Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what weps can stick in?  (Read 353 times)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what weps can stick in?
« on: May 11, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

title says all i guess... what soldiers should carry two weapons?
-Toast-_

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: what weps can stick in?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Melee sharp weapons: swords, axes, picks, spears, and such.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

ok thanks. guess i gotta make some more axes.
-Toast-_

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

Jack's right.
AFAIK only sharp and pointy melee weapons (swords axes spears, but not hammers) can get stuck in the enemy, in which case the soldier will start wrestling or twisting the weapon the wound ... which isn't as good as hacking away with that sword     :)  Having a backup weapon seems to be a good idea then.

Dual wielding (*g*) seems to be pointless for crossbow dwarves, then: It won't make them carry more ammo, and in melee they use the Xbow as a light hammer I think.

You might want to check their equipment though: I had a braindamaged dwarf who'd picked up a two-handed sword, and seemed not to be training because kept wanting to pick up another one but never did. Maybe this was my only long sword, though   :)

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

Anything that is sharp or pointy can stick.  Crossbows, hammers, maces and whips do not fall into that category.

Unless you're worried about them doing something stupid (a rather prudent consideration, actually) like dodging away while their weapon's stuck in the enemy, you really don't have to worry about extra weapons.  Twisting a weapon around in something is a very powerful attack, and dwarves really aren't that likely to lose hold of whatever it is they're fighting with.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

I'd say anything that uses "SLASH" and "PIERCE" damage type can be lost this way.
But I think if you add the "STICK_CHANCE:0" to the weapon, you can make even a spear safe.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I honestly don't get how weapons can get stuck in people so often.  I mean, unless it gets caught in bone... people are mostly water.  It's like a weapon getting stuck in jello.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

in real life weps get stuck because of suction, and because of muscles clenching around the blade. so its not quite like jello.
-Toast-_

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

To my knowledge (which is based on an assumption that could be incorrect

Only Hammers, Non-weapons, and Ranged weapons used as Melee weapons do not get stuck.

I agree that you should ALWAYS have two weapons (Though not duel weilding since Shields are vital)