Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40

Author Topic: Mission 16: Serial Experiments Skylar  (Read 77963 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 16: The Heat is on.
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2014, 02:50:51 am »

"A mission I heard about from some of the vets. Anyways, assuming we can get a powerful enough laser to cut through the vault, I can come up with a mobile rig that can fit in a van for it, so that's not a real issue. The main issue with my idea is we need to find an disable the alarms from the bank so we don't have the entire police force descend on our asses while we're doing it, so that's why I said this was plan B. I'm still kinda hoping for a plan A..."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2014, 05:53:16 am »

Ulrich Leland. Location: Apartment

"First problem is the night guards. I'm thinking of handling them like this: First we sneak from between the clothing and the book stores to the alley avoiding all cameras. Then we wait until one starts his standard route through the building and laser the remaining one in the security room. With cameyes and cameye-goggles getting proper aim should be easy. Then aiming again for another guard when he is in good position.
Though if we get two laser weapons then it would be ok to kill both of them at same time.

Next problem to handle is alarm. I got this nice piece of software that blocks all wireless communications within range, so if alarm is sent wirelessly it will solve that problem. If alarm is not sent wirelessly, then we have to locate and cut communication lines. I also would like to cut the power to entire building to disable further alerts. Breaking the fusebox should do that.

There is two ways to handle vault doors. Option one: violence. Explosives are out of questing, mining laser is good idea. Option two: hacking. Getting master code to the doors. I'm attempting to get those codes right now.

Once we are in the building we should get repository door open and drive our escape car in. It is right next to stairs and locals are most likely used night time activities around it. This provides us natural cover while we carry our loot in."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09:27 am »

"We can also take the place of a cleaning crew, though I can see two problems with that. One, we have to insure that the cleaning crew doesn't arrive after we get there without them raising an alarm of some sort, and two is the fact that if the same cleaning crew is regularly assigned to the bank there might be a bit of a suspicion from the gards when some unrecognized faces show up. However, it does give us a way to sneak in and take the guards unawares, and the van the janitors use looks like it might fit the rig I had in mind for our 'entry device'."
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2014, 10:20:49 am »

"Using the janitor trick is risky. For starters we have to ensure that we are only team of janitors that will arrives to bank during the day. Secondly they might have contract that restricts people who may enter the bank as janitors. Luckily we have two days worth of records so we can check if it same guys on every day. Thirdly, janitors arrive a bit too late for my taste, though it's not really a problem if we can plan this properly."

((Action edited.))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:23:13 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04:15 pm »

"Right, but it is still an option we can use. Never discount an option because it's risky. Anyways, so at this point we'd hopefully be in the bank and grabbing the stuff. What about our egress? Any ideas on what to do when we're hauling ass away from the bank?"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2014, 01:06:39 pm »

"There is four scenarios that immediately comes to mind.

Number one. Police surrounds the bank before we get out. In this scenario we need ass load of weapons to get out. I would like to prepare bombs in various locations just for this. Threaten to explode important places and people if they do not let us out and detonate few just to prove point. Armored car would be very helpful as well as a bodyarmor. If we get safely out it will turn into high speed chase which brings us to next scenario.

Number two. We escape but police are chasing us. Again we need weapons to get rid of them. Your bombs would be very useful in this scenario and basically anything that helps us to lose them. One strategy to use in this case is classic bait-and-switch where we have two identical escape cars, one waiting along our escape route behind a corner maybe. The moment when we get out of sight of the police our real car hides and the double takes our role. Very difficult to get it working, there's also question of who will be the bait. A hired hand?
Another option is throw part of our loot out. While the police wants to catch us they also have to get the loot back. We could even prepare fake bags loaded with explosives to throw out, this would thin their forces a little. Ultimately we need to lose them in any way possible. Once we have lost the police we enter into next scenario.

Number three. We escape before police arrives to the scene. We either speed out of the city as fast as possible without alerting anyone or we hide nearby. In this case our escape car should be light and easily hidden. We could even prepare number of cars along escape routes to switch with. Just so you know, we already have few routes planned.

Number four. Alarm is not activated and we did perfect job. In this case we can pretty much just go where ever we want when ever we want. We probably should switch a car at least once before going straigth to the plane.

Do other people have any additional ideas or insights? This is a team project after all and everybody should have something contribute."
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »

Kri, Cael and TCM appear to be MIA. Hm.

