Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45

Author Topic: Mission 17: Diplomacy  (Read 76224 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 17: Diplomacy
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

Lars faced the advisor.  "This is what we have brought with us as samples.  We have data on several other items that we can transfer as needed.  Shall we move on?"

Diplomancy
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2014, 01:53:30 am »

((Phlegm-y as in with many H?))

Ugh. I think there must be some sort of typographical error here because I don't think I'll be able to pronounce most of these things. Or understand them for that matter.
I'll just have to hope they talk slowly.
Well, if we do things right, they won't have any reason to start talking quickly.

How about phrases like "Surrender your weapons, your alien trinkets, your booze and your prostitutes"?
See if I can find the phrase they use for greeting and introduction. Something that would allow me to greet someone important and introduce myself to them as a soldier of ARM. And maybe a phrase for farewell or for sealing a deal.

FAKEEDIT: Oh, let's check something:
"Hey, Steve, do they make alcohol here? I know water is rare and all, but my homeworld was probably even worse on that front and we still made some distilled crap that made you feel like your stomach was on fire."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:04 pm »

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting...
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36:47 am »

(( Oh. Wow.
You keep defying expectations. Just added the mechanical muse to the list of 'Ask Piecewise for ER ruleset when this all is over'.
And also, I meant the Doctor part more as 'can he be trusted to serve the humanity and higher purpose', but finding out myself is a fine idea too. First thing back on the ship.))
Overcome with the prophetic fever and ragged pieces of dreams, Maurice shook slightly, and staggered.
What... How... Why...
He slowly closed his eyes, and nodded to himself.
Now this is up to me. Alea iacta est, as Simus would have said, the die is cast. I have the answers, and now I must interpret them right and act upon it, for the good of the humanity and the ARM. His lips curled slightly. And especially for the good of the poor, bloody 'Corps.
His eyes steeled again. Yet one thing is clear, with dazzling, stunning clarity in its simplicity. Whether or not the Doctor can be trusted, whether he is an abomination or a saint, whether he does serve the higher purpose and the humanity or only self - I can answer that for myself.
And, I believe, I can just ask him.

Recover from stun!
Stun recovered!

((Phlegm-y as in with many H?))

Ugh. I think there must be some sort of typographical error here because I don't think I'll be able to pronounce most of these things. Or understand them for that matter.
I'll just have to hope they talk slowly.
Well, if we do things right, they won't have any reason to start talking quickly.

How about phrases like "Surrender your weapons, your alien trinkets, your booze and your prostitutes"?
See if I can find the phrase they use for greeting and introduction. Something that would allow me to greet someone important and introduce myself to them as a soldier of ARM. And maybe a phrase for farewell or for sealing a deal.

FAKEEDIT: Oh, let's check something:
"Hey, Steve, do they make alcohol here? I know water is rare and all, but my homeworld was probably even worse on that front and we still made some distilled crap that made you feel like your stomach was on fire."
Greeting you can find; polite greeting you can find. Extremely polite greeting is there too. Those are easy. Introducing yourself as a soldier is a bit more complex and about the best you can do is string together the words and hazard a guess at the grammar. The farewell and the deal sealing are easy enough though.

>Alcohol exists across the entirety of mankind's domain. I dare say you'll not find a planet without it.

Lars faced the advisor.  "This is what we have brought with us as samples.  We have data on several other items that we can transfer as needed.  Shall we move on?"

Diplomancy

The adviser nods seemingly more to himself then to you.

"Next comes a meal with our minister of domestic affairs. He will be talking with you about your plans for this planet, should we come to some agreement." the adviser says, already leading you away from the firing range and into the palace proper. Despite an architecture that imitates the ancient, the palace is clearly made of modern materials, very robust ones in fact. The long, high gabled hallways and open rooms coated in Lapis and Chrysoberyl tile over reenforced supercrete and, doubtless, metal supports as thick as redwood trunks. The place, despite aping the the designs and feel of the great middle and far east structures, was more fortress then palace; a fallout shelter fashioned after Angkor Wat.

The room which the adviser eventually leads you to is long, high ceilinged and rectangular, enclosing a low, but similarly long and rectangular wooden table. There are several men at the table already, seated on cushions on the floor, rather then chairs. The table is far too large and long for the small amount of food laid out before the men in yellow and turquoise ceramic bowls. The men themselves are quite similar to the adviser already with you; dark skinned, older men with faces deeply creased by worry and intellectual toil. The adviser doesn't introduce any of them, he merely walks around to the other side of the table and takes his place beside them. He does, however, gesture at the cushions on your side of the table.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:44 am »

Sit down on one of the puny cushions, destroying it with my impressive girth.

Or just keep standing. Or sit down if there are appropriate accomodations.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2014, 11:59:46 am »

((They can't handle your girth.))

Sit at table quietly.  Wait for their delegation to speak first; do not make eye contact with anyone yet.

Lars spoke out over the team channel.  "Let them speak first; they are sitting quietly, so we shall do the same."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2014, 12:12:16 pm »

Sit down near Lars.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »

Sit quietly, don't look at faces.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »

Make a quick scan with the battlesuit's CamEyes. Anything wrong or interesting about the room or the people in it? Any of them carrying weapons? Any of them have any implants?

Get out of Gilgamesh and lock him.
Have him facing the table (and any entrances behind them, if possible) so that I (and Steve and the rest of the team through him) can keep an eye on them and the rest of the room with the CamEyes and the rest of Gilgamesh's cameras.
Make sure the battlesuit is not too far away from where I'll be sitting in case I need to get in quickly.

Sit down somewhere near Lars, faceplate down, head down. Look relaxed, but be ready to grab my Variable Laser Rifle if needed.

Quote from: Flint Westwood | To: Team | Subject: Camera Feeds
I'll have Gilgamesh keep an eye on things, just in case. Feel free to ask the boss for access to his feeds so that you can keep an eye on those guys without being "rude".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:06:34 pm by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2014, 03:36:48 pm »

If it appears appropriate, sit down on the cushions.
((Are we even all invited to the meal, or our leader - or speaker, for that part - only?))
Study the people across the table in detail. Among other things, note their behaviour and eye focus.
Also, does our part of the table bear any food? Are we supposed to have meal as well?
Look polite and non-aggressive. Keep the head slightly down, as instructed.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:50 pm »

Look around room my personal view (as in don't move around, but look around) and analyze for any hidden dangers, weapons of opportunity, advantage points or escape points (in case they should be necessary). Mentally catalog them and then do nothing else unless requested.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:23 pm »

I happily curl up on a nearby cushion.

((editing in why I'm happy: My hind legs are sore!))
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:49:31 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »

Jim will remain standing near Miyamoto with both sets of arms crossed.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2014, 03:40:59 am »

((They can't handle your girth.))

Sit at table quietly.  Wait for their delegation to speak first; do not make eye contact with anyone yet.
Lars spoke out over the team channel.  "Let them speak first; they are sitting quietly, so we shall do the same."
((My girth is a lethal weapon, somebody restrain it.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:29 am »

Stand next to Jim and Miya. Look around the place. Stay quiet.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45