Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: Mission 17: Diplomacy  (Read 76374 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 17: Diplomacy
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:46 pm »

((Post to Roll Speech))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:25 am »

A few seconds after it looks like the ice has broken (for example, if Lars does that weird handshake or if we get invited inside or if we are otherwise welcomed) switch the Canon into Blue Lightning mode and stand at ease.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »

Stand on flank
Everyone forms a orderly horizontal line with Miya near its center
Hmm. Can we say it's Lars standing next to me, to give Toaster a chance to do some talking? If that's ok.

Alright, quick overview:
1.You're not gonna talk to the king right away, if ever. You're probably gonna talk to his advisers, most likely military, econ and maybe technology.
2.The best plan of action is to set out the facts of the case (at least the facts we're willing to tell) and then attempt to persuade them that we are a viable partner.
3.Do not, DO NOT attempt to employ flattery. Not only does this society look down upon hollow complements but these guys will see you as potentially untrustworthy if you try to butter them up.
4.Instead, try to dazzle them with the tech on display and convince them of the benefits of a partnership.
5. Other then that, keep your cool, play it by ear and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to call steve.

Quietly relay info to other members of team. Be sure they also know the other things about the planet and culture.

Over private comms:
"Flint, might want to not point weapons directly at them. Gotta at least try to make them feel at ease, y'know? As far as looking menacing though, you do play the part."

The older man, after a few long seconds of just staring warily at the entire display, advances towards Miya and stops a dozen feet in front of him. The man looks up at the avatar, squinting in the sunlight.

"Avatars of War are rarely seen this far out, away from the core worlds and the men that govern them." The old man says, "We manufacture some of the pieces for them here, but I have never seen one in person. Tell me, is its spinal column one of ours?"

Ask Steve on direct line whether the spinal column is indeed from here.

If yes:
"Indeed it is."
If not, then: "No, it isn't."
If no answer, then: "I'm not sure. Could be."

After that, give Lars an opening to begin speaking himself, should he wish to.

((Toaster, if you don't wanna do the talking, no problem, I can do it, but if you do want to, now's the time it seems.))

"Indeed it is."

"Hm" The old man says, nodding, though you can't tell if it is in approval or just recognition. "I am the Military Overseer for his Majesty. You have asked for an audience with His Majesty; may this Overseer ask why? For what purpose does this great warrior come to speak with the highest?"

Lars bows his head deeply, and spoke as Miyamoto finished.  "We bring you greetings from the Allied Revolutionary Movement.  My name is Brother Lars, and I serve as a diplomat and soldier.  I come as an emissary of peace and friendship, and hope that we can establish some sort of equitable partnership that is beneficial to all."

Speak, and give him time for a response.

((The idea is to just break the ice here, and state that we want a partnership here so that everyone can benefit. This is their welcome wagon, so he may not be the person that needs to hear the whole spiel.  I'll let him drive a bit for the moment before we break down into the nitty gritty.

Also, what all new tech did we bring?  Lars has the big new laser, pretty sure Flint has one of the little ones, but what about the Testament?))
You speak up, taking over for Miya.
"We bring you greetings from the Allied Revolutionary Movement.  My name is Brother Lars, and I serve as a diplomat and soldier.  I come as an emissary of peace and friendship, and hope that we can establish some sort of equitable partnership that is beneficial to all."

The old man turns to face you, but doesn't move away from Miya.
"Greetings Diplomat. How fares your family? Was your journey hard?" he says, though the words sound infinitely more formal then actually interested. "Is it you who shall speak for this great warrior? Or shall he speak for himself?"

A few seconds after it looks like the ice has broken (for example, if Lars does that weird handshake or if we get invited inside or if we are otherwise welcomed) switch the Canon into Blue Lightning mode and stand at ease.
You transform the cannon back into a less angry form and make sure to keep it pointed at the ground in front of you, rather then anyone's head.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »

((Gee, seems pw really wants me to talk. But I'm not giving up on you yet Toaster!))

"Greetings Diplomat. How fares your family? Was your journey hard?" he says, though the words sound infinitely more formal then actually interested. "Is it you who shall speak for this great warrior? Or shall he speak for himself?"

"For the moment, indeed he will. If that is acceptable to you."

Talking to them diplomat.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:20:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2014, 04:23:19 pm »

Private comms to Steve and the rest of the team: "Hey, why does this guy keep calling the boss 'great warrior'? Due to being in an avatar and whatever that implies? Or have you told them anything about it?

Speaking of which, what exactly did you tell those guys when you set up this meeting? Who did you say you are, who did you say we are and what did you say our intentions were?"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:34:03 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2014, 07:50:59 pm »

((If all else fails, you could handle welcomes and I handle the real negotiations.))

Lars smiled at the speaker, though he still did not make eye contact.  "This group is my family, and we are well, with safe travels.  I hope yours are in health as well.  I have been appointed by our leadership council to speak with you on behalf of our movement, if that is acceptable to you?"

((Assuming he consents: otherwise, remain silent))

"We have come to seek a partnership.  The UWM are not your friends, and hold back your search for knowledge.  We despise their stifling of human achievement and progress, and how they are stagnant and stuck in their ways.  Humanity is not thriving like it should under their rule.  We can get rid of them and rebuild humanity to be all it can be, but we would be better able to do this if we partner with you."

