Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 71515 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen!
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »

EDIT: Just so everyone can confirm they've generated the same set the first nation output by the seed is:
Nation 100: Porwald
-----------------------------------
Race: Humans.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Archers. Sacred light ranger.
Magic: Water, Nature and Blood.
Priests: Strong.

I had an issue with this, but then I realized that I was using an old version (0.4.7). If anyone else has problems, make sure you have the 0.5 version of nationgen.
e:
Which is a shame since I found some pretty awesome nations from the 047 version of the seed. Let's hope there's a few A2 research mages with this batch that have an air elemental battle summon.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:05:16 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:30 pm »

You don't seem to understand : I want to test almost all of them !

To test the first 30-ish, just regen with the same seed but fewer nations.

Delta, upon digging through this last night I'm kinda underwhelmed by this compared to some seeds I've seen, but that's just luck of the draw, and possibly my personal preferences at that. There are a few A2-Tier-1 nations IIRC, though. [Edit: wait, no, there aren't. Oops.]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:16:05 pm by E. Albright »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:52 pm »

I wouldn't mind picking a new seed, actually... I haven't found much that I like besides... 4 or 5 nations, actually.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 03:30:58 pm »

@E. Albright:

I don't really have anything in particular in mind, but if you or someone else so desire, feel free to gen a few more sets and if something looks to be better than our current offering, post it up and we'll use that. I would like to have a suitable seed by friday, since drafting will probably take a while to go through. Other than that I don't really mind one way or the other.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »

I've already picked a few favorites...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 03:37:37 pm »

I have 10 candidate nations I found after scouring that seed last night. Am I 100% pleased with any of them? No. Are there "ideas" I'd've rather seen? Yes. Are well more nations than the 10 I've picked viable? Probably.

I say we stick with the mess I generated. We've already had people start digging through it, and selecting another seed because one player has found the nation of their dreams is kinda a bad idea, not least because unless they're Karlito the switch isn't even necessarily going to make them happy due to the draft. If the seed is one or two "better" nations (who will likely get vetoed if they're that much obviously better) and ninety-eight or nine "as good or worse" nations, net happiness isn't going to be increased by swapping to a different set and starting digging through it anew.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2014, 03:47:48 pm »

Glad you see it that way.

So the seed as posted is the one we're going with. Dig through, find a few you like. And once Karlito has found his #1 pick, he'll post that. Then Shadowgandor, then whoever was third and so on. I'll try to keep the OP as up to date as possible with drafted nations. If you people need until weekend to properly look through the nations, I suppose I can't deny that. But I would not mind to get this game started early next week, as opposed to late next week.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 05:12:54 pm »

After the nation selections are finalized, think it'll be possible for us to make some small tweaks to the mod files? I mean only to the extent that nationgen sometimes creates different units with the same name (makes battle reports hard to read), or the same unit with different names (clutters up the commanders list), so renaming or deleting the offending units would improve the user experience.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »

I have no objections to non-stat related modifications.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 05:28:42 pm »

I actually really liked the upthread suggestion of having us all customize our descriptions.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 06:29:40 pm »

As did I. Because I was the one who suggested it in the first place.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »

Agreed!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2014, 01:11:26 am »

Same here.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2014, 04:31:43 am »

I'm sorry, it's getting really busy in the coming time, so I think it's better if I step aside. I was looking forward for a multiplayer Nationgen round but I don't think I'll be able to commit until the end

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2014, 04:38:16 am »

Well, it's better to warn now than go AI in the first year ;)

PS: oh god, there is an hoburg nations with Cave-men riders ! :D
(Ingvaburg for those interested)
[edit]"The Dophalean Mechanized Cavalry rides mechanical mosquitos". Why can't I access the game now ? :(

[EDIT]
So, just checking I understood correctly : Each of us pick one nation, then each of us pick one nation, then each of us ban a nation of the "previous" player ?
So we basically decide which nation the "previous" player plays (out of 2 of his favorites) ? :p
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:35:54 am by tompliss »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45