Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Mission 16: Serial Experiments Skylar  (Read 78043 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 16: The Heat is on.
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »

Hmm, let's try most reputable local one. Second criteria would be based on relative repution and size. For example, if the bank's reputation is 9 on scale 1 to 10 (when compared to other banks), then look for company that have same relative reputation on their own field. Let's gather more hints before continuing on that track.

Focus on the police instead. How far away from the bank are police stations, and how long it would take for them to reach the bank during noon and night?
What kind weapons, tools and protective gear they seem to be using?

((The unexpected thing did happen IRL, so my posts will be short for next few days. Kri, please take care of wiki 8)))
The closest police station you can find is 3 and a half miles away, however there's no telling where a police car might be at any time. This makes guessing response time very hard. Assuming the car comes from that station though...probably 5 or so minutes from being alerted. Maybe a bit longer.

Depends on the forces they send after you. Normal policemen will probably have handguns, maybe a rifle or shotgun in the trunk. If they send the SWAT equivalent after you, they're gonna have some bigger toys.

Keep watching the bank with the different cam-eye modes
You watch the bank for the rest of the day and into the evening. It closes at around 6:00, local time. Nothing especially interesting happens; the customer numbers die down, with one final rush near the end and then nothing. Everyone goes home. Well, not everyone. You can see people working on the second floor well until 8:00, and after that there's two night watchmen patrolling the building.

"So, what else are we trying to figure out?"

Skylar barely glances up as he continues to make notes on the blueprints.

Well, tomorrow I'd like to figure out their procedures for the Safety Deposit boxes. What's allowed, what isn't, how searched are they, how do items get to the box, do box owners end up in the storage room... that sort of thing. If we can get them to let us into the Safety Deposit room, we can make plans based on starting inside the building. If we can get items into the Deposit room somewhat unrestricted, we could use them to get equipment into that room that we might not want to bring with us, or something to sabotage the bank's security systems before we get there.

We also need to know more about their day-shift security. Shift changes, active alarms, times the vault will be open, the works. We could also use some plans for insider access. Contract work, janitorial staff, whatever. Insider access could make this quick and clean. We need the same for the night shift, but we still have the night ahead of us to watch.

And... we have to find out more about that shielded building. Don't be too obvious. Until we know more, we don't want whoever is in there to know we've seen them. It could be criminal, or it could be UWM. One of these we can work with. The other we need to avoid like the plague... If we can't find anything without revealing ourselves, we may just have to continue with the heist and hope.

More Blueprint examination:
Is the source of the independent power indicated?
Are network cables indicated on the blueprint? If so, how many isolated networks are there, and how close to the outside wall do any of them have cables?

Do we have specs on the security systems? Vault door, Safety Deposit box doors and containers, cameras, etc?

((The unexpected thing did happen IRL, so my posts will be short for next few days. Kri, please take care of wiki 8)))
(( I'll try. My school is in session and I have to run around getting things setup for the quarter, sooooo  :-\ ))

The electrical power seems to feed in from an underground line. The diagram just shows the line leading back off the page so you're unsure where it comes from. Seems to be on the street side though, maybe under the street.
Network cables aren't on the electrical blueprint. Heck, they're probably nowhere on any blueprint, except maybe in their tech guy's skull.
We don't have anything yet, but if you find out the make and model we could get info. You could probably find that out by sending someone to look at them; most of them probably have at least the maker's name on them.

Hmm, that's probably all I'll be able to do just from here. I need an excuse to get inside.

Check to see if the bank's corporate headquarters is on a public network, and cautiously probe the security of that network if so, taking steps to foil any backtrace if something goes wrong.
You find their website but it seems to be isolated on it's own server and connected to nothing of any interest. More then likely any internal servers they have are completely separate from the internet. Only way to make sure they're safe, after all.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »

(Worth a shot :P)

Blast, no way to manufacture an opening at the bank the easy way. We might have to resort to the messy way...

Join the party observing th bank, being on the lookout for any janitors, or even better, any janitorial service company entering the bank. Also try to use the internet to find what company the bank uses for general repair services.

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:22 pm »

Keep watching with the cam-eyes. Be sure to scan the streets around the bank too.

"Hey, we got any energy drinks? Or something with caffeine in it? If I'm going to be doing this all night I'm gonna need something to help me stay up."
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:03 am »

Search for naturally explosive sites in the city; fuel tanks, factories handling explosive stuff and so on. Filter out places that seem too dificult to blow up:
  • Explosive stuff being too spread out to cause secondary explosions
  • Is close to police stations
  • Busy traffic around all time
  • Apparent security (intuition, if there isn't any information available)
  • Is close to planned escape routes
Basically anything to serve as explosive distraction. Obtain second opinion from Michael.

