Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 71564 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen!
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2014, 04:39:16 pm »

I personally came to an external source of inspiration, and the Crawl skill title list helps with the various infantry names (whose descriptions are simple copy/paste, when they're a mere weapon variant of one another)...

By the way, what d oyou mean, by expansion ?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »

I uhh.. I cheated, I guess. All of my 5 infantry have about 75% of the same description. My two types of knights have identical descriptions (but maybe different names?). Basically I used the vanilla game as my base. I made categories, wrote descriptions for the categories, then added a line or two that was specific to the unit type if it deserved it.

And expansion is just people talking about their ability to conquer in the early game.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2014, 05:58:53 pm »

I have, maybe 3 different name/description pairs spread out among my 7ish different basic infantry, yeah. I also didn't bother giving unique descriptions to the more generic commanders.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2014, 07:49:36 pm »

I was blindsided and rendered unable to do anything today. I am sorry. I will endeavor not to be stunned the coming day.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2014, 08:43:07 pm »

Hehe, it sounds like I took the opposite tack of most of y'all. I drowned poor Delta in walls of text. I mean, yeah, I recognized categories and did some duplication - I wanna say there were three descriptions that got spread across seven of my units - but I still spewed gobs of verbiage. To wit, if some depraved soul is curious.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:32 am »

Eh, it looks like I didn't proof read my unit descriptions.
I currently have something with "shangrilan Hammerers wield battleaxes" and other errors like that -_-
Well, at least I'll have some time to correct that, if you guys haven't send yours for now :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:33 am »

Heh, I found I'd used quotation marks in the middle of one of my heroes' descriptions, so it just stopped mid-sentence...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »

I actually have been working on my nation's description, but writer's block is making it hard to finish. Nevertheless, I've managed to make up some history and tie the nation together thematically, so I should be done later today. Hopefully.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:44 pm »

I'm halfway through writing the descriptions myself. I am not in a very creative mood, either, so it'll be pretty bare-bones.

EDIT: And it's done.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:41:14 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2014, 05:10:07 am »

lijacote's absent for the weekend. I expect him to get back to us on the sunday-monday axis. If you rushed some descriptions you can take these two days to hone and expand some if you like.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! Awaiting pretenders
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »

I added all the files sent to me and quickly checked that they worked. I also spent a while making them work. More about that later.
The game page for llamaserver is here:
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Bay12GamesRound410

A dropbox link for the zipped file I made of our .dm & images is here (do you guys actually need it?):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eai2kzkt3zzjlux/nationgen_rune-covered_circle.7z?dl=0

As for the issues I had while making this happen. Next time any of us organizes something like this, it would be worth it to mention that everyone makes sure to generate a mod with only the nations in use, and make sure the mod is named appropriately. I got a lot of errors (game crashingly so) due to some portions of the .dm referring to nationgentest//flags etc.. instead of nationgen_rune-covered_circle//flags and such. There was also the issue of our nations being numbered from 100 to 108, while a few .dm bits had references in the high hundreds (so you were modifying the .dm with a hundred nations). Both of those issues broke some links here and there in the mod, but thankfully it was pretty easy to just find and copy-paste over the offending bits. I'm new with this myself so I had no idea what to expect, but all seemed to check out just fine when I did a final test run before uploading the .dm and creating the game at llama.

Now all we need is nine submitted pretenders and the game is on 8)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »

Welp, I forgot to submit my modified descriptions, didn't I... Welp. And I have only 5 descriptions left to add. I'll... get right on that. Even if it's just for my own personal use. I'm really sorry.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:47 pm »

Sorry to double-post, but I've spent way too long working on this for me not to show everybody. And you can just copy-paste it into the mod too, easily. The unit and weapon IDs all line up after all. Anyways, enough complaining from me. I'll get working on submitting my pretender.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: There! That should be completed, and free of any other stupidity on my part.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:50:11 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »

Can I just say that I really like Dousheim's fluff? Because I really like it, and kudos to Culise for writing it.

Anyway, I know what I'm gonna send in, I'm just debating what to name my pretender.

EDIT: And I just noticed that the names of my soldiers are the default ones, not the ones I changed them to. I'd rather not have six different units be named javelineers, even if they all carry javelins, because they don't occupy the same niches at all.

EDIT 2: SON OF EDIT
I decided to name my pretender after the best girl and sent it in. Seems to work, IIRC mod nations ought to show up as 'Unexpected Nation'.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:07:13 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2014, 08:34:04 pm »

Sorry to double-post, but I've spent way too long working on this for me not to show everybody. And you can just copy-paste it into the mod too, easily. The unit and weapon IDs all line up after all.

...actually, we can't just paste them in. As per Delta's post above, you modified the 100-nation mod (Castle of the Sun) and not a regenerated 9-nation mod (Rune-Covered Circle).  :P If we want to add them, we need to copy-paste each individual #descr line.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45