Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Aquifer plug is suspended by nothing?  (Read 1199 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
My Aquifer plug is suspended by nothing?
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:24:12 am »

I'm kinda stumped here, b/c I swear this worked on my practice embark.  In order; the plug with no supports, channeled layer above the Aquifer, the Aquifer layer itself.  Any info is appreciated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit; Second attempt was successful, Fortress is back on track :)  One more question while I'm here; Does Aquifer extend across the entire layer?  That is, could I find a dry portion of the Aquifer layer somewhere?  I want to channel it for Farms & Wells, but not certain how to do that without being on the same level.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:29:20 pm by Immortal-D »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: My Aquifer plug is suspended by nothing?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:52:39 am »

Double check your init files to make sure you have cave-ins enabled.  If cave-ins are disabled, stuff floats.

It's in d_init.txt.  You're looking for  [CAVEINS:YES]

If it's [CAVEINS:NO] then that's your problem.

The OTHER thing it could be, did you build the plug when the layer below it was frozen?  If I recall correctly, thawing ice can leave anything built on it floating.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:42 pm »

Those screenshots show what appear to be up ramps around the plug--up ramps may include a floor tile, providing support. Also, the level above the plug is not shown, but it could be providing vertical support. Finally, your plug looks like constructed walls, and I don't think constructed walls survive being dropped in a cave-in (they do survive having things dropped on them, but when they are dropped I think they deconstruct).

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »

I can confirm taht the ceiling can and will support stuff hanging on it from below. I'd check that out.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 06:20:49 pm »

I can confirm taht the ceiling can and will support stuff hanging on it from below. I'd check that out.

Huh, never realized you could do that.  Now, time to weaponize it.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:27:39 pm »

Right on all counts.  In my haste/excitement, I'd forgotten that constructions will break, also need open air above the top-most plug layer :-[  The second attempt was successful, and Fortress proceeds.  So while I have this thread on the subject, 1 more question.  Does Aquifer extend across the entire layer?  That is, could I find a dry portion of the Aquifer layer somewhere?  I want to channel it for Farms & Wells, but not certain how to do that without being on the same level.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:04:43 pm »

Uh... Sometimes? It really depends on what veins you have (if any), and, more importantly, the local biome borders.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:14 pm »

Right on all counts.  In my haste/excitement, I'd forgotten that constructions will break, also need open air above the top-most plug layer :-[  The second attempt was successful, and Fortress proceeds.  So while I have this thread on the subject, 1 more question.  Does Aquifer extend across the entire layer?  That is, could I find a dry portion of the Aquifer layer somewhere?  I want to channel it for Farms & Wells, but not certain how to do that without being on the same level.

Depends on where you are, what the aquifer is in, and what the topography is.

If you've got hilly topography, likely the aquifer will cross layers inside and around the hill.  This will create areas that are dry around the "hill" of aquifer.

Second, if your aquifer is in sandstone, you can find ore deposits which penetrate the aquifer.  These deposits will be dry.

Finally, if your embark crosses biomes, sometimes the different biomes will have aquifer on different levels (or one will be aquifer free).  You can use these biome boundaries to find dry areas adjoining aquifers.

However, your better bet is to tap the aquifer using pumps.  With an aquifer and a pump stack, you can move water pretty much anywhere you want.  It's a good idea to make sure your primary staircase has a drain, just in case you do something wrong and start a flood.  Learned that lesson the hard way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:08:39 pm by Tacomagic »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »

Good to know :)  I've drained & floored several of the surface ponds, so Farms are in good shape for now.  My Embark sits between Joyous & Savage Forest, with a small hillside in the top-most corner.  Based on a few survey tunnels, I think the Aquifer stretches the length of the map, so pumps it is.