Ask Steve if he is able to do anything to distract police.

"Hey Michael, take a look at this."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2014, 05:14:13 am »

"Hey, we got any energy drinks? Or something with caffeine in it? If I'm going to be doing this all night I'm gonna need something to help me stay up."

Let me check. I'll go grab some for you if we don't, I need to walk around a bit and think anyway.

Supply run! Retrieve late night snacks for our scouts, either from the kitchen or a nearby store.

Think about what the backup power could be, and if the blueprints suggest what might happen if power to the safety deposit room or vault room were to shut off.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2014, 09:19:01 am »

Could we get an historic on: a) most successful robberies in the world's history and how they were conducted and b) failures and weaknesses of bank's systems, even if accidentally revealed, such as when an OS' backdoor is made public.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

(Worth a shot :P)

Blast, no way to manufacture an opening at the bank the easy way. We might have to resort to the messy way...

Join the party observing th bank, being on the lookout for any janitors, or even better, any janitorial service company entering the bank. Also try to use the internet to find what company the bank uses for general repair services.

No janitorial staff seems to come in during the evening. Maybe they clean in the early morning?

Yeah, can't find that either. Who would have thought the bank kept their contracted labor secret?

Keep watching with the cam-eyes. Be sure to scan the streets around the bank too.

The night guard seems to patrol in a set pattern. You can't see them all the time, the building is too dense, but you can see them when they come around the front of the structure, so they probably have timed routes, doing rounds every hour or so and spending the rest of the time in some security room.

The streets outside are pretty empty, save for the odd vagrant or single car wandering down the road. This part of town seems pretty quiet at night. Nothing is open so there's no reason for anyone to come here, you suppose.

Search for naturally explosive sites in the city; fuel tanks, factories handling explosive stuff and so on. Filter out places that seem too dificult to blow up:
  • Explosive stuff being too spread out to cause secondary explosions
  • Is close to police stations
  • Busy traffic around all time
  • Apparent security (intuition, if there isn't any information available)
  • Is close to planned escape routes
Basically anything to serve as explosive distraction. Obtain second opinion from Michael.

Ask Steve if he is able to do anything to distract police.

"Hey Michael, take a look at this."
About the best you can find is a gas station. There's not a lot of factories or giant tanks of fuel just sitting around in this part of the city. Thats more on the outskirts or the industrial park. But a gas station does have a fuel reserve under it. It would be possible to blow it up. Create a great big fireball but limited damage actually.

>Like what? I don't want to do too much. It would be a bit suspitious if they were suddenly and untraceably hacked. I could suggest some things for YOU to do if you want to distract them. 

Let me check. I'll go grab some for you if we don't, I need to walk around a bit and think anyway.

Supply run! Retrieve late night snacks for our scouts, either from the kitchen or a nearby store.

Think about what the backup power could be, and if the blueprints suggest what might happen if power to the safety deposit room or vault room were to shut off.

You gather powdered donuts and coffee from a nearby 24 hour convenience store. Eating like cops on a stake out, planning to rob a bank. There's some wonderful irony in that. You carry them back to the lookout crew and then sit down on a couch to think.

The backup power is probably a generator of some kind, though none are shown on the blueprints. There's nothing on the blueprints but you would assume that, if the power were completely shut off, the vault and Boxes would all go into lock down. 

Could we get an historic on: a) most successful robberies in the world's history and how they were conducted and b) failures and weaknesses of bank's systems, even if accidentally revealed, such as when an OS' backdoor is made public.
You're casting a pretty wide net there, councilman. Is this a fishing expedition to try and make me expose some sort of fatal weakness in the bank's systems? Because you're get nothing out of me! I want a lawyer!

The most successful robberies are unfortunately the ones they have little info on. Ones that went off so well they still don't know exactly how they did it. Put bluntly, if you do it in secret, in a stealthy manner, you have a much better chance then if you try to do it the "Traditional" way with rubber masks and high powered weapons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »

Ulrich Leland. Location: Apartment

Lazy bastard...

"Who said anything about hacking? Well, if you have ideas fire away. Oh, and do you happen to have anything for jamming wireless signals? Just in case if it turns out the security systems send alarm wirelessly."

