Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alternate History General Thread  (Read 3757 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Alternate History General Thread
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »

I'm not sure whether this is here,was here,or isn't here already,but I'm making it anyway.
So recently history has interested me a lot more than it usually has,I've been exploring ways of simulating alternate history as well,such as certain games.
Examples include Europa Universalis,Crusader Kings,and the rest of the Paradox Development Studios games,or at least the ones that have options for non-historical gameplay.

So come as you are and discuss alternate history in general,debating scenarios and possible events as you wish. Just remember that the Bay12 forum rules still apply and,like always,have fun debating and sharing your alternate history timelines/stories.

If you want to write an alternate history timeline,you should be familiar with the implications of the subject and if not willing to do research into the subject and others.
So,without further ado,let's start!  ;)

Oh,and any questions just ask.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate History General Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:20:32 pm »

... so, one of the more obvious prompts for alt-history: The Library of Alexandria doesn't burn down. None of the information within is lost.

What happens?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:25:13 pm »

I suppose Europe retains a lot of knowledge, so technology doesn't take about 200-ish years to reboot in Europe after the European dark ages are done with

(is that about right? 700ish - 900ish, then 900 - 1100 to get rough technological parity with the late roman empire. is that right?)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:36:26 pm »

but it would be in the Muslim world not Europe. perhaps they last as a power longer and perhaps dominate in Spain and in central and eastern Europe. of course its not certain how it was destroyed or when. perhaps it just fell into disrepair over time and ceased to exist. how about the Baghdad library that the Mongols destroyed? what kind of influence would that have had?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:43:26 pm »

the thing is, whenever Europe was able to pull itself out of the Dark ages by its Charlemagne-bootstraps, it was trading with the Muslim world at a massive deficit to the Muslims. The Muslims would give all sorts of interesant resources that were incredibly useful, and all Europe could really offer was horses and wool, IIRC.

However, Baghdad Library survival would be interesting. I'm not exactly familiar with it (Baghdad was the Abassid capital, correct?), so someone else could probably theorize better than I could.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 12:58:51 am »

but it would be in the Muslim world not Europe. perhaps they last as a power longer and perhaps dominate in Spain and in central and eastern Europe. of course its not certain how it was destroyed or when. perhaps it just fell into disrepair over time and ceased to exist. how about the Baghdad library that the Mongols destroyed? what kind of influence would that have had?
As to the former, not necessarily true, no. When the actual library did burn down the surviving texts went East to Gundeshapur and Bagdhad it also went into Europe through Constantinople. I suspect not much would've changed, Europe still would've gone through their intellectual ages and the Muslim world would've gone through their intellectual ages. Also under what circumstances would the Mongolians not be burning down the Bagdhad library?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:40 am »

These threads die off pretty quickly for some reason. Posting to watch regardless.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:54:02 am »

I suppose Europe retains a lot of knowledge, so technology doesn't take about 200-ish years to reboot in Europe after the European dark ages are done with

(is that about right? 700ish - 900ish, then 900 - 1100 to get rough technological parity with the late roman empire. is that right?)
Do you hear that? That's the sound of /r/badhistory screaming.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:06:29 am »

what if belgium was a country

* LordSlowpoke shuffles along, whistling innocently

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:50 am »

What if at about the 1600s, the Yellowstone super-volcano has erupted? How would that change the course of history and colonization of the North America?
._.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:28 am »

What if at about the 1600s, the Yellowstone super-volcano has erupted? How would that change the course of history and colonization of the North America?
Wouldn't that reduce civilization to the Stone Age again? Or at least kill a large percentage of humanity?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 03:32:32 am »

Wouldn't that reduce civilization to the Stone Age again? Or at least kill a large percentage of humanity?
Not Quite. I mean, supervolcano explosions happened before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1815_eruption_of_Mount_Tambora

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 06:08:35 am »

Yeah, I recall seeing a map according to which a large chunk of what is now the US would be covered in ashes, with Canada and Mexico being relatively unharmed.

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 06:16:27 am »

I don't like to think, but there's one for you:
What if the Iberian's Union fleet hadn't been destroyed in a storm and a single man held power over the three greatest nations in Europe?
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 06:18:03 am »

It would break up after a while. The Empire crumbled IRL. At most, you'd have a catholic dynasty in Britain.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3