Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 45

Author Topic: Mission 17: Diplomacy  (Read 76345 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 17: Diplomacy
« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2014, 03:01:22 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to Steve, cc Diplo team
Power?
Armory?
Amp?

Sword Support?
Bombs?

Quote from: Lyra to Miya, cc Diplo team, Steve
Sword bomb all, Team circle guard perimeter?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:04:37 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »

"Ok team. A plan's forming, but I'm not sure on some details yet. For example,"

Quote from: Lyra to Steve, cc Diplo team
Power?
Armory?
Amp?

Sword Support?
Bombs?

Quote from: Lyra to Miya, cc Diplo team, Steve
Sword bomb all, Team circle guard perimeter?

"This is something I was just wondering myself. Biggest problem I see is that the sword might not have a weapon between 'precise small laser' and 'overkill kinetic killer'. Or that Steve really wants us to do it by hand, to serve as an example."

Ask Steve if having him bomb the entire site is an option.

"If, however, that is not the case, then I come to the following analysis:

Firstly, no attempt at stealth. If anything goes wrong and they are able to call for mommy, it's mission failed. Secondly, Flint and me carry some ranged firepower, but beyond that nothing that isn't an amper or restricted to medium range. We do, however, carry quite some close-range prowess, so my guess is that trying to close the distance to the base right after Steve has shot the comms would be our best bet. I'd be convenient if we could lay down some fire while the others advanced, but since me and Flint are also the most armored among us, I think it'd be best if we both advanced at the head, so as to draw the brunt of whatever return fire they could muster. I think splitting into two groups would be best, since it should let us make fuller use of our troopers without becoming too divided and losing coherency. And it'd help safeguard against an ambush or trap, especially since most have the mobility needed to rapidly reposition.

Unless Steve is affirmative about the full bombing of the site, This is how I think we'll do it. Unless any of you have a major objection?"

((will post map later once steve answers on the bombardment question))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #332 on: November 28, 2014, 04:46:48 pm »

((There's no need for Steve to answer the bombardment question because he very clearly said he could blow the entire place up quite easily. The only reason we're here is to demonstrate to our (hopefully) New allies that our soldiers are capable. It's a show. A demonstration like the one we did on the firing range, but this one on live targets.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 28, 2014, 05:28:13 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to Miya, cc Diplo team, steve
Teams?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 28, 2014, 05:59:41 pm »

((There's no need for Steve to answer the bombardment question because he very clearly said he could blow the entire place up quite easily. The only reason we're here is to demonstrate to our (hopefully) New allies that our soldiers are capable. It's a show. A demonstration like the one we did on the firing range, but this one on live targets.))
((I know, just going through the IC works. I already made a map and everything:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Besides, can't hurt to ask.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 28, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to Miya
Why no motor pool? let them battlesuit?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 28, 2014, 07:19:38 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to Miya
Why no motor pool? let them battlesuit?

"Because what we think might be their motor pool is pretty far away in their base, from the angle that we'll be coming in. I'm gonna ask Steve to really hit those buildings with his lasers after shooting out the comms, but if we wanna go for them in person immediately it means cutting through a lot of unknown enemy terrain. I dunno, but if they have any sort of static defenses hidden around the base I'd rather not see you guys stumble into that headfirst.

Anyways, that map is only temporary. Once we get underway plans may have to adapt according to the situation, so it's not possible to plan too far ahead."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2014, 08:12:35 pm »

"I think where we strike first doesn't really matter. They are probably already on high alert and there are no high value targets in the area, except maybe capturing any commanders alive. Any plan for a powerful first strike we make that hinges on their forces being in a certain location is very likely to fail when their forces aren't in that certain location.

Why not surround them? Works well regardless of where we strike first and it lessens the chances of an ambush since it avoids going for the big targets directly and it allows us to judge where their forces are and how well defender their buildings are.

A team can move in from the northwest and wreck their stuff before they know what hit 'em, making their way to the barracks and then to what's left of the target building, simultaneously cutting off their western escape route.

