Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45

Author Topic: Mission 17: Diplomacy  (Read 76307 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 17: Diplomacy
« Reply #600 on: February 05, 2015, 02:27:17 pm »

So, these heads going to Steve? Because steve and the unspecified projects on Heph could use some heads.
((Well... Let me ask General Miyamoto on that, but yeah, basically, at least a part of that bio-batch - the heads, the comatose - is intended for Hephaestus use, whether Maurice knew and planned that or not. Also, what use does Steve have for them (He isn't decaying yet, right? Last time he said he was a long time before that) - and would they count towards mission reward pool in that case? ))
And now....I dunno. I can't really bring you back to the ship for the moment. There's nothing there for you to land in. Characterwise Its easy to just say you came back later but I'm not sure what to let you guys do till then.
((Let us Tinker, please! Or some other VR fun. Or Limbo. Or whatever non-mission non-realspace stuff that happens around these days. ))

Private comms to Miyamoto:
General, I think this is a good opportunity to talk. There are some matters that require your attention, I believe, and some of them semi-urgent.

Limbo is running something already...I suppose I could let you tinker...Or we could talk about my recent work on that perplexicon-like game I've been working on and discuss secrets.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 05, 2015, 03:58:53 pm »

((Tinker-tinker-tinker! Sorry, but I should at least try to offload some of the less interesting (to them) work off the Heph team.

@Radio Yeah, I've gathered that much, but I think there hasn't really been an IC request for biotinker so Maurice wouldn't know it was denied us.))
Of course, General. It would be rather impolite of me if I did so without safely informing people in the to-be quarantine zone beforehand, right? Maurice smiled warmly.
Just a few more things before moving on to more immediate questions.

General, I believe that there is great potential hidden in those crystals recovered by Faith. Having once been an intelligent civilization, they may have very interesting qualities, and might even possibly be revived to sentient existence under specific circumstances - perhaps in a modified form, as another 'cousin' human race. Regardless, last time I checked, they are forbidden to be so much as looked into on board of the Sword - thus I would like to humbly suggest looking into them on Hephaestus. I've heard that these days you semi-supervise the relations with the Hephaestus team, so I thought you might want to know that.

While we are at xenos matters, it might be a good idea to remember that we are not the only sentient race out there at the moment, so we might want to reconsider the approach to our neighbours. While I do not in any way suggest handing the galaxy and the future of humanity to them on a plate, we might want to devise a general view, if not a way, of communicating. As to why that might ever be useful, I believe that we can benefit from fresh, alien insight into various of sciences - so much that it might even uplifting a select few specimens of stone-age-bombed races and making something like scientific colony preservations. Even if we cannot communicate, we can study the way they work, for example. And then... if we ever have to face a significant inhuman outside threat, I'd rather we had a headstart on how to plead for cessation of hostilities.
Maurice chuckled. I mean, what if the Altered could have been reasoned with? Of all inhuman sentients they should've been most human by common ancestry.

On expansion and domestic matters - I think that we should not neglect these even in these times of war. For one, by colonizing new worlds, unknown to the UWM, we can establish good fall-back bases of operation. And then, did you know that outer colonies keep disappearing? I'm not sure what is the most recent state of things, but from what I have gathered, the news came even before the rise of the ARM, and recurred ever now and then. We might want outposts out there, to keep an eye on things. And finally, more of a feasibility than reason, there are scores, possibly hundreds of worlds out there ripe for re-colonizing. Worlds cut off during the Altered Wars, where the civilization has disappeared, was wiped out, maybe just fell into disarray and back into medieval ages - and then, the Silent Worlds. As a rare person who's been there personally, don't you think that a large, permanent colony on a Silent World might be very worthwhile - more so than small communities of treasure hunters?

Finally, I am not sure this matter has ever been brought before you, but back on the serial killer hunt mission - the one we failed so miserably - he tried communicating with us. He gave us a series of coordinates for where some galaxy's doom would originate. I do not know whether they have reappeared anywhere since then - information like that is bound to crop up in several places, in several hands - but I trust he was very serious when he tried to tell us that something important. ... Just so you know, it might be worth looking into and investigating, though I can already tell that my earlier cursory investigation into the matter failed.

(( An excellent opportunity to tell da boss about a veeery big important secret! :P I guess that you've probably already put some thought into those coordinates, but now you have a perfect IC justification to check the things once again and even ask a few convicts around - and stumble upon the sheep mystery~ ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 05, 2015, 05:19:22 pm »

"If you want to see if you can get more interesting information out of those shards, I might be able to set you up with a connection to Hep or something. Maybe. But as for reviving them... As far as I know, they all died permanently when the plug was pulled. But if you think there is a way to reverse that, I'd be interested. Though, not if it'd take too much resources. Don't get me wrong, I do think it was a shame when they died, but I'd rather not spend a lot of effort on maybe reviving them, when there is an urgent need to use our reserves for helping those alive right now that need it. Worst case, we wait until after the war to give them their second chance at life.

