Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mist generator/shower [Guide/blueprints]  (Read 2119 times)

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mist generator/shower [Guide/blueprints]
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by WomanTheatre (In other Topic):
<STRONG>A shower? Like a mini-waterfall?  Sounds like a cool idea, how does it work exactly?</STRONG>

Ok, this was asked in other topic, started by Slappy Moose. But since all he said as an answer to this question was "It's not too complicated, it just takes lots of thinking and design to get it to work with your fortress." I decided to make a quide of some kind. Since I found this idea awesome and I made this kind of system into my fort just couple of days ago.

So the system makes water fall throug my fortress zoo entrance hallway. The water comes From small 3x3 reservoir abowe the entrance hallway. The waterfall is 3-tile wide as is my hallway. The water then goes through 3 floor grates directly under the waterfall. Under the hallway there is 6x2+1 tiles wide reservoir. From there water is pumped to 3x3 pool on the same level as the hallway is. And from there the water is pumped to the 3x3 reservoir from where it falls back down again. The system needs to have right amount of water. The water was initiated firslty into the 6x2+1 reservoir. I would say that when the whole reservoir is almost full. (about 6/7 in every tile) the system has enough water for couple od seasons. Then you must let in more water because water turning into mist dissappears.

Now some pics follow. (Thumbnails click them to enlarge)

First: Showin the reservoir under the hallway, and system that lets the water in. (the smaller 3x3 reservoir is for the well [And the explanation for the red dot comes in next pic.])

Pic 2: Shows the hallway without mist. (The pic was taken when system was out of water.) All the explanations should be there in pic. Color of the text allways mathces to the markings in the pic. Eg. If there is purple dots the purple text explains them.

Pic 3: Shows system abowe the hallway. The pump mechanisms draw power from 2 windmills abowe the ground one level up The whole system requires 68 power and my two windmills produce 80. (I have quite windy map 8) )

And the last pic shows the system producing mist after I added more water into the system. (As you can read from the text in the pic, I added bit too much of it this time.)

If anything is unclear, ask. Ant once more thanks for the Slappy Moose for totally awesome idea. This keeps your dwarves clean and also makes them happy.

um-beer coockies!

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Mist generator/shower [Guide/blueprints]
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:20:00 am »

Nice guide.  :) Just one thing regarding the screenshots, there is much white unused space. You could make the images much smaller. A tip is that when you take screenshots, hold down the Alt key to only take a screenshot of the active window. And make sure to put the guide on the wiki.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

Hmm. This seems rather cumbersome.

If you dont mind 'wasting' some dwarf power, you can go with a simpler approach:

1) Dig a pit with ramps on the sides. [1]

2) Fill it with water. Bucket brigade is fine [2]

3) Add meeting zones in/around the pond to attract dwarves for their wetting down.

4) Add a pump to get water out, and another to put it back in two levels up. Make dwarves run them. They need the stat boosts anyway. Its not like they're not also running 8 dry pumps at the same time.

--

Notes:

[1]Mine is outside to double as cave-adaptation prevention. That gets 'fun'[3] if your biome freezes, tho...

[2] I mark a pond accessible only by going through the pit first, so that dwarves will cancel filling jobs once the pond is half full. I also put in a big stair so dwarves will throw water in from a height to squeeze a little more mist out of the system...

[3] 'losing' = 'fun', right?

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

Dwarf power is ok but making something more complicated is more rewarding to me at least.   :D
And this bucket brigade wouldn't soon have time to do anything else but to bring more water to this system since the water gets used up constantly...

And hm yes the screenshots aren't that good... But its quite clear I hope. About the wiki thing.. maybe in some day you'll find this from there... 8) I first try to optimize it... and make better pics.

um-beer coockies!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

if I have a chasm on map I usually redirect the river there, and the place where the river falls through floor grates a few levels below is where my dining room/ noble corridors are.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

I would just like to add that I have found when you drop water directly through grates the mist generated is usually generated below the grates where it strikes the ground and then filters up through the grates.

I would recommend allowing the water to impact on a single floor tile that is surrounded by grates or bars, this way the water impacts, generates loads of mist and then drains away afterwards.

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Temetrix - Nilkôn Måmgoz:
<STRONG>Dwarf power is ok but making something more complicated is more rewarding to me at least.    :D

Oh, I can understand that competely. But for those needing help with the idea, I thought a stripped to the bone method may be easiest. Once they're used to the idea, then they can embellish.

quote:
[QB]
And this bucket brigade wouldn't soon have time to do anything else but to bring more water to this system since the water gets used up constantly...
</STRONG>

My current setup has the water source pretty close by, so I have the combined problems of overfilling (hence making them cross the pond before filling it) and unemployment...

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 11:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by kaypy:
<STRONG>Oh, I can understand that competely. But for those needing help with the idea, I thought a stripped to the bone method may be easiest. Once they're used to the idea, then they can embellish.</STRONG>

True. It might be easier to start with something that is simple. But i want to note that when I built this, it was my first time to use pumps or powered mechanisms. So it really isn't that hard to learn.

Making things, even complicated ones, in DF is easy when you know what you want, have couple of graph paper sheets (for planning*) and know how the thingies, you need in your systems, work (the wiki helps with this a lot).

(* and screw that exel tool [apoligies to its creator], I found the paper and pencil much more usefull, and using this method you can plan during gaming without swapping between windows constantly.)

um-beer coockies!

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

My first waterfall was a vast array of learning experiences.

First, I read the wiki article on water pressure and assumed I could power the entire thing with one pump down at the bottom (A multiple z-level tower).  Then, after I had built several levels of tower and nearly had the spout finished, I read the screw pump article that said it wouldn't pump water up z-levels.  D'oh!

On the plus side, none of my dwarves got conked with falling blocks when I pulled the bottom floor out. (I knew it would reduce to its component blocks, so I figured losing a dwarf or two was an acceptable cost versus dismantling it floor by floor)

Second, I learned the fun way that grates can be targeted for building in an area supported by only grates, but can't actually be supported by the grates.

Third, I found windmills will only power mechanisms if placed OVER them.  Grumble, dismantle, build more walls...

Fourth, I discovered my cistern was too small at the same time I found my exhaust pump didn't work the way I wanted, because my dwarves started canceling jobs due to dangerous terrain.

And in upcoming news, it seems I will have to gauge the onset of winter carefully, since my map freezes and the waterfall is right over my entrance.

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RickiusMaximus:
<STRONG>I would just like to add that I have found when you drop water directly through grates the mist generated is usually generated below the grates where it strikes the ground and then filters up through the grates.

I would recommend allowing the water to impact on a single floor tile that is surrounded by grates or bars, this way the water impacts, generates loads of mist and then drains away afterwards.</STRONG>

This is right. I now changed my system to this kind of setup. It generates mist even when the system is almost out of water. Previous setup didn't. Or it did but only to the lower level.

code:
So preferably this kind of system:
=======
++#+#++
++#+#++
++#+#++
=======
In this system the water falls on the floor tiles between the grates.
than this:

=======
+++#+++
+++#+++
+++#+++
=======
Here the water falls directly on grates.

= - wall
+ - floor
# - grate

um-beer coockies!

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Nobody else has said it.

AUGH JPEG

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.