Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we update to a new DF version?

Never!
- 1 (9.1%)
Update to DF 0.40.15 when Dwarf Therapist is available.
- 8 (72.7%)
Never mind DF 0.40.15, but maybe update later.
- 2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Shadow empires  (Read 19227 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow empires
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2014, 02:28:58 pm »

Cool. Sorry to have wasted so much time for my turn. Been way too busy, have the next guy in line go and I'll go after them/when I have time.

No problem. Timeless Bob has a little time to kill, apparently.

Timeless Bob? You're up. :)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9998

Same save file as before, unless you want me to update it to DF 0.40.15. (I don't recommend that, as the latest Dwarf Therapist and dfhack versions aren't out yet)
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2014, 07:29:43 am »

[EDIT] Update!

Timeless Bob is with us, and at my suggestion, he has decided to wait for 40.17 as the emotion system should be better balanced then. I think it will be out pretty soon anyway.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:42:53 pm by ptb_ptb »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »

Fills ME with emotion, this does.
I'm excited to see what will become of our competition...
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2014, 06:34:11 am »

Minor update: I have changed the save file version to DF 0.40.17 and am currently testing the save to see if everything works OK. Expect an download link for Timeless Bob later today.

[EDIT] I ran my fortress for a bit under half a game year with no new bugs found. I'll do a little more testing, then declare it good to go.

[EDITx2] Uh-oh. It seems like there is a nasty new bug that stops you from smelting ore. That's pretty much a game stopper if you want to create decent equipment for your adventurer dwarf. :(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:15:01 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2014, 05:54:54 am »

So, ... DF 0.40.18 happened. :P

Here's the save file:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10106

Installation instructions:

1. Install a clean copy of DF 0.40.18
2. Install Phoebus' Graphics Set
3. Extract this file in the save games directory.

Alternate save link: Windows version that Includes DF 0.40.18 with all mods pre-installed
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10107
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:40:45 am by ptb_ptb »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2014, 03:11:28 am »

OK, since it's my turn still, I'll quickly upload the 40.18 game file and set up my fortress using 1.5 years as before.  With The original clan-home somehow fallen (I suspect it was the lizard-things) I'll be starting a new clan home adjacent to it. (That is, if I can't just lead an expedition to reclaim the original instead.)

Long live Clan MacDuff!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:20:12 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2014, 09:47:22 pm »

Seven MacDuffs from The Mighty Clan of Beers, hale and hearty, have decided to take back the clan-home from the goblins which caused it such ruin.  With them comes six war dogs, (four bitches to whelp puppies and two males to ensure a strong bloodline.)  Those dogs will become the first line of defense from the next set of invaders to come along, be they lizard-things, goblins or otherwise!  Finally we arrive at our destination...

Journal of Miss MacDuff Bronzecovers, Expedition Leader:
            28th of Timber, Year 166
Ach!  Such a mess we've found here, with corpses rotting in the open fields and everythng scattered hither and yon!  The entire place has been o'er turned.  What's worse is that we were greeted by a survivor of the invasion, our very own cousin Mr MacDuff Mormeng, but he did nae recognise us, such was his grief.  He shouted at us from the hill-top to leave them be, as if we were strangers come a-calling rather than his own blood come to retake the clan-home for the glory of the MacDuffs!  Miss Laborworks MacDuff also knew us not, but still she survived - while the goblins planted their flag here, it seems they only slew a few, for the rest of these seem to have surrendered, which is a mystery to be sure!

Mr Ilral was also alive, and he came smiling to our wagon toting his crossbow - he told us that the Clan had wisely retreated before the greater force of the goblin onslaught and had but recently come back themselves to put the place to rights.  With that worry out of the way, we all had a bit of a laugh then began to clean the place up and put things to rights.

6th of Moonstone, Year 166
   Imagine my horror when a two of our number revealed themselves to be lizard-things!  Miss Laborworks MacDuff and Miss Archobeyed MacDuff transformed into the horrors and came slavering out of hiding in full bloodlust!  The dwarves who had remained behind jumped quickly into action, locking the hatch that kept one lizard creature trapped atop the hill and attacking the other where she raged in the hallway to the living quarters.  It slew two of them before the night of madness was through. The lizard-thing curse lifted from the miserable cook and she took one look at the carnage she'd caused before running into one of the bedrooms and locking the door.  "Don't let me out!" she cried, "I'll be fine in here, and so will all who remain!"

