Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking on a flat zone  (Read 567 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking on a flat zone
« on: September 23, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »

I usually play with some high point so I can carve into the hills or mountain and then go down from there. 

However, today's map the embark spot is dead flat with nary a hill in sight.  So how best to enter the ground? 

What I'm thinking is Ramps down to a below ground depot area (ramps for the wagons)
- If so do you channel the first level (I don't see down ramp in the dig options).

No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Ostar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on a flat zone
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »

Channels go down, yes, and serve as ramps.
Three wide if you want your Trade Depot inside.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »

When you channel into solid ground it forms a ramp.

I'm working with a mostly flat embark right now myself.  I'm planning a set of stone walls around the entrance stairs with some round towers, only able to be entered from underground, and with fortifications on top.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »

OK, I've hit a snag and not sure why...

I've done a cross channel
 x
xxx
 x

And made a path around to the next channelling, they are all the cross pattern (which may be the problem).  I'm down about 10 levels to where I will set a depot (temp at least) and when it was completed it said the depot was unaccessible.  The cross IS 3-wide so I'm guessing it's the 1x1 top and bottom part causing the problem with access?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:00 pm »

That's what it was.  I redug an entrace 2x3 and it worked.