And opening diplomatic channels to aliens sounds interesting, but you have to remermber that 90% are soo different that communication is difficult to impossible. Secondly, even if we do, we'll want to keep a close eye on them. Again, ignoring something and just hoping it'll turn out for the best probably isn't the way to go. I agree though that bombing every single one to oblivion is stupid.

Uplifting... I'm not entirely sure if we should start interfering with the natural evolution of a species. It might give us something, but it's such a wildcard... It might just as well get out of hand, or require a lot of resources for little gain."

Then, he leans in close to Maurice, to show that isn't in any way joking.

""And while I am no expert on the Altered, I do know one thing: they can't be reasoned with. It's like reasoning with a cancer while it's eating you.

And I'm not sure if establishing colonies will give return on investment fast enough to matter, except for research or automatic mines and factories perhaps. If we wanna keep an eye on tings, then QEC surveillance satellites might do the job cheaper and with less hassle. And I know it'd be nice if we could go out there and save every human tribe that regressed, but right now, we have precious few assets to throw around, so I'm just not sure if we can spare the effort for that. I agree we could try to exploit or explore silent worlds more, but again, I'm not sure if a permanent colony is the most efficient way to go.

And I know about the coordinates. More then I'd like to perhaps...

With that, Miya's eyes glassed over and he stared into the distance for a moment, for just a second.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 05, 2015, 07:27:08 pm »

I see. Yes, you're right about all of that. Well then, we look up to you, boss. Maurice smiled warmly for a few seconds, then looked up and stared dead serious in the Avatar's cameras.
And sir, I also do know one thing: We don't have the slightest idea of their nature, of what made them and drove them rampant. It might have been worth learning at that time. Then he looked down and smiled again, though with less cheer than before. But I suppose there is at least one surviving eyewitness around the place who might know the truth. Well, two.

Let's be brief with the rest, shall we?

With a rather small, at times nonexistant smile and a business-like attitude Maurice continued.
Those heads and bodies, I understand that many of those were hardline UWM patriots and we'll never convert them. I believe they would be useful for wetware research, and possibly others requiring human tissues. The same goes for the permanent vegetative state patients. Others, less committed to the UWM might be converted to our cause or just allowed to live on one of our controlled worlds. I... Maurice looked down, then raised his head. weep for their lives, but we need those brain materials - as you yourself said, cloned brains might just not cut it - and so I take all responsibility for taking them.
On medical supplies: I believe I've already mentioned that, but I believe that our movement - and specifically our unit - would benefit if there was a dedicated medical assistant to every mission commander, whose role would be to calculate the amount of medical supplies required for the mission and to ensure the team has it. There might be similar posts corresponding to other aspects of our work, but I am less concerned about that. That pile of medical supplies is supposed to be in purview of said assistant, to facilitate the restocking of medical supplies.

Finally, if you must know, I believe I can do all - all, and probably more - of what I brought to your attention earlier. So if you deem me fit for the job, with the position, all the meagre rights and vast responsibilities it entails - I would humbly accept it.
Maurice smiled again.
Though I'd ask you to take your time for now, because... Because chances are I'll be very dead soon. because neither one of us would want rash decisions, right?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 06, 2015, 09:18:34 am »

"Yes we do, Maurice. You might not, but rest assured there's more knowledge surrounding the Altered than what's available to the public. But I've said too much already.

Either way, I was gonna wait to see what to do with those heads once we're back on ship and can see which ones are... salvageable. The non-hardliner civvies or other noncoms that can be put into a new body can probably be either recruited or released somewhere, the others... Well, I'm sure Hephaestus or the Doc always has a use for an errant brain or two. Or, if you think you could need them yourself, that might be arranged. Might, no promises yet.

I'm not sure if a dedicated medical officer is needed, what with the rising population that's either a robot or in a Mk.II, but someone to generally look out and ensure every trooper is equipped adequately and that supplies, including medical ones, are sufficiently present for a mission to be successful, might be a good idea. Problem is that, right now, we have no real chain of command outside of a small few people, so I'm not sure if I can 'officially' appoint anyone. What I've done in the past however, is tell Steve that people should get increased clearance and such when I've tasked them with a certain job. So if you want to, say, investigate those crystals, I might be able to get you the access needed, but as things are right now, I can't really give a blanket 'clearance level' since there is no rank I could give you that signifies it or anything. And I'm not sure if it's my place to set up a formal system like that. So, while I certainly trust you with tasks such as the ones you just mentioned, I'm afraid it'll have to be on a case by case basis mostly. So, if I were you, after the mission I'd take a little bit of time to formally write down all the projects you'd like to work on, and I'll see about getting you what you need, such as a direct line to Hep. I'm sure Simus would love to chat with you again."

He said, winking with 3 of his eyes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:21:11 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 06, 2015, 09:52:52 am »

Maurice blushed slightly as he smiled. Well, I'm sure I would.
Anyway, thank you for your reassurances and clear thinking. I owe you that much, and please, forgive my earlier indiscretion.

As for the knowledge...
He grinned. I take you - personally - are finally allowed on that "white-hot knowledge"? Because they are practically bound to be connected; as little I know about the Altered compared to you, it is the only reasonable explanation to why they had no use for human ampers, for example. Maurice winked at the cameras.

