Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: deadEarth Roleplay  (Read 2359 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: deadEarth Roleplay
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 11:19:50 pm »

Oh, but I didn't actually read through the rules before I agreed to it, and they're so early 2000's amateur production.

You sure you wouldn't settle for a character conversion to Atomic Highway? 'Cause otherwise you're going to be fighting nothing but hordes of moxen.

Also, that's dirty doings, leaning on my lawful nature to force me to run something that is clearly an artifact of Chaos most foul. And Atomic Highway is so well-organized and pretty looking. And such a simple conflict-resolution system it has. And dem bookmarks on the PDF.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:41:26 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 11:55:09 pm »

Maybe we could start a project "deadEarth Fan Revision" and fix up all the shittiness.

Anyway, character will be up soon. Currently rolling mutations. Apparently I have twelve.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:12:30 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 11:57:32 pm »

After Kadzar runs the vanilla or someone takes over, we'll do that.
;)
Look! The guy who reviewed and compiled it started already. Check out the revised mutations list; don't actually use it, though, since Kadzar said in the OP not to. ;)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 12:36:47 am »

Sadly, looking at my schedule, I'm not sure I have time to make a sheet. I'll see what I can do.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 12:52:25 am »

And your sig is borked, too.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 12:54:14 am »

Oh, thanks for the heads up.
Edit: And that's why you don't scrimp on [/url] tags.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:57:35 am by My Name is Immaterial »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 01:57:32 am »

Sheet
Some bits are probably missing.

Name: Ignatius Montgomery
Moves: 15
Strength: -2
Resilience: 5
Weight: 122 lb.
Height: 61" (5'1)
Carry weight: 25 lb. = 10 (strength) + 15 (backpack)
$tandards: 13

Spoiler: Radiation Mutations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty sure that stunning people with Befuddle and then opening up with (potentially) 30d6 damage in one round from dual-wielding handguns should be pretty neat. Here's to hoping I don't run out of ammo.

Note that while that sounds powerful, with -2 strength and pretty much no defences besides running away, this guy is only overpowered when fighting one opponent who has a low Reason skill. If he runs out of bullets or skill points (for Befuddle), he's screwed. Or he's attacked before he can use Befuddle. He's a glass cannon, in other words, who is only useful in very specific situations.

Edit: He's dressed now.
Edit2: Apparently Befuddle relies on Resolve, not Reason, so I'm going to have to reshuffle skill points so I can get some of that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:20:13 am by InsanityIncarnate »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:12 am »

Sheet
Clothes and food? :P
You'll get heatstroke and then die of hunger.
The Cyan Menace

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 09:04:08 am »

Sheet

Laurie Roach
Moves: 13
Strength: 1
Resilience: 7
Weight: 146
Height: 73 (6.083)
Carry Weight: 55 LB (30 base + 10 strength + 15 backpack)
$tandards: 2

Spoiler: Radiation Mutations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:26 am »

PTW might make a sheet later :D
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 11:10:30 am »

See now, if you guys really wanted me to play by the rules, I think I would have to do something about those guns. Since II's .45's are military-level availability, he'd have to have gotten them at a military trade depot and have to get under 50 on a percentile roll to acquire them ( I think probably rolling for each one, so that you can't buy infinite numbers of any item. But if that's the case, would you stop when you come up with a number over the availability, which might skew the roll, or do you roll per request, in which case there's the possibility to get anything if you ask enough times?)

I can't seem to find it again, but there's a blog post on the Penny Arcade site where Gabe/Mike Krahulik is talking about doing a playtest for his Thornwatch game, and how at a certain point you need to be hands off on the play test and just let whoever 's running it be confused and simply take notes on their confusion, rather than coming in and saying "oh, yeah, here's how you do that." I think it's called a blind playtest. The guy who made this game obviously never did that. I'm not even sure if he ever let anyone else try running this game before he published it, because just looking at this game, so many questions come up about things that are simply fundamental, that I'm sure if someone other than JT Smith was running the game, he'd go "oh, yeah, I need to clarify that a bit".
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »

Sheet
Clothes and food? :P
You'll get heatstroke and then die of hunger.
... crap.

But I can only carry ten pounds. I need that for my guns! And bullets!
I also assumed that we were already wearing some clothes. You know, like in a sensible RPG. I guess I'll have to change that.
And apparently backpacks increase carry weight, so that's something to sink my remaining moneys into.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »

Because "carry stuff more efficiently" got the last word dropped and is now "carry stuff more".
You have to buy clothes IRL, so THAT bit is more realistic. And they'd be harder to find in a wasteland, since I'm sure sweatshops would be abolished and shopping centers bombed out, so being naked for lack of clothes is not unreasonable.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 [2]