Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I found a magma pool in caverns 2...  (Read 1075 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I found a magma pool in caverns 2...
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:03:29 pm »

Just a few questions since this hasn't happened to me before. I play with temperature off, and I choose my embarks so that temperature wouldn't have been a factor anyways so as to avoid having an unfair advantage. I also always avoid digging down to magma for the same reason.

My question here is, do magma pools in caverns spawn any fire or heat-using creatures? Do they spawn any particular creatures at all? Or is it essentially the same as having a lake in the cavern, except dwarves will not interact with it at all since obviously there is nothing to fish out of it?

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I found a magma pool in caverns 2...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:44 pm »

Will creatures from the magma sea come up through the magma tube to the magma pools in my caverns? Can the cavern magma pools spawn any creatures at all?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure hostile creatures only spawn by coming in from off-map, but I could be wrong.  I don't believe there is anything stopping them from coming up a tube from the magma sea if it exists though.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:36 pm »

The pool goes all the way down to the magma sea, just like a volcano that ends in the cavern. Magma crabs and similar creatures from the magma sea can and probably will path all the way up to the surface of the pool and into the cave.
I'm not sure if they spawn before you discover the magma sea tho.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:09:08 pm »

The pool goes all the way down to the magma sea, just like a volcano that ends in the cavern. Magma crabs and similar creatures from the magma sea can and probably will path all the way up to the surface of the pool and into the cave.
I'm not sure if they spawn before you discover the magma sea tho.

That is the key question then, if I leave the magma sea undiscovered, will I be safe from any of it's denizens coming up through the tube. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:35:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure Fire Imps and Magma Crabs will still swim up the magma column even if you don't get the "you have discovered a great magma sea" message doesn't pop up.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 04:41:43 pm »

Can I just wall the magma pool off? Would I need to use "firemagma safe materials?" If I just wall it off with whatever I have lying around, would fire/magma creatures be able to burn said wall down (if temperature was turned on)?

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »

Constructed walls are magma safe with any material. Furthermore, I believe only magma itself causes dangerous temperatures, not creatures that came out of magma. Any sort of material is fine for a wall around or floor over the magma pool.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:51:35 am »

Yes you can get magma critters without having revealed the magma sea.  They're generally not that dangerous, but they can start fires and the like.

I do recall one fort that had a magma pool on the surface, in a heavily forested map.  The fort died in the second month because a magma crab spat a fireball at a deer, and then everything burned.  Everything.