Tim the Enchanter seemed to be embarrassed that we'd witnessed this unfortunate scene.  "We had them both comfortably locked away for their own safety and ours", he explained with sorrow behind his eyes and a catch in his throat, "but those damnable goblins came and we had to flee.  No doubt the curse allowed them to free themselves while were unable to mind them, so now they are kinslayers once again.  The MacDuffs take care of their own!  We shall not run from the invaders again!"

4th of Opal. Year 166
   Today we learned that there are three cursed to be lizard-things.  One remains contentedly locked in one of the bedrooms, but the other decided to brawl with the livestock on top of the hill, slaying many of them.  The third we heard growling in the north woods.  I blew my whistle summoning everyone to the wagon but only five others besides myself came - I fear that one of our number may already have been taken by one of the lizard-cursed.  Tim advised us to camp here by the wagon for the few days it takes for the curse to run itself out, surrounded by our war dogs and relying on each-other for protection.  We are only to come at the call of our cousins, but stay out of the way otherwise.  "It is our curse and we shall either vanquish it or not, but I'll not be responsible for spreading it further to other family members!"

6th of Opal, Year 166
   Miss Laborworks MacDuff, "the Rough Frigidity of Loot" was kicked to death by a horse she slew in turn, and which we shall name "Cresentsheild" in honor of it's sacrifice.  That just leaves Mrs Ilral and Miss Archobeyed MacDuff "The Confident Sandals" suffering from the curse.  The butcher's bill however, included Miss MacDuff Mansionmatched along with some pet geese and peacocks, two alpacas and a couple sows on top of the hill and Mr Searchaxe MacDuff who was slain out in the Northern woods during Mrs Ilral's frenzy.

2nd of Obsidian. Year 166
   The curse manifested itself today once again.  I've instructed my five to arm themselves blades, crossbows and bolts or any other weapon - these horrors will not take one more of us today!  I command the five remaining members of the Expedition to meet me in the main hall where the other MacDuffs gather, but Mr Crystalcheerful MacDuff decided he'd had quite enough from the lizard-cursed Mrs Ilral and headed into the northern forest on his own to hunt her there.  The fool.

3rd of Obsidian, Year 166
   As I'd feared, we heard screaming in the Northern wood cut suddenly off.  Mr Crystalcheerful found her, I'll warrant, and she most probably gave him greivous injury.  Now we are five.  I've decided to put my remaining members into a harsh training regimin - next time, perhaps we will be the ones standing, rather than the cursed ones.

There have been some deep grumblings from far beneath the ground, I wonder what they could be?

28th of Obsidian, Year 166
   The curse once more has revealed its scaled evil today.  I am untroubled, however, for though all of these deaths horrify me to my core, I'm getting used to such tragedy, much like these other MacDuffs.  We train grimly, knowing that our own cousins are forced to hunt us, and that one day we may be forced to hunt them in turn. No dwarf died today, a fact for which I am thankful.

2nd of Granite, Year 167
   The first day of spring came and went, but we were not gladdened - the cursed screams echoed from within the locked bedroom and from the North Wood. They howled and hissed and crashed about all day until finally ceasing their noises by this afternoon.  Still, no-one died, so that's a plus.

25th of Slate, Year 167
   Today, Roughnessscrews MacDuff, (the widow of Mr Sinewsacks MacDuff), gave birth to a bouncing baby boy.  She named him 'Glowdoors' and we all gathered around to congratulate her and welcome him into the clan.  We may be fewer than many, due to the lizard-thing curse, but we're survivors.  Happy birthday, little one!
The cursed one roars once again in the North Forest.  Fortunately for us, it seems content to make its lair there.  Be careful, little one...

28th of Hematite, Year 167
   Although no caravan has showed up the entire year, we've finally been visited by a group of MacDuffs from back east who have journeyed here to see if we've defeated the goblins yet.  If we hadn't, they would've taken up the struggle themselves, but we gave them a warmer welcome than the one we had and had food n wine waiting for each one.  Now our population has risen to twenty-one MacDuffs, Mr Ilral and the young orphan, Miss Kosoth.

