Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven ale roast?  (Read 5984 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven ale roast?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 07:26:27 pm »

seeds seeds horse meat and syrup

You mean like this? Sesame chicken:

^ grass seeds (sesame), ~grass seeds (rice), syrup (sweet and sour sauce), and meat.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:31:11 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 07:54:47 pm »

seeds seeds horse meat and syrup

You mean like this? Sesame chicken:

^ grass seeds (sesame), ~grass seeds (rice), syrup (sweet and sour sauce), and meat.
Pretty sure your local Kentucky doesnt sell horse meat though, right guys? Right? Come on tell me I am right...

I'm never eating KFH
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 01:01:25 am »

Pretty sure your local Kentucky doesnt sell horse meat though, right guys? Right? Come on tell me I am right...

They sell it, they are too modest to admit it. H is finer than C. Also, rebranding to M (mixed) would be too costly.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 03:43:03 am »

They sell it, they are too modest to admit it. H is finer than C. Also, rebranding to M (mixed) would be too costly.

People would realize, just 'cause the watery chicken (the cheap stuff you get everywhere, not the "real", non-industrially raised birds) tastes like nothing at all (were it not for the sauce you put on it) and horse meat has quite some flavour of its own. I had some raw horse last year on a trip to South Korea, it was really good, somewhere between beef and game.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 03:51:39 am »

The cook in my fort made an elephant eye roast that contains eight elephant eyes.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 04:15:26 am »

People would realize, just 'cause the watery chicken (the cheap stuff you get everywhere, not the "real", non-industrially raised birds) tastes like nothing at all (were it not for the sauce you put on it) and horse meat has quite some flavour of its own. I had some raw horse last year on a trip to South Korea, it was really good, somewhere between beef and game.

I don't think people would realize. There are cases of "beef" consisting solely of horse meat in Europe, and most ground "beef" and "pork" has some horse meat. I even know about a case where above 5% of meat was rat, based on DNA testing. There was a cache of illegal meat found in the centre of my city, allegedly used by Chinese and Vietnamese shops, though police was somehow unable to determine the final customer. Some of this meat was from dogs for example. Sure, horse meat is different to chicken, but there are ways to prepare it and make more similar, starting with bleach. You don't need 100% exchange rate.

I'm not sure KFC sells burgers (ground meat) because last time I was in KFC some 15 years ago, but I would be surprised if not-chicken meat was found in such burgers ONLY because I'd rather expect a bribe to be paid to cover such things.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 12:38:02 pm »

Ale, wine, beer, and fat.... That'd be absolutely disgusting! Wait, what? My previously depressed dwarf is ecstatic from eating that?... Err, okay.
Actually it just sounds like fair food.  Deep fried booze would sell like hotcakes...

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »

Horse meat is not illegal in the U.S. but it is illegal to pass it off as something else, obviously. If you have a big bucket of "chicken" then it needs to be chicken.

Actually, I don't even think it's legal to just say "meat," I think you need to specify somewhere what type it is, for any meat.

An additional factor for horses in particular is that there are zero licensed horse slaughterhouses in the U.S., so there's no practical way to get horse meat here anyway unless it is imported.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 08:37:01 pm »

Thanks, GavJ, because of that post I went and brushed up on horse-meat law, courtesy of Wikipedia :> Apparently the export of horse meat is very common globally, with many thousand tons created each year.. I don't think I'd eat one outside of a dire emergency (I've watched one too many "man and his horse" movies..), but I'd have a taste just for the obligatory "oh, it chews like meat x and tastes like meat y!" bit.. Unrelated, but I've also fed raw chicken to chickens, and tasted my cremated father's ashes ("oh, it chews like sand and tastes like sulfer and eggs!") ;)

Anyway, I've disabled my booze for cooking purposes even though I'm overflowing with nearly all types of food and plenty of varied drink.. Mostly just worried about the last drops of one of the rarer boozes being used for cooking instead of potentially making a dwarf less sad..

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:25:58 am »

An additional factor for horses in particular is that there are zero licensed horse slaughterhouses in the U.S., so there's no practical way to get horse meat here anyway unless it is imported.

There is a practical way, but it's illegal. Most of house meat eaten in the Europe was produced in countries which have legal slaugtherhouses and then exported as something else and mixed with beef or pork. Both Canada and Mexico produce huge amount of horse meat, so it's possible something similar happens there. Also, there are illegal slaughterhouses.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 08:26:32 am »

Horse meat is not illegal in the U.S. but it is illegal to pass it off as something else, obviously. If you have a big bucket of "chicken" then it needs to be chicken.

Actually, I don't even think it's legal to just say "meat," I think you need to specify somewhere what type it is, for any meat.

I once saw "potted meat product" in a camping goods store. We were kind of disturbed by it, since we couldn't find anywhere where it said what TYPE of meat it was. (Generic SPAM from unknown origins... yum.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 09:45:25 am »

How are you getting your dwarves to cook using liquids (milk, syrup, alcohol) in 40.13?

My cook seems determined to make lavish meals out of nothing but eggs - even though the egg stockpile is far away from the kitchen compared to the liquids stockpile.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 10:50:54 am »

Try making several stockpiles equidistant from the kitchen, each with a different type of ingredient, and set all of them to give to the kitchen. This restricts the kitchen from taking ingredients from anything but those stockpiles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 11:20:02 am »

AFAIK, kitchens still absolutely prefer solid items stored in containers and will not touch anything else before those are used up. You might need to link a kitchen both to the liquids store and a barrel-less stockpile with eggs or something like that.

BTW - haven't tried this of late, but cooks appear to always want to combine a "fetch ingredient" with a "remove from container" job; i.e. take solids out of barrels (can only be done with solids, not liquids) _or_ take leaves/seeds out of bags (can't be done with flours, so they cooked just fine with liquids in .34.11).

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 12:19:47 pm »

Meh, hopefully eventually Toady changes it so that if you specify "lavish" it forces the ingredients to be of four different types... so one each of meat / fish / eggs / plant extract / drink / plants / fruit+leaves / seeds / cheese / fat / paste / pressed material / animal extract / misc liquid.

There's definitely enough categories these days that it would be a reasonable restriction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3