Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Cannibals  (Read 2188 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Dwarven Cannibals
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »

So I'm pretty new to modding: all I've ever done is some creature reskinning and some insertions of "exotic_pet] on to animals I've caught.

If I wanted to make my dwarves willing to butcher and eat goblins and elves, what exactly would I need to change? Would it be enough to add the Eats Sentients tag to dwarvea, or do I need to change something in the other races too? Might this have unforeseen consequences?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Dwarven Cannibals
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:07:28 pm »

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

It might lead to less wars with elves and more wars with humans.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:23:58 am »

Elves are already cannibals, they will only eat you if they kill you in battle though. Also Im not sure it works after that. Think there was something about dwarves never butchering intelligent beings or atleast other dwarves despite changing ethics in fort mode, could of course be wrong since it was some time ago that I modded.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:03 am »

Elves are already cannibals, they will only eat you if they kill you in battle though. Also Im not sure it works after that. Think there was something about dwarves never butchering intelligent beings or atleast other dwarves despite changing ethics in fort mode, could of course be wrong since it was some time ago that I modded.

Could this have changed with the 40.x releases though? Seeing as adventurers can now eat intelligent beings, I guess this is a possibility that should atleast be tried. Science might have already been done on the topic though, not sure.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 11:23:47 am »

They'll butcher and eat dead sentients, but they will never butcher members of their own race in fort mode.

WertyMiniBot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:27:12 pm »

How about certain insane or starving sentients committing cannibalism to satisfy hunger?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:40:25 am »

I suppose that if you kill a dwarf with something and then apply some kind of reaction on its corpse it could work? Not sure if its possible to do reactions on your own races corpses or if some kind of information is tracked over so they still wont eat it though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:47:35 am »

I suppose that if you kill a dwarf with something and then apply some kind of reaction on its corpse it could work? Not sure if its possible to do reactions on your own races corpses or if some kind of information is tracked over so they still wont eat it though.
Thats possible, if your product is not the meat from the corpse, but a new custom meat. This does destroy the corpse, and leaves ghosts floating around.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 07:57:21 am »

Thats possible, if your product is not the meat from the corpse, but a new custom meat. This does destroy the corpse, and leaves ghosts floating around.
And thusly, we have slabs
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.