Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [ISG] Dungeon Defiender  (Read 9222 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[ISG] Dungeon Defiender
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:30:11 pm »

It is a glorious day for the forces of evil, as you just have officially passed the certificated leadership exam, by disabling the last of your competitors the day prior to this one. Needles to say, by "disabling" you mean voiding his application, and by "voiding his application", you actually mean killing him. In an overly bloody and painful way, at that. Leaving such matters aside, you are henceforth among the fancy ranks of various self-proclaimed lords, kings, overlords, underlords, princes, princesses, ladies, queens, overladies, underladies and arch-somethings, and thus a fiend eligible - and more-so, even expected - to strike out on his own.

All that still holds you from gaining influence of your own, are a great number of permits, two of which are currently to be submitted to the high council. Speaking of these permits, or permits in general, you are quite sure they were only ever invented to inconvenience the evil populace even further.  Deciding that the one about self-proclaiming a title of your own can wait, you go for the other one instead. Annexation Permit, it reads. Indeed, unlawful conquest of neutral lands is not considered evil, but more along the lines of unbureaucratic. Seeing as those above you also have suffered a similar fate in their time, and are somehow intent on passing this annoying legacy down to all who might came after them, not a smart move. Go figure. Either way, here it is...

Multiple Choice check-boxes. Incorrect use of outdated speech. A needlessly long sentence. Oh, and nowhere to put your signature. You are momentarily under the impression that such dedication to annoying paperwork, is, after all, worthy of some kind of respect. Luckily that is only until the annoyance kicks in. Sometimes you wonder if those lot of the dominions also have to deal with all that bureaucracy crap...

Well, considering where your future base would be, is still quite the important matter. Different environments not only dictate what kind of creatures would see it fit to align themselves with you, but also the kind of actions you will be taking, or what adversaries you would be likely to face. Eh, actually choosing the kind of realm is something of a moot point, as your own race somewhat dictates which kind of base would even be viable for yourself. Getting ahead of yourself – yes. Yes, of course. How could it not be? The permit about self-proclaiming a title obviously asks for your race. Maybe that was needed, or somewhat fun the first three forms that you were asked to fill out as a recruit, but almost two decades later, on a document specifically written for you, it bears little more sense than being persistently annoying. Letting out an aggravated groan, you decide to leave that document for later. To that end, you – needlessly – recall what each choice on the previous one might hold in store.

~

Underground Realms tend to be quite profitable as you are bound to find the odd vein of metal or gem, but the sheer number of lowly troops that the dominions of good will occasionally throw at you, won't allow you to shine as much as you would normally do. ( Bonus to Economic Actions, Malus to Fiend Actions )

Aquatic Realms are somewhat less prone to invasion, and while you yourself will be able to outmanoeuvre your enemies in the watery confines, going toe to toe with enemy troops in half-filled tunnels will have the amphibious and aquatic creatures alike on less ideal footing – or swimming - than they would normally prefer. ( Bonus to Fiend Actions, Malus to Military Actions )

Aerial Realms are roosted on almost inaccessible peaks, and thus very difficult to invade. While high altitude breeds quite sturdy inhabitants due to the somewhat hostile conditions, these very conditions also make it far more difficult to grow or produce much because of the relative scarcity of natural resources. ( Bonus to Military Actions, Malus to Economic Actions )

~

After making a cross in the respective box – having a mind to cross whoever had the idea of designing such a document by not checking it as intended – you stare at the needlessly long sentence that represents point II. A name, huh? Oh. Now you see. Yes, yes, why not choose a name before knowing where exactly you will settle down. Groaning in irritation once more, you decide to just get it over with already. Well, generic names are really not unheard of, as would be grand proclamations, or a humorous approach. Actually, now the odd naming sense of your predecessors makes just so much more sense! Unsure on this decision, you think about asking your second – but that one is currently out and about, preparing for what is soon to come. It seems that you will have to find a name on your own.

Dungeon Defiender will be a village-management game, with tactical and RP overtones. Oversimplified much? Eh, you'll see soon enough what it will be about. It's real focus will most likely depend on what you, the players, want out of it either way, so there's that.