((I'm assuming by now everyone knows what the bank team saw in terms of security right? Well, action based off that))

Michael walks up to Ulrich. "Alright, back0check me on these ideas would you? Based on the footage you guys brought of the vault and lockbox rooms, if we are forced to brute force our way in then using any sort of explosive is right out, as them amount of boom we'll need would outright level the bank and maybe the entire block surrounding it. I had an idea about that though, involving something like those mining lasers from that sharkmist mission. Can you put together a plan b involving this in case we need to go that route?"

Michael checks with steve to see if A) anything like a mining laser is available through our mining front, and B) his estimate as to how much power would need to be pumped into a laser to cut through the vault door in a reasonable(say 15 minutes) time frame.(This assumes we at least delay any alarms for that long)
Assuming the thing isn't resistant to lasers, a cutting laser would have it open in less then a minute. Cutting lasers are damn powerful, remember, designed to cut apart asteroids and space stations.

But they're also very large and very obvious. We could get you one, but you'd need someone strong enough to carry it around and a plan to use it without being seen or stopped. We'd also have to build in a self destruct to get rid of the evidence if it comes to it.

((We didn't have any recorders with us besides Thaddeus's cameyes and I don't know if those record anything. But you can assume Ulrich shares all information he got.))

"Sharkmist mission? What's that? Anyway, I agree that explosives are out of picture when we go to underground so laser sounds like sensible option. They are much quieter as well. However, mining laser sounds rather heavy which might become a problem and it cannot be left behind as those could be backtracked easily on this planet. On positive side it could very effectively used to disable all chasers.
It is definitely an option to consider."

Check the records about the janitors. Are they same people every day? Who opens the door for them or does it open automatically?

About the court cases they have related to injuries or deaths caused by their products. Can I get more details? As in what kind situation caused injuries/deaths?

No matter how secure the systems are there's always way in as long as the system isn't completely separated. And it will not be if they have offices and factories in more than one physical location. The information must flow between places and that's where from I'll will strike. Assuming I can find it.
Surely they have contact information of their personel? At least their salesmen must have, technical support maybe? They are probably the weakest link. Try hack on their phones if they have smartphones, from there look for link to their computers, from there secured network links into their intranet. Then it's just matter of stealing admin account. If they do not have hackable phones, then try to locate any similar entrypoint into the system.
As for what I'm looking for is their contract information. Our target bank specifically, but get lot more in case my hacking is noticed. Another thing to look up is master password into those doors. I assume they must have a way to open their own doors just in case. Third thing is details of their custom solutions.

Spoiler: Stats & Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

They seem to be mostly the same group of people, though not the same ones every day. They go in 4 to 5 day shifts, working parts of the week on rotation.  They, judging by the video you took, are let in by the guards on duty.

There are three major ones you can find. The first involved the door falling on someone during installation. The second one involved someone getting trapped in the door when it automatically closed. The last one was the result of damage caused when the door jammed and partially tore itself off its hinges.

It exists, surely, but not on these servers. These servers, you find with a little digging, are owned by a private hosting corporation which the company has hired to create and maintain their site. The site itself is entirely separate from the corporation.  Even their technical support and customer service system is handled by a separate corporation, Arise Group. It's likely, if not a given that the banks have their own network and are communicating between each other, but finding that particular network is going to be hard to do, since they've gone out of their way to insulate themselves.

In other words, the info you're looking for isn't visible through any of their public sites. Depending on what you're looking for it's either gonna be on their between office network or on the private network in the individual building. The between office one is clearly gonna be open to the internet if you can get onto it, but the interoffice network might be it's own private server not connected to the internet. It might,however, be connected to one of the atm's out in front of the bank.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:24 am »

Michael asks Steve how one would be able to tell at a glance if a door is laser resistant, then goes ahead and orders a cutting laser, and assorted wheels and steel framing to make a mobile rig(preferrably small enough to fit into a van as well as though doors). He also orders magnesium casings for the laser as well as thermite and a napalm substitute to mix up some homemade namite so the thing will burn into a melted, unidentifiable slag when detonated.

"Speaking of situation one with egress, need help making the bombs? That's kinda my thing."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2014, 08:58:19 am »

"My handiwork skills are absolutely horrible, I can't build a shed without fear of it collapsing the second I turn away. I'll gladly leave bomb building task to you."

Atm? I'm not seeing how hacking atm helps me to get inside Stockman. Those atm's are probably covered with cameras, right?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:02:26 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2014, 05:24:21 pm »

Michael asks Steve how one would be able to tell at a glance if a door is laser resistant, then goes ahead and orders a cutting laser, and assorted wheels and steel framing to make a mobile rig(preferrably small enough to fit into a van as well as though doors). He also orders magnesium casings for the laser as well as thermite and a napalm substitute to mix up some homemade namite so the thing will burn into a melted, unidentifiable slag when detonated.