13th of Limestone, Year 167
   Again the cursed Mrs Ilral calls out from her haunts in the North Woods and again the dwarves finger their weapons and wait.  Perhaps the answering calls from our imprisoned Lizard-cursed keeps her away?  Regardless, life continues at the clan-home, limping along as it has since we began.

14th of Limestone, Year 167
   I spoke too soon, for the drums of the goblins have sounded to the southeast and when we fearfully beheld their forces, it was a caravan of dwarves guarded by dwarves that appeared atop the hill!  Two wagons filled with goods and only a single goblin among them: Mr Urdim Clearhelm, the Outpost Liason.  Wielding his whip of office, he herded the cowed dwarves into the trading area then left the "guard' dwarves to see that they didn't stray before wandering off to find Tim the Enchanter with whom he knew the goblins had an "arrangement".  Needless to say, we didn't take very kindly to his assumptions and awaited out chance to nab him without his traitorous companions knowing what was happening. 

'Evil flourishes when good dwarves stand by and do nothing', as my ma would have said if I hadn't been orphaned myself at a young age.

19th of Limestone, Year 167
   Finally, our chance came around midnight last night, and we took it! The goblin was visiting our still, getting himself a sip of our dwarven brew when Mrs MacDuff Polishwhipped, (Our Chief Medic), and I sprang from hiding and slipped a spear-point between it's shoulders.  It opened its mouth to scream in outrage, but Polishwhipped silenced it quickly with her pick to its skull.  I think a slab commemorating her kill should be carved in her honor - maybe we'll place it on the path the caravan took as a warning to any goblins that should happen to come along.  Beware, greenskin, for MacDuff weapons seek your end!

28th of Sandstone, Year 167
   We were able to trade some green glass windows for some cheese, bronze chain leggings and a few bags of fruit.  Today the beastial screams and bellows from within the Locked Room and from the North Wood signalled the end of the caravan's visit, minus, of course, one goblin overlord whom we seem to have replaced... (we buried him in the rotting bodies of the animals the lizard-creature slew). Carrion is almost too good for a goblin, but soon enough the invaders will know our "crimes".

2nd of Timber, Year 167
   Six more relations of the MacDuff clan made it to our home here, trooping right through the North Wood without any nasty surprises.  Lucky, that.  We welcomed the five dwarves one dwarfette as befits family and found them lodging in some rooms we've been excavating over the past few months.

4th of Obsidian, Year 167
   The howls and screams from the North Wood have become commonplace.  No one ventures near Mrs Ilral's hermitage in the North Wood and life goes on as normal.  We've engraved the doorposts of the place where our anchorite now lives, she who claws and hisses at the walls has become quite serene practicing her meditation in her one-bed cell.  Sometimes we converse through the doorway, she and I.  I think she has resigned herself to forever seeing only those four walls.  She tells me she has designed intricate pictures on them - images that give her comfort when she's not in the frenzied grip of the curse.  She won't say what the pictures are, however, and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see them for myself - no, the danger is too great.  They'll just have to remain a mystery.

1st of Granite, Year 168
   The first day of Spring was greeted with the howls and screams from the North Wood and from within the cell of Anchorite Archobeyed, but we have become innured to such noises, knowing that so long as we don't venture near them or offer some tempting target, that they will not go out of their way to molest us.  So, the today we celebrate surviving another winter. 

Long Live Clan MacDuff!

19th of Granite, Year 168
   Today I ordered the back gate closed and locked, for I'd had a dream that the goblins were sending another force to take Bom Sog once more.  In my dream, a hero shining all in bronze stood fast against them, becoming a champion of the dwarves against the greenskin adversary, and that he would be visiting soon, but only if the back gate was closed and locked.  My dreams then shifted to the months before we first arrived almost a year and a half ago: Goblins taunted dwarves from outside, offering them peace only if they swore allegiance to the Demon King.  Eventually, despair overcame those dwarves, knowing as they did that a flimsy back door was all that stood between them and certain destruction...  then I awoke filled with certainty.  That despair would never come again to my clan here in the Home of Conquerors.  So the door is shut and the portcullis locked.  We'll see what the next week holds...

25th of Granite, Year 168
A few more of Clan MacDuff arrived today, followed by a married couple from the Zan Family.  These are distant cousins indeed, for I've never met nor heard of any of them, even in passing.  We are prepared to raise the portcullis and unlock the gate to welcome them in even as I record this.  However, the gate must be shut and the portcullis locked by the 28th or I fear we will be taunted to despair by the goblins once again.

