities to Weapons, they must first be magical.  In order to make a weapon magical, you must make it a +1 weapon.

DMG, page 286.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2014, 11:35:35 pm »

thanks for the better quote! :)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2014, 11:36:16 pm »

thanks for the better quote! :)

I paraphrased, not quote.  It is a more definitive ruling, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13