Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alarm in case of an ambush?  (Read 741 times)

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alarm in case of an ambush?
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:06:00 am »

Hi hi,

is there a way to alarm all dwarves outside the fortress in case of an ambush (or for other reasons) to return immidiately so I can raise the bridge behind them and lock down the fortress against the attack? Or do I have to leave them outide and sign their death sentence to secure the fortress?

Thanks

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm in case of an ambush?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Hit o and then i...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Go into <o>rders menu and hit dwarves stay inside.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Press (o) for Options. I think there's one called "dwarves may go outside" / "military can go outside".

When deactivated, this will make everyone want to be indoors (or maybe underground. The difference matters only if your dwarves live in a tower :-)

I'm not sure if that's enough to prevent your haulers from rushing out, trying to grab that one narrow loincloth, while the other goblins are still winding up their crossbows ... it seems most players, in frantic battles, will manually forbid items that goblins have dropped.

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by zagibu:
<STRONG>Hit o and then i...</STRONG>

Don't forget to hit d then f, and select every possible item laying around outside. And d then x, to undesignate every tree or mining operation you have outside.

;)

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

I think I should also cut away everything that's one Z above the area outside the bridge. My dwarves now all stand outside the bridge beneath some kind of an overhang. Just as if they hide from the rain. But no one even thinks about crossing the bridge... dammit...

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:59:00 am »

Of course, if they run into a single kobold on their way back into the fortress, they will all turn around and run back to the ambushers with bows.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.