Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utilizing Forgotten Beasts  (Read 558 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utilizing Forgotten Beasts
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:53:02 pm »

So I have a Forgotten Beast walled off to one side of my first cavern layer, if I build a stairwell to the surface, will the forgotten beast move to the surface and try to path through my fort through my front gates, whenever I lower said gates? If so, would he attack any goblins or whatever else he finds up there?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Utilizing Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »

Your new prizes can be put to various uses; the most obvious ones consist in dropping them onto various invaders - forgotten beasts are hostile toward each other and will attack any wildlife or civilized creature they may encounter - but with careful micromanagement, the opportunities are limitless.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Forgotten_beast#Applications

These applications should still apply. Capturing the FB is the hardest part, if it has a poison spittle now you have a way to make poisoned weapons ;D Or, if silk, then free silk!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:15:03 pm »

I don't plan to capture it in a cage, just have a sacrificial dwarf dig a staircase up to the surface then breach the area the FB is in via a path that leads to said staircase. I'm wondering if the FB will take the path all the way up to the surface if it is the only pathable way to reach my fortress?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:19:18 pm »

Oui. It will. Put a drawbridge as the wall of whatever blocks it off, close your main gate, and open that bridge, with another drawbridge being it's only way to the stairs. FB holding cell. Particularly useful if it breathes fire.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »

Got it, thanks. Btw, what does it mean if a FB is "ravening"?