Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven ale roast?  (Read 5976 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Dwarven ale roast?
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:44:01 pm »

Seems like my dwarves wanted a drink that you can eat..

Known bug, I'm assuming? :) He almost made enough for everyone in the fort to get one..

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven ale roast?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:45:40 pm »

Known bug, I'm assuming? :) He almost made enough for everyone in the fort to get one..
Not a bug, as far as I know, it's just that dwarven ale was the most abundant ingredient in the roast.  There is at least one solid ingredient in there, that's for sure.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:50:31 pm »

Not a bug, as far as I know, it's just that dwarven ale was the most abundant ingredient in the roast.  There is at least one solid ingredient in there, that's for sure.
More specifically, I believe it was the first ingredient picked up.  A 'meal' is any four ingredients, at LEAST one of which is a solid.  It can be made of ale, wine, beer, and fat.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:02:35 pm »

Ale, wine, beer, and fat.... That'd be absolutely disgusting! Wait, what? My previously depressed dwarf is ecstatic from eating that?... Err, okay.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:08:56 pm »

Ale, wine, beer, and fat.... That'd be absolutely disgusting! Wait, what? My previously depressed dwarf is ecstatic from eating that?... Err, okay.
My favorite, is when you have a meal of cow fat, cow fat, cow fat, and cow fat.  Literally just a pile of grease and fat with no spice or filler.  Like chewing on fatty bacon, but without the bacon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:23 pm »

Oh... Gawd, that's gross! I know how they make the ale, wine, beer, and fat roasts though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:19:58 am »

My favorite, is when you have a meal of cow fat, cow fat, cow fat, and cow fat.  Literally just a pile of grease and fat with no spice or filler.  Like chewing on fatty bacon, but without the bacon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muktuk
http://thefoodblog.com.au/2012/03/the-tradition-of-eating-pure-fat.html
And it was once extremely common prior to other easily available commercial oils to just eat slices of bread slathered with lard. Not "pure," though, no.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:22:29 am »

Ah yes, masterful lard fry-ups.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:24:48 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 11:11:19 am »

Rules for prepared food are pretty simple: the _first_ item the cook takes must be solid, the _last_ item gives the meal its name. Apart from that, anything cookable and allowed will be used, but solid items in containers (mainly barrels, but apparently also bags?) are preferred whenever possible.

All-lard roasts are much rarer now that tallow doesn't unstack upon rendering any more. Roasts from 4x (or more) quarry bush leaves are still quite popular.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:43:56 am »

All of those, ale, wine, beer, and fat, are generally used in cooking in various ways. Granted, they're usually not the entirety of the ingredients.

Trust me though, all that stuff is far better for you than the artificial crap meant to cheaply replace those things that they put in today's food.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »

Look how Gelatin is made, especially prior to current forms.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »

Good thing heart disease and liver cirriosis don't exist in dwarf fortress. Also, maybe your dwarves just wanted to sing a drinking song without having to drink.

Ooooooh... let's drink a-drink a-drink to Lily the Pink, the Pink, the Pink, the s-savior of the dwarven ra-ha-hace!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 02:57:05 pm »

pretty sure dwarves are immune to heart attacks. I had a dwarf whose heart was cyan in the wound screen and it didn't affect him one bit (though  it was reported as a major injury)

the dwarven body uses alcohol in the same way we drink water. pretty sure they're immune to alcohol poisoning. if not, I don't know what cruel, merciless god created them and I do not want to follow him/her.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 04:13:17 pm »

I just wish toady would implement better checks and balances into dwarven cooking, such that you cannot have repeated ingredients in a prepared meal.

EG, eggs, spam, spam, spam and spam is not allowed, but eggs, bacon, sausage, and spam is.

I groan every time I see a masterful giant omelette. (made from finely minced turkey eggs, masterfully minced turkey eggs, minced turkey eggs, and finely minced turkey eggs.) It defeats the purpose of having prepared meals ( the idea is to have many different ingredients in the food, so that the chances of a 'favorite meal item' being consumed increase) if every item in the meal is identical.

The code to prevent this from happening is literally 4 lines long.

Currently, overseers have to engage in radical levels of micromanagement in the kitchens to prevent all-tallow-roasts from being made. Clearly players want roasts to have variety.

*sigh*

Still, one could* theoretically roast an alcoholic food substance if they were clever.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3