Speak more.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2014, 09:08:00 pm »

Private team comms, @Miyamoto: "I know it's not really my place to question this, but how much freedom are we willing to give those guys? Are we really going to let them do whatever they want with no restrictions, no supervision and no knowledge of what they are doing?"

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2014, 05:09:38 am »

Wait patiently. Assist Lyra in keeping balance, if needed.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2014, 06:37:47 am »

waiting in formation
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2014, 07:49:42 am »

Keep waiting.  Beatbox internally to kill time.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:24 pm »

Pay detailed attention, focus on ability to recall information later. Never know when it may be important.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2014, 10:33:52 am »

Private team comms, @Miyamoto: "I know it's not really my place to question this, but how much freedom are we willing to give those guys? Are we really going to let them do whatever they want with no restrictions, no supervision and no knowledge of what they are doing?"

private back:
"Steve basically said they can't really do that much damage without... Certain things. So I wouldn't worry too much, I do think we'll set up some sort of monitoring system should they wanna join us. Steve can straighten out the exact details later on, but if I'm not mistaken these people won't be just another small ally, but a major partner. But you can ask Steve if that doesn't comfort you."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:35:41 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »

private back:
"Steve basically said they can't really do that much damage without... Certain things. So I wouldn't worry too much, I do think we'll set up some sort of monitoring system should they wanna join us. Steve can straighten out the exact details later on, but if I'm not mistaken these people won't be just another small ally, but a major partner. But you can ask Steve if that doesn't comfort you."
Private team comms: "No, thank you, my concern was mostly about that. I don't want us to arrive on this planet ten years later only to find out that they managed to somehow destroy themselves or that they wasted our resources building some kind of giant ship to go after their god."
A few seconds later, he continued.
"Maybe we could patch them in our QEC-net so that they can communicate with Hephaestus. That would make knowing what they're working on easier. And it would allow them to coordinate with the guys there. You know, share knowledge, make sure they aren't both working on the same thing. Or that they coordinate on their work on the same thing."
A few more seconds passed.
"Maybe we could even present that as an incentive. A chance to work with and share the resources and expertise of a forge world and its scientists."

((Slightly irrelevant, but speaking of QEC-nets, one of the things I wanted to try on  Hephaestus was finding out more about the UWM's QEC-net backbones and organizing a mission there to see if we could infect them with a computer virus/soundworm hybrid.

The computer virus simply copies and propagates itself stealthily through all available networks (optionally it could also mess with their computer systems, but we'd probably want them to keep using their computers for as long as possible before they realise what's going on. Maybe if we're lucky the virus would make its way into military equipment) while the soundworm gets played by the virus at certain irregular intervals, thus escaping from the computer and hopefully attaching itself to one or more humans. It's all downhill from there, seeing as the soundworm tends to kill humans and search for ways to propagate itself further (the soundworm was labelled as a cure in datapads and tried to escape through the communications tower).

Only problem with it is that there's a chance it would hurt planets that we could ally with. And the high collateral damage and destruction it would leave in its wake, given that with luck it could destroy entire planets. And the fact that if reverse engineered, it could be used against us.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »

Private comms to Steve and the rest of the team: "Hey, why does this guy keep calling the boss 'great warrior'? Due to being in an avatar and whatever that implies? Or have you told them anything about it?

Speaking of which, what exactly did you tell those guys when you set up this meeting? Who did you say you are, who did you say we are and what did you say our intentions were?"

>As I said before, they tend not to use proper names and address themselves and others by their titles. Only the group leader would use his name, and Lars was the first to do so. So by their etiquette Lars has just proclaimed himself leader of the group. And the adviser is a bit taken aback by this because Miya is pretty clearly the leader judging by his gear and how he's been instructing people and how they're following his actions. Imagine if you had a line of soldiers and one of them was standing at the center with a bunch of medals and pins of rank, but then some random grunt leaped out of line and declared himself the head of the group.

The Adviser is just trying to figure out whats going on.

As per what they know, they know you're there about trying to form a partnership. What their opinion of our little rebellion is, I'm not sure. 

((If all else fails, you could handle welcomes and I handle the real negotiations.))

Lars smiled at the speaker, though he still did not make eye contact.  "This group is my family, and we are well, with safe travels.  I hope yours are in health as well.  I have been appointed by our leadership council to speak with you on behalf of our movement, if that is acceptable to you?"

((Assuming he consents: otherwise, remain silent))

"We have come to seek a partnership.  The UWM are not your friends, and hold back your search for knowledge.  We despise their stifling of human achievement and progress, and how they are stagnant and stuck in their ways.  Humanity is not thriving like it should under their rule.  We can get rid of them and rebuild humanity to be all it can be, but we would be better able to do this if we partner with you."

Speak more.

>Well now Lars called the group HIS family. Implying ownership and leadership. Lars is now the Leader, as far as the Adviser is concerned.

"Of course, of course." The man says, nodding with apparent understanding. "But such talk is hasty; I am an adviser only in your military capacities, I do not decide the actions of the king. I am here to judge the strength of your movement, nothing more. So, what may you tell me on that subject?"

Keep waiting.  Beatbox internally to kill time.
[Beatboxes internally]

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2014, 12:43:52 pm »

Wait. Stand firm. Remain silent.
>Well now Lars called the group HIS family. Implying ownership and leadership. Lars is now the Leader, as far as the Adviser is concerned.
((Looks like FUN. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45