Meanwhile, while they are distracted responding to your strike and the orbital bombardment, I and whoever else is willing can take care of the east, flying around the base and going in through the main gate here. We can shoot north a bit on our way there to distract them from your attack and make your push easier.
We hold that point for as long as it is necessary, covering the north and the west as best as possible while you move in. We can use the wreckage from the destruction of these structures as cover. Here, here and here.
When you have reached the southern road and can now cover it, we can make our way northeast along the main road, destroying stuff while you keep making your way towards the target building. That is, assuming we haven't managed to eliminate all resistance in the south earlier, in which case we would have already advanced.
Seeing that all other avenues of escape are cut off and that they have no chance of victory, they are more likely to try taking these two passages, more likely the one in the west since the one in the east will be in our line of fire.
At that point, as long as we can keep pushing north, we should be fine. Maybe make some aerial strikes to prevent them from regrouping and making an organized retreat.
If there's someone Steve really wants dead here, we can drop a sod sniper team in the north and have Steve give them info about high value targets they should keep an eye out. After their main force has been routed, our work here is done, no? We've proven we are superior. There's no need for us to fight any more.

If we really do need to kill everyone to help the people of this planet, then I and any other heavy units can then move in and mop up the escaping forces from the air.
Or we could ask Steve to make a line of artillery fire there and there (preferably a literal one) to cut off their escape after his strike of the target building.

But I am really hoping we can get them to surrender when it comes to that. And that Steve accepts their surrender. Both for their sake and ours.
Because a man will do anything to survive. When given no alternative, he will fight to the death."

((Note that Flint drew up this plan to give people a chance to escape and prevent unnecessary loss of life while still completing the objective of destroying the enemy base and routing the enemy army.

A more "correct" (meaning more likely to get more kills) plan would have immediate artillery strikes in the northern part of the base to prevent escape from there and destroy those buildings before they have a chance to do anything. That would however result in more pressure to blue team since the northern forces will try to go southwards, meaning it has to be better reinforced and/or split into two separate squads, one focusing on the south, west and north and one focusing purely on north.

Just realized that that amount of planning might be useless because piecewise is not running a strategy game. Oh well, I already made the plan, might as well post it.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2014, 05:17:35 am »

"Where we strike first does matter, to an extent. Hence why we target their comms first, remember? And we indeed do not know for certain where their forces are, but there are potentially good targets, so why waste the Sword's laser cannons by not giving them a target?"

Why not surround them? Works well regardless of where we strike first and it lessens the chances of an ambush since it avoids going for the big targets directly and it allows us to judge where their forces are and how well defender their buildings are.

"Two reasons: it will spread our forces out, allowing the enemy to take us on piecemeal without one group being able to support the other. If they, say, have a nasty avatar-shaped surprise we want to be able to have one group quickly support the other, without having to fight their way through. Secondly, it means we need to reposition a team quite a bit, and if they spot us during that time, it's game over. Unless we immediately strike with the laser, but then we lose valuable time they can use to set up. And the UWM might be stupid, but I'm not sure if they're stupid enough not to post any sentries or patrols in situations like these, so time is of the essence."

Meanwhile, while they are distracted responding to your strike and the orbital bombardment, I and whoever else is willing can take care of the east, flying around the base and going in through the main gate here. We can shoot north a bit on our way there to distract them from your attack and make your push easier.

"So you wanna fly right through enemy territory not knowing what they could have and set up at the other side of the base? You might make it, but your more vulnerable teammates might not. And again, if they then bog you down there with some forces they can then wield all of their power against one group. If we had more manpower to divide we could consider it, but as of now we have a low number of high power troops.

Finally, to me you seem to make a lot of assumptions about how the UWM will react and their strength. If my plan goes awry, any team should be able to retreat back through secured terrain and await help from the other team. Because I don't want to risk our troops more than necessary, even if we should be fine in theory."

But I am really hoping we can get them to surrender when it comes to that. And that Steve accepts their surrender. Both for their sake and ours. Because a man will do anything to survive. When given no alternative, he will fight to the death."

"A truthful sentiment, but I don't think we can bank on it. If they retreat in any order we can have laser battery strike them, if they scatter to the wind our allies can deal with it later. But probably best to try and limit that, if only to make their jobs easier. Not sure if UWM commanders would ever surrender, but sods certainly won't. But we'll see about that if we get there."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »

Are there any walls around the base?
EDIT: If possible, get a dynamic bonus for gaining access to enemy comms by asking Steve about what the best way to go about doing that would be and checking Gilgamesh for relevant software that could help.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:52:27 pm by Parisbre56 »

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 29, 2014, 01:17:07 pm »

Listen to tactics in utter confusion because I have no tactical ability. Follow the leader blindly.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2014, 02:23:06 pm »

Listen to tactics in utter confusion because I have no tactical ability. Follow the leader blindly.
This.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

It has been such a long time...
Can I still kill? Yes. Do I want to kill, especially since this time it is likely to be up and personal, not any sort of remote bombing or auto-targeting? No, and I shall bleed for them.
Can I not kill, if this is the call? No, for I must. I can only promise them there would be neither viciousness nor savagery, for nothing shall perturb the chill of our deeds we are to commit here.