"Speaking of situation one with egress, need help making the bombs? That's kinda my thing."

If it's laser resistant, the bare metal will have sort of sparkly quality, like it's mixed with glitter or metal flakes. The website doesn't say anything about laser proofing though.

Consider the supplies ordered.

Oh and all the supplies you guys ordered yesterday have arrived.

"My handiwork skills are absolutely horrible, I can't build a shed without fear of it collapsing the second I turn away. I'll gladly leave bomb building task to you."

Atm? I'm not seeing how hacking atm helps me to get inside Stockman. Those atm's are probably covered with cameras, right?

The ATM would be connected to the bank's internal network.

Like I said, you're looking for things like employee records right? That stuff isn't on the publicly available site. That public site is maintained by a third party.  For that info you'll need to get into their private networks, but you have no real idea where those networks are on the net as a whole. The easiest way to get into them would be either finding the signal from the bank itself or by getting into the bank's computers directly. Assuming you don't want to break in, in order to know how to break in, then the ATM is the most available entry point.

Yeah, it has cameras.

Basically I'm just saying that you can't just sit in the apartment and hack into them without some greater details of how you're gonna find their specific server in the entire internet.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2014, 06:50:58 am »

What I'm looking for is public phone numbers of Stockman sales personel. Using those as entry points I try to look for new entry point (using Virtual Private Networks and such) to next system and so on.

Locate Stockman offices and other buildings in this city.

Good thing I got those universal connector cables. Dress up as a person of middle class. Try to disguise myself a bit more, changing hairstyle and maybe using whatever makeup D'usse has. Bank cameras have seen me too many times already. What time it is now? I can't go hacking atm's while bank is still open and people milling about.

I suppose Steve can hire people to do various not so legal things for us?

((Tryrar & Co. Plese check if my disguise is passable.))

Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

Look over Ulrich's disguise, go buy lunch/dinner, then help him with whatever he needs.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »

((My bad about disappearing once again. Not only I have to work on my thesis (and the professor who was supposed to help me decided to take some time off, meaning I'm completely on my own), but I also managed to go down with a nasty infection just a few days before the end of the year. I'm close to finishing the treatment, though. Go me.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2015, 02:27:58 pm »

((My bad about disappearing once again. Not only I have to work on my thesis (and the professor who was supposed to help me decided to take some time off, meaning I'm completely on my own), but I also managed to go down with a nasty infection just a few days before the end of the year. I'm close to finishing the treatment, though. Go me.))
s'alright cael. Good luck on the thesis. And the not being infected with horrible south american diseases anymore. Best of luck with both of those things. I'd offer help on one or the other but I'm pretty sure I know nothing useful on either of them.

What I'm looking for is public phone numbers of Stockman sales personel. Using those as entry points I try to look for new entry point (using Virtual Private Networks and such) to next system and so on.

Locate Stockman offices and other buildings in this city.

Good thing I got those universal connector cables. Dress up as a person of middle class. Try to disguise myself a bit more, changing hairstyle and maybe using whatever makeup D'usse has. Bank cameras have seen me too many times already. What time it is now? I can't go hacking atm's while bank is still open and people milling about.

I suppose Steve can hire people to do various not so legal things for us?

((Tryrar & Co. Plese check if my disguise is passable.))

Would that work? I know nothing about hacking but if thats a thing then thats good.

There's only one Stockman office in this city, which is both a storefront and their general offices for the area. There are, however, a handful of security and home improvement shops which carry their products.

Disguise is a go, but it's only late afternoon, so probably not the best idea to go hack an ATM right now.

And yeah, he could. Though, it would be a dice roll to see if they succeed.
Look over Ulrich's disguise, go buy lunch/dinner, then help him with whatever he needs.
"With whatever he needs"

He pulls off the dress quite well. Looks surprisingly good in that shade of eyeshadow too.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2015, 09:04:18 am »

While waiting for suitable time for hacking ATMs there is another thing I would like to try. The bank offers a way for customers to check balance of their account on internet, right?
If yes then there exists a connection between internet and bank's internal systems and I can execute the plan below.
If not... then wonder if it would be sane idea to walk Mr. Smith building and ask directly if they will become a problem in next three weeks. Play with other possible more sane ideas as well.

Spoiler: "Plan" (click to show/hide)

Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40