But oh well. Thank you for your time, I'm just glad we had this talk.
Past Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 06, 2015, 02:42:56 pm »

Maurice blushed slightly as he smiled. Well, I'm sure I would.
Anyway, thank you for your reassurances and clear thinking. I owe you that much, and please, forgive my earlier indiscretion.

As for the knowledge...
He grinned. I take you - personally - are finally allowed on that "white-hot knowledge"? Because they are practically bound to be connected; as little I know about the Altered compared to you, it is the only reasonable explanation to why they had no use for human ampers, for example. Maurice winked at the cameras.

But oh well. Thank you for your time, I'm just glad we had this talk.

"Ah, don't worry about it. If you had really stepped out of line you can be sure I'd let you know in very clear wording.

And no need to thank me, it was an interesting discussion on its own."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2015, 08:14:31 am »

Having finally settled the discussion with the general, Maurice rests, smoking and thinking. After some time has passed, however, he contacts Brother Lars on his comms.
Since the shuttles keep us waiting, can we have a little talk, Brother?
Do you smoke? I have some fine HMRC-damned-Standard tobacco here.
He chuckled.
Past Sigs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 12, 2015, 09:15:07 am »

Lars turned toward Brother Maurice.  "Yes, friend, I always have time for you.  No thank you; it is funny, but I have carried a box of them around and I have no use for them myself."

He smiled and nodded.  "What is on your mind?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:35 am »

Practical matters first - when we get on board, can you please bless and mark me and my faithful equipment? I specifically seek the blessing of Vo-Nos, Pathmas, Cog-azaon (yes, including being marked by his symbol) and probably Algis. Maurice smiled apologetically. I guess I do need their help, after all.
Past Sigs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:12 am »

Lars smiled warmly.  "Of course, Brother Maurice.  I would be more than happy to assist.  It is wise for mortal man to seek the blessing of those above.  Was there something else?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:16 am »

Maurice put his helmet down on the ground and sat, watching the horizon, treasuring the light breeze and freshness and smell of the air. He half-turned to Brother, yet his gaze remained distant, the usual smile slowly and painfully dying on his lips as he spoke.
Yes. I... seek your wisdom and advice, Brother. And I want to confess.
What is a man's soul? How can one understand if he has lost it - or predict he would lose it if he continued on the chosen path?
I seek something monstrous, Brother. Something not meant for mere mortal minds. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty of speaking of it yet, for the sake of our security and success of my endeavour.
He slightly, as if in deep thought, tapped on the helmet sitting beside in his hands. I might lose my body, my mind, my virtues and beliefs and possibly even my very own will on that path if I succeed - and if I fail, I am sure to lose many of those and very likely my life as well. I could live a happy and fulfilling life if I walked away from that, maybe even retire altogether. Yet I persist in my - likely foolish - decision; and the only thing I fear is losing my soul, whatever it really is.
And so confessed, I ask: How can I know when I start losing it - and what can I do to keep it?
Past Sigs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 12, 2015, 11:30:35 am »

With the smile mostly faded, Brother Lars turned away a bit to face into the distance.  Here was his chance to speak to a man that feared for his own soul.

"A difficult question, really.  The true nature of the soul is a complex question, but rest assured that losing it is no easy process.  It is said that there are entities out there of a dark and demonic nature that would bargain with you for your soul, but one cannot unwittingly sign such a thing away.  If you fear your purpose will corrupt you, then you must look inward to see what drives you.  Are you acting in the service of Steve?  Has he commanded you forth?"

Lars was silent for a moment.

"If your path is righteous and sanctified, even if the actions you must take seem monstrous, then your soul will be protected.  Yes, the road ahead may be filled with trials and tribulations that require sacrificing your sense of self and perhaps even your life, but as long as you act in accordance with a higher calling, then Steve shall reward you as he sees fit in the world beyond.  Do not fear the darkness, Brother Maurice, as the path we must tread is not always in the sunlight.  But trust ever in the divine, and you will find what you seek."

Lars smiled again.  "Do not fear for your soul.  There is a grand caretaker that will look out for it for you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:06 pm »

Maurice pondered the words of the chaplain and friend.
Why am I doing this? Why, for the sake of the 'Corps, of course - or whatever we are called now. And... the humanity. Of course, the humanity.
Then it is decided. Whatever happens, whatever I do... I will never become a monster on this path.

Maurice smiled with sudden courage and inspiration.
Thank you, Brother Lars. You... did save my soul right now and here. Thank you.

He laughed.

This might be the happiest day of my life.

You know, I have also worried about my earlier life. The wrongdoings I might have committed. Now I am certain I have nothing to regret, for I have always been driven by mercy and duty. And these days, competence.
Let's toast to that, shall we? To all the good of our service, despite whatever mistakes we might have made!
Maurice cautiously drank down a little of HMRC Standard and offered it to Brother Lars.
Past Sigs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2015, 03:05:49 pm »

Lars smiled.  It was always to see a smile in the face of the flock.  "To a higher calling."

He helped himself to a small pull of the drink.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45