Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to make a game, but I do not have the skillset. Yet.  (Read 1112 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
I want to make a game, but I do not have the skillset. Yet.
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:02:56 am »

I want to make a game, but my only coding experience comes from Roblox Lua, which I understand is heavily modified. I plan to write this game in C#. Does anyone know someplace I could learn how to reach my goal online for free? It pains me that codeacademy does not teach C#. Even some code snippets, pseudo code, and logic tips would be appreciated.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I want to make a game, but I do not have the skillset. Yet.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:31:07 am »

I'm a bit tired to offer any advice, but come ask the guys on the programming thread if there's anything you want to know or discuss.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 07:53:15 am »

Have you thought of trying other languages? Java is very similar to C# and Python is great. If you want to get into this as a career you may want to try C/C++ as well.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:34 am »

I have, in fact considered other languages, before I chose C#.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:16:14 am »

Are you using C# with Unity? Just a guess on my part, but if you are you might want to consider using JavaScript. W3Schools has a pretty good JavaScript tutorial that might be worth checking out (I read it when I was first learning).

Then again, you might have already considered it and I'm just rehashing what you'd already thought off. Just my two cents, though.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:09 am »

I'm using visual studio, I plan to build the game from scratch. I have unity, but my computer can barely handle it. (Dell Latitude D630)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 09:24:03 pm »

Ah. In that case, miauw's suggestion looks like your best bet. Good luck with your project!

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:54 pm »

Thanks, if it ever gets finished, you people will be the first to know!

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »

I too learned to code because I wanted to make a game and looking back I would have had an easier time with more simple tools and languages.

Ever looked at http://www.pygame.org/ or http://love2d.org/ ?