Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free Survival Rougelikes?  (Read 2033 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Free Survival Rougelikes?
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:32:23 pm »

As much as it shames me to admit, DF is beginning to bore me. Same with Unreal World and Cataclysm: DDA. Does anyone know about any free survival rougelikes out there?
-Must have crafting system
-Must require player to eat/drink
-May or may not have zombies
-May or may not have fantasy elements
I guess im looking for something similar to DF adventure mode, but standalone, and... just kind of different.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Free Survival Rougelikes?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:50 pm »

I guess im looking for something similar to DF adventure mode, but standalone, and... just kind of different.

In terms of content or the way the game is played?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:41:59 pm »

Cataclysm DDA is great, and so Is Unreal world.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »

In terms of content or the way the game is played?
A bit of both, really.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:44:17 pm by deepspaceprobe9 »
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »

Cataclysm DDA is great, and so Is Unreal world.
I wholeheartedly agree, but I've played them for a while, and I'm just looking for something new.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:47:34 pm »

I guess I should get back to developing my roguelike (which was effectively this kind of idea), seeing as apparently there are actually people who'd play it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »

I guess I should get back to developing my roguelike (which was effectively this kind of idea), seeing as apparently there are actually people who'd play it.
I am both interested in this idea, and would also like to hear more about it. I understand that if you do choose to continue work on it, that it will not  be finished for some time. But would you care to explain a bit?

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:49 pm »

Wayward. I believe it describes itself as a survival roguelike.

Id be curious about this too. Im open to paid ones too if its ok to add that to thread.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 06:52:46 pm »

Caves of Qud

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »

There was Rogue Survivor, really great survival game with RL elements , it was involving zombies like in Cataclysm but very different gameplay, the crafting was rather simple though (mostly involving making different kind of barricades, everything else you needed to find).
Too bad it's not developped anymore, it had lots of good ideas and there was good enough AI to recruit, to fight against or making their own stuff.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »

I am both interested in this idea, and would also like to hear more about it. I understand that if you do choose to continue work on it, that it will not  be finished for some time. But would you care to explain a bit?
A while back I had the idea to make a roguelike that would be vaguely a mashup of C:DDA, DF's adventure mode, Minecraft, and some other random ideas.
I think I deleted the old design document, but I wanted a survival-focussed early game (in the sense that death is a very real threat) and a "build ridiculous megaprojects" kind of late game. I gave up before to long because of a lack of motivation; partly I doubted anyone would be interested.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »

Cataclysm DDA (Link because noone else put one in) is awesome, Unturned (no link due to steam) is rather good, and is currently undergoing a second remake.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »

Cataclysm DDA (Link because noone else put one in) is awesome, Unturned (no link due to steam) is rather good, and is currently undergoing a second remake.

Nobody else put it in because the OP stated he was getting tired of Unreal World and C:DDA. He's asking for other roguelikes.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 07:10:08 pm »

PtW.
Although I find it funny that people keep recommended C:DDA and Unreal World even though you specifically said you were bored with them too in the first post.
Take a closer look at this text!
Pages: [1] 2