Request ideas. Don't fire me.
For jamming I'm pretty much asking for this. The Armory Master should still have a copy.
Go sleep and wake up early (3-4 am?) and join bank watching.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats & Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:55:50 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 02:49:54 pm »

((The problem with trying to get a position in the bank is unless we have access to their employment database, there is no guarantee our man will be hired. Which makes my idea a wash, actually.I DO, however, have a different idea))

Michael inquires to Steve if he has any devices that give off a short EMP to scramble and damage electronics. The idea being to scramble their computers, then observe what company comes to fix them.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2014, 07:40:17 pm »

D'usse wakes up from her nap in the middle of the night. "....oh, are we still-?"

Take a selection of donuts and coffee. Rejuvenate self.
See if the Internet provides some sort of real-time Google Earth type program, whether for free or for cost.
Look up pictures and videos of cop cars, SWAT vans, and any other transportation commonly used by law enforcement.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:45 am »

Get coffee and donuts. Keep watching with cam-eyes.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2014, 05:11:50 am »

Sleep time. Dream about bank robbing and what equipment I need to mask a remote network hack.

(( Because this is a good use of a post :P ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2014, 11:31:38 am »

Lazy bastard...

"Who said anything about hacking? Well, if you have ideas fire away. Oh, and do you happen to have anything for jamming wireless signals? Just in case if it turns out the security systems send alarm wirelessly."

Request ideas. Don't fire me.
For jamming I'm pretty much asking for this. The Armory Master should still have a copy.
Go sleep and wake up early (3-4 am?) and join bank watching.

>Well, the best distraction would be something that would draw large numbers of police far from your target. I'd need to be something extremely public, and something they would need to send lots of police to, rather then just emergency personnel. That fire of yours would draw some police, sure, but more firemen. You want something like a mass shooting, or a hostage stand off, or an assassination attempt on some high power official, or a bomb threat. It has to be something obviously criminal, and something they can actually do something about. Or at least think they can.

Yeah, we'll assume the brute force null program could work. Though it's gonna affect everything in range and be pretty obvious.

You go to bed, setting the alarm clock for far too early.

((The problem with trying to get a position in the bank is unless we have access to their employment database, there is no guarantee our man will be hired. Which makes my idea a wash, actually.I DO, however, have a different idea))

Michael inquires to Steve if he has any devices that give off a short EMP to scramble and damage electronics. The idea being to scramble their computers, then observe what company comes to fix them.
Something could be made, but it's gonna either be an explosive device or, if you don't want a boom, it's gonna be big. Back of a moving truck big.

D'usse wakes up from her nap in the middle of the night. "....oh, are we still-?"

Take a selection of donuts and coffee. Rejuvenate self.
See if the Internet provides some sort of real-time Google Earth type program, whether for free or for cost.
Look up pictures and videos of cop cars, SWAT vans, and any other transportation commonly used by law enforcement.

Donuts and coffee acquired. Rejuvenated? No. Running on a buzz of caffeine and sugar? BOY ARE YOU EVER! You're shaking so hard they could sell you as a "Marital aid".

There is a google earth analog, yes.

The cop cars are Red and Yellow, with flashing Red lights. Rather garish, but visible, you suppose. The swat equivalent Uses similarly colored vans or trucks, while prisoner transport uses white trucks.

Get coffee and donuts. Keep watching with cam-eyes.
You work through till the wee hours of the morning. The guards keep patrolling, same routes, same routine.

It's about 3am.

Sleep time. Dream about bank robbing and what equipment I need to mask a remote network hack.

(( Because this is a good use of a post :P ))
You dream that you'd need...ferret in a balaclava and...oh thats nice....

Your dreams appear not to be the best place to get technical advice. 

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2014, 12:53:02 pm »

After ignoring alarm clock for two hours Ulrich gets up.

Join bank watching and do some research.
Identify suitable targets for bomb threats. And one or two for actual bombing but with minimal victims.
Does this city have telecommunication towers? If yes, could that null program be used to disable these towers and effectively all communications in the city? What is range of the program? And wouldn't it be a little less obvious if it is used near all banks and other valuable targets in the city?

Old sigs.
Games.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2014, 10:02:09 am »

((Not really.))

Sleep for the night, wake up early but not overly so. Breakfast.

Back to work: check how well-defended the bank's cash transport armored trucks are, what is their route around the city and how well-armored are policemen and SWAT members. Does any of them have enough body armor as to make very difficult hitting them with tranq darts?

"Sky, anything more concrete on your mind yet?" Milno asks.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40