28th of Granite, Year 168
   They've not arrived to our doors yet, so I must put off unsealing the back gate until such time as the goblins attempt another invasion or 'the champion clad all in bronze' arrives.  The forest is filled with plenty of foodstuffs and the well offers water for those who are thirsty, so I'm sure they'll be fine camping outside our gates for a spell - at least until this prophetic dream reveals itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62eyd0cldpv63mx/Granite-28th-Year168.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:40:16 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:44 pm »

Very entertaining story, Bob. Long live the MacDuffs! Guess it's time to get my game face on and prepare myself. It's been a bit since I've played but I should manage.
The faith of the Council shall be tested indeed...
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2014, 10:29:05 pm »

This looks awesome and i want to join, but my computer is slowly dying and the last time i did one of these i was plagued with bugs... so if it's possible, i want to do a soft join... i'll play my turn and try to stay updated with the game, but my computer may not allow me to participate so if u don't want to worry about that, u don't have to add me.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2014, 01:14:14 am »

There we go, done with my turn.  The save file is at the end of the story.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:42:08 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2014, 07:45:25 am »

This looks awesome and i want to join, but my computer is slowly dying and the last time i did one of these i was plagued with bugs...
Welcome aboard. And don't worry too much about that - we're pretty flexible here about turns and stuff. You need to name your clan and select a civilization.

There we go, done with my turn.  The save file is at the end of the story.
Nice story, heavy on the melodrama. I'm glad to see the Clan MacDuff regain their land, albeit not without losses.  I'll give a quick test to the save game to be sure everything is in order and then it will be PsychoAngel's turn to raise the flag of The Council of Purification of The Torches of Land civilization (not less than 5 map squares from the forts of Timeless Bob and ptb_ptb - See map for the location of The Home of Conquerers and Guildpaddled)

Pisskop - Are you OK to go after PsychoAngel? Theoretically in a week's time (give or take).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:17:05 am by ptb_ptb »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:28 am »

I'm excited to get this started. Downloading the world now.
ALRIGHT MEN, LET'S MOVE OUT!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2014, 09:16:09 am »

I'm excited to get this started. Downloading the world now.
ALRIGHT MEN, LET'S MOVE OUT!

Let us know what your fortress is called and post a piccy of its location on the world map so I can add the details to the civilization maps page. You need to survive 1 and a half game years to qualify for the adventurer round.

Also

Installation instructions:

1. Install a clean copy of DF 0.40.18
2. Install Phoebus' Graphics Set
3. Extract save file in save games directory.

Also also

Timeless Bob didn't retire his fortress, so you will need to do that first of all.

History section has now been updated - see second post of this thread.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:39:05 am by ptb_ptb »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2014, 10:01:53 am »

Okay, downloaded save and game. Retired fortress, and am now beginning my turn. Let the one and a half years of glory(?) begin! Starting from the 14th of Slate to the 14th of Limestone the next year!
We have decided to settle here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Let the fun begin!" (click to show/hide)

So apparently "purification" isn't in the vocab of DF, so I'll have to go with "purifying" instead. Our first exiles Grand Leaders decided to name the place "Moistenedchannel." Onward, brothers! To glory! I'll keep the reports a little cryptic and uninformative, but still allow you guys to know what I'm up to. I might not have a ton of time today.

EDIT: Had to change embark location. Reason: Unable to obtain stone. Next time I'll settle somewhere where there's either: A. No aquifer. B. not so deep soil. It's also kind of a ways away and I apologize. Sorry for the late notice, internet went down shortly after I decided to change location.

EDIT 2: Might have to get back onto this later today. Stuff's going on.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:59:27 am by PsychoAngel »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »

EDIT: Had to change embark location. Reason: Unable to obtain stone.

I don't want to come over all ... you know who, but I think I need to put my foot down here.

Please do not use the backup saves if you do something stupid in game.

The same, IMO, applies to re-choosing your embark location. In order to qualify for the adventure round all you have to do have at least one dwarf survive the full year and a half's time. If you don't got stone, you don't got stone. Feel free to ask for advice on aquifer breaching and/or running a fort with no stone, though.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11