Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The first fortress to fall I need to learn this game better  (Read 2037 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The first fortress to fall I need to learn this game better
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:52 am »

another PROTIP: use dwarf therapist. some consider it cheaty, but if you use it for assigning labors and checking stats only, then its not cheaty. its cheaty if you use it to assign skills to babys/children
Same applies to DFhack, really. I regret not using it before because I thought it was only useful for cheating. Not sure how much has been ported to 40.x, but the UI plugins were just amazing in reducing hand strain and time spent browsing enormous lists manually.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 07:38:35 am »

another PROTIP: use dwarf therapist. some consider it cheaty, but if you use it for assigning labors and checking stats only, then its not cheaty. its cheaty if you use it to assign skills to babys/children
Same applies to DFhack, really. I regret not using it before because I thought it was only useful for cheating. Not sure how much has been ported to 40.x, but the UI plugins were just amazing in reducing hand strain and time spent browsing enormous lists manually.

Ahhh good ol digv
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 07:40:44 am »

DFHack is current with 40.13 and I consider it indispensable. In addition to the UI fixes and utilities you can use it to work around bugs.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 07:42:38 am »

DFHack is current with 40.13 and I consider it indispensable. In addition to the UI fixes and utilities you can use it to work around bugs.

Just when i started to get used to those XsockX (that i couldnt dump because someone "owned" it) that were left in the meeting hall
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:57:28 am »

Ahhh good ol digv
Digv pales in comparison to workflow, autobutcher, autochop, autonestbox, buildingplan... there are a ton of great automation utilities in there. Might be a bit overwhelming for a brand-new DF player, but they really take a lot of the pain out of things. I especially love buildingplan's ability to designate whole dining room/bedroom complexes at once, and then workflow will handle creating the items after that, rather than before.

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »

I use dwarf therapist it is the only way to do things. But only to assign jobs or remove hauling.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 05:10:44 pm »

I disagree about Aquifers. However, for a beginner, embark in an area with two biomes and an aquifer on only one. It's a guaranteed infinite water source, and you can learn to fort and learn to breach them. I recommend opening the INI file and turning off invasions for the first fort or two while you learn to live.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »

I disagree about Aquifers. However, for a beginner, embark in an area with two biomes and an aquifer on only one. It's a guaranteed infinite water source, and you can learn to fort and learn to breach them. I recommend opening the INI file and turning off invasions for the first fort or two while you learn to live.
It's a guaranteed infinite water source
So's a river

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 06:13:31 pm »

Personally I find the best way to start is to make a 3x10 long entrance into whatever rock formation you have, then make a triple staircase going down. Fill this entrence with cage traps. Now you are pretty much siedge protected for the first 2 years and you don't have to worry about your military while you get everything else in order.

At this point, make yourself a few crafting rooms (including plenty of stills!), a farm, a dining room, and some bedrooms. This should take you 1-2 years as you learn to get it down.

Everything else can wait until you have a successful fortress using just those things. Once those are well established and your farm/still are producing more food/booze than you use, then you can worry about a military or hospital, or pets or whatever have you.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »

If you REALLY want to rob yourself of much !!FUN!! you can use dfhack, slayrace elf will kill... elves, unsurprisingly

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 08:43:07 pm »

If you REALLY want to rob yourself of much !!FUN!! you can use dfhack, slayrace elf will kill... elves, unsurprisingly

No no no. I don't like to cheat in games and especially that game, it is a hard game but this challenge is very entertaining unlike other game that are hard but frustrating. The only "cheat" I use is dwarf therapist only to give them orders  at least until I am more familiar with the game
Pages: 1 [2]