It has been such a long time...

Commander, I support Lyra's notion. As you correctly pointed out, their motor park is on the opposite side of the base; if anything, it would be quite easy for them to consolidate forces there, out of our immediate reach. Thus, if they do have anything of considerable power in that motor park, it would serve us good if we can stage a diversion right there, before they have that chance to move out and counterattack. Perhaps a small detachment, one or two people, could get over that part of the enemy's base more or less covertly - while everyone in the base is distracted by our main forces, just according to your plan - and prepare to make a crippling strike the moment they try pushing back.
Now, I would volunteer myself, if for nothing else then courtesy, but I have no flight capability. Gilgamesh, while mighty without doubt, is not exactly suited for this kind of subtlety, so we would rather send someone in a Mk III. Thus, I suggest either Mesk, or perhaps Lyra, could perform this maneuver; possibly Bartholomew if he was lent a MFM. Naturally, Mesk bears the least risk, but his pyramid artifact might prove insufficient, unlike a field manipulator or an amp.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:17:41 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #343 on: November 29, 2014, 03:53:31 pm »

"Two reasons: it will spread our forces out, allowing the enemy to take us on piecemeal without one group being able to support the other. If they, say, have a nasty avatar-shaped surprise we want to be able to have one group quickly support the other, without having to fight their way through. Secondly, it means we need to reposition a team quite a bit, and if they spot us during that time, it's game over. Unless we immediately strike with the laser, but then we lose valuable time they can use to set up. And the UWM might be stupid, but I'm not sure if they're stupid enough not to post any sentries or patrols in situations like these, so time is of the essence."
"For the second thing, we are a mile away from the base. If we can't move part of our forces a hundred metres north right now, then I don't see how someone as fa- I mean as shiny white as you could be able to make their way there unnoticed.

For the first thing, even a guy with a rocket launcher or a gauss cannon could ruin one of our days. And we can't all concentrate our fire on a single target because that allows others to attack us. And we can't all stick together because that means that if they have something very powerful or if they use something like a nuke to commit suicide or if one of our space wizards... misfires, then our entire force will be taken out at once."

"So you wanna fly right through enemy territory not knowing what they could have and set up at the other side of the base? You might make it, but your more vulnerable teammates might not.
"Not over. Around. I said around. A few hundred metres away. Much better chances there if we fly low. And I would be staying higher and shooting, attracting attention away from my teammates. Indigo Hydra can destroy any approaching missiles and I like my odds against gauss cannons."

And again, if they then bog you down there with some forces they can then wield all of their power against one group. If we had more manpower to divide we could consider it, but as of now we have a low number of high power troops.
"Which is exactly why we should divide our forces. We have troops that can take care of anything they throw at us single-handedly, as long as they stay alive. And to stay alive they just need to cover all their flanks. So if we use more troops then necessary in one position, then those troops are being wasted. Plus, by only applying pressure in one point, you are giving the enemy time to organize their retreat and prepare things. Their forces can fall back and lead us right into an ambush or they can get into a flanking position. Unless we bomb everything else except for those few buildings you have indicated, which kinda goes against the purpose of this mission."

"Finally, to me you seem to make a lot of assumptions about how the UWM will react and their strength. If my plan goes awry, any team should be able to retreat back through secured terrain and await help from the other team. Because I don't want to risk our troops more than necessary, even if we should be fine in theory."
"If our mission is a failure and we need to retreat, then that is fairly easy with my plan, since all forces are constantly near the edge of the enemy forces, circling around them, at least in the beginning. And I am assuming that we can win, because I want this mission to be a success, because I want this planet to be convinced to join us in our fight for freedom and humanity. If we can not win, then there really is no point in launching this mission and endangering our troops.

Besides, since we have space superiority, a retreat is fairly easy. Everyone pulls back away from the main enemy force and then they call an artillery strike on their previous position to prevent pursuit."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2014, 08:24:35 pm »

Lars shrugged.  He had only planned one military operation, and it had ended with his capture.  He knew to follow his allies.

"I stand ready to support in any way I can.  The Most Holy Steve has recommended a strong decisive strike, so we should follow his commands."

Continue to pray for the safety and success of the team.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 45