I had this idea swirling around in my head for quite some time. This time though, I made sure that it won't be too much of a number-crunching fest for me. Nor hours of drawing for each seperate turn. So, basically just what I need right now. Seeing my current circumstances, I won't make any grand promises about it, but here it is either way.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Dungeon Defiender
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »

~ Placeholder ~
One of these can't hurt

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:56 pm »

Oh boy, another escaped lurker game! Despite the fact that this is the first time I post in one, I think your games are awesome.

Annexation Permit

What kind of realm dost thou wish to call thy own?
□ Underground
x Aquatic
□ Aerial

II  What kind of name dost thou wish to bestow upon thy realm which thou wish to call thy own?
The Watery Deeps of Doom and Sorrow

Also, quick question, what font is that?

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:33 pm »

- Underground Realm
- The Caverns of Armok's Chosen

Cult around Armok, anyone?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:12:12 am »

It's time to release the kraken, I reckon.

Oh boy, another escaped lurker game! Despite the fact that this is the first time I post in one, I think your games are awesome.

Annexation Permit

□ Underground
x Aquatic
□ Aerial

II  What kind of name dost thou wish to bestow upon thy realm which thou wish to call thy own?

+1
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:31 am »

- Underground Realm

+1

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:01:57 pm »

- snip -

My thanks for the praise ;3
As for the font, eh, well.. This one. It's simplicity works great for retro stytle stuff like I do.

~

Else, we need a Tie Breaker, as I do want to get a post in by tonight. That, or I will get my dice and let them settle the matter.
Thou with only 2 votes each, there even might be some unforseen changes. Well, we will see.

~

Oh boy bay12, here we go  :P

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »

- Underground Realm

+1
+1 Armokian evil, this sounds even better than DF.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »

- Underground Realm

+1
+1 Armokian evil, this sounds even better than DF.
+1 for this heresy.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »

Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »

Annexation Permit

□ Underground
x Aquatic
□ Aerial

+1
+1
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 09:28:29 am »

Spire of Evil, Seat of the High Council of the Forces of Evil
Your Chambers

After some consideration – all of it safe one moment spent on the matter of the name – you fill out the form. A cross wanders unto the box next to “Underground Realm”, and the name of choosing is “The Caverns of Armok's Chosen”. It seems you have a thing for grand names, as getting on the good side of the primal god of bloodshed is no mean feat, and the blessings of his destructive favour not too much different from his even more destructive wrath.

Having finished the document, it abruptly erupts into a cloud of black smoke. This you notice with some disappointment, as it seems far less creative than the document before it, which vanquished to an agonizing wail – the council secretaries are known to enjoy practical jokes of this sort, leaving you to wonder what else they have in store for you. You also notice that the next parchment has changed, now only showing options which would make sense with the previous arrangement.

In stark contrast to the one before, it is devoid of any superfluous speech. Keeping the document that actually will result in you becoming a fiend in such a bland state? You really can't say that it surprises you. Still, they were quite thorough with their listings of possible races that you – oh wonder – could ever be. The multiple dozen documents that you have filled out in the years before apparently warranting the question to be asked once more. For no special reason, your mind wanders towards the matter of the races listed, and what being from this race would entail in your position. For no special reason, your findings are actually quite thorough, not unlike the document.
Leaving behind the great mystery of your own race, you finally arrive at the interesting part; Proclaiming a title of your own! By this moniker, you will be known, possibly even more so than by your original name. Not a decision to be made lightly, you ponder over it before coming to a decision.

Spoiler: About Fame (click to show/hide)

Take note that the races are listed in terms of overall strength. Hiring goblin troops is easy enough, but getting an ogre to join you is difficult. Having said that, the choice of fiend will be somewhat balanced, as his strength has to be fitting to the position he now claims.

Well then, your move ;3

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:49:17 am »

Sbould Duergar be dishonourable?
You have it as honourable creatures won't want to serve them...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:06:25 am »

> Watcher
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 11:10:18 am »

I think a gender neutral Tiefling named Acherza the Wrathful would be a good physical manifestation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6