Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Huge forest fire  (Read 5001 times)

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Huge forest fire
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »

I got a Huge forest fire going across my map because of a titan that appeared and attacked my Elephants and I like to know if anyone knows how to mod the game so that surface cave ins won't pause the game. I am getting spammed with them as my heavy forest burns down.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Huge forest fire
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »

You need to modify announcements.txt to no longer have D_D, P or R options active

This page will help

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Announcements.txt
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »

Thanks. It was a bit hard to keep going with the game stopping almost as soon as I unpaused it. Over and over and over.....

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:25:24 pm »

Yeah, it can be a pain. I modify announcements to remove baby spam.

The line you need to change is:

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]

to

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]

or

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D]

(Depending on if you want to also be rid of red text spam at the bottom of the screen, or not.)
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:05:31 pm »

I just put the fix in and it works! Now I can get back to dumping this river water into lava far below to block up the path that goes to my lava forges as my map wide heavy forest burns down to the ground.

edit: all the trees falling down also seems to be a FPS killer too.

FPS of 6-12

edit 2: seems the falling trees pauched a hole in the ground and let the river into a dug out area I had nobody in that is slowly flooding into the main stair well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:22:04 pm by Shadow_Hornet »

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:47:12 pm »

Recently used DFHack to dump a 7/7 tile of lava onto a zombie with the final intent of burning the entire surface on the west side of my river.. Was going to see how much damage a good fire would do to the zombies on that side, but quickly realized (as the fire started climbing z-levels..) that there were many tree-to-tree links over the river so the fire could hop over to the side with my fort :| My fort that happens to be all-wooden outdoor housing for nest boxes, hives, and the military (before I called them all underground to hide, anyway..) I built it with hopes of seeing it tragically burn down (and to see what all the filled coffins 8 z-levels up would do when they fell..), but I didn't want it burning due to a fire I set myself :>

So I panic and started using DFHack to dump 7/7 tiles of water over the original lava and fire and, long story short, was barely able to stop the fire from spreading.. Even with the hacked ability to drop targeted cubes of water from the sky it was brutally difficult, so I'm not sure how any non-cheating vanilla dwarves would ever be able to anything to combat a forest fire besides hiding fast and deep, or keeping the trees fully cut away and employing some fire ditches or something :|

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »

In my case all my dwarfs were already underground when the fire breathing Titan showed up and the forest fire itself didn't start until the Titan attacked the Elephants. The fire by the Elephants was on the other side of the map from my fort and I didn't think I had to worry about anything because everything I had was underground. I found I did have reason to worry when one of the falling trees punched a hole in the river right into a sand collecting area I had and didn't stop there. Wasn't hard to build a quick wall to block incoming river water in that area, but the thing that made me need to reload again was when another falling tree punched a hole through my garbage piles, through my workshop area, and into my main stockpile area. After I reloaded and built walls to block the 2th hole from forming I noticed that the 1st hole has punched one layer deeper than I thought. It had punched one more layer down which was the main way in and out of the fort. Lucky for me my drawbridge was up anyway.

So now the forest fires appear to be dieing down and I don't seem to have any new holes to plug up and I need to dig a new way out of the underground fort.

Looks to me like the biggest thing I had to deal with was keeping the river out of my fort as all the trees fell down due to the Titan's fire.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:40:12 pm by Shadow_Hornet »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 03:07:10 pm »

Sounds almost like a LotR line.

"...and the Dwarves endured the raining boughs as the forest roared ablaze, and like the gaping jaws of hell the trees came crashing down upon them, on the Night of the Titan's Fire."

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 05:59:26 pm »

Also I think that Titan is still out there somewhere.

edit: and now a Vile force of darkness.

edit2: and the titan killed them.... I was hoping the titan would be killed

edit3: now a web shooting titan has showed up to fight the fire shooting one and the web shooter dies.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:36:37 pm by Shadow_Hornet »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 07:16:04 pm »

!!FIRE!! over-powered, nerf fire!

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:41 pm »

the surface is now a burnt out wasteland.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:42:57 am »

the surface is now a burnt out wasteland.

It was inevitable.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:37:55 pm »

Yeah, collapsing trees can be dangerous. I avoid digging much at all in the first layer because some tree will grow over it and then fall down and punch a hole through. I just dig down to the second level and start building my fort down there.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 07:46:37 pm »

Yeah, collapsing trees can be dangerous. I avoid digging much at all in the first layer because some tree will grow over it and then fall down and punch a hole through. I just dig down to the second level and start building my fort down there.

Keith

In this fort I have found that out the hard way.

Right now I need to find a way to kill off that titan... It killed off a goblin attack, another titan, some traders, and some new dwarfs that came onto the map to join my fort. It now has a lot of scars.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 01:20:58 pm »

If it doesn't fly, build a roof on the level above it, build a retracting bridge, and put heavy items on it. Cave ins always hurt, even if they don't kill.
Pages: [1] 2