Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Free copy of Wasteland 2  (Read 1296 times)

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Free copy of Wasteland 2
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:24 pm »

I backed Wasteland 2 ages ago and got two copies for the tier I pledged at. I have one to give away, your choice of either Good Old Games or Steam. It's free to the first person to post their favorite Wasteland 1 moment, or, if you're new to the series, a picture of a Wasteland 1 enemy that interests you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:52:41 pm by Mr. Boh »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free copy of Wasteland 2
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:52 pm »

Red Ryder, hands down. Your heroes go into a town, get pelted with rocks, kill the brats doing it, and a mythic hero appears out of nowhere to strike you down. It was so easy to attack them it wasn't even funny, and there are no consequences. And then the last kid starts shooting you with a BB gun, and, well, they escalated their force, so why wouldn't you continue killing them? And then Red Ryder shows up...

Although epic, doomed confrontations with the roboscorpian rank high too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:01:29 pm by E. Albright »

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:03:58 pm »

Good choice! PM Sent.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:03 pm »

Man, it was FULL of great moments.  Of course, E. Albright was the first one to the punch, but now I just feel like reminiscing.

I didn't really want to fight the kids -- and I think you don't have to?  I remember the feeling of regret as the illusion of Happy Camp vanished to reveal a desolate wasteland.  I think this was the only spiritual / metaphysical moment in the game.

For hilarity, Harry the Bunny Master was pretty high on the list.  But I think the Church of the Mushroom Cloud won the prize for the funniest part for me.  Except all the damn fake staves.  So irritating.

I still remember this bit, I think it was in the instruction manual to the howitzer or something.  "If you decide to blow up the library, don't expect to check out books later".  1988, and it was a RPG with destructable terrain.  BEAT THAT, BETHESDA!

So many great moments.  Somehow, getting the android head fixed up seemed like a very dramatic milestone for me.  That sticks in the memory for some reason.

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

It was! I'm half tempted to fire up the first one again before playing the second. I've been trying to stay in the dark with regards to the sequel but I suspect our much feared scorpitron makes an appearance, if the concept art is any indicator.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:22:34 pm »

I'm not sure I'd have the patience to play through it again.  It required a fair amount of leveling and skill training and lots of random combat.

Maybe if I cheated my characters up, I could just play through the plot.

Or, you could just browse the clue book and remember most of it.  It is written as a narrative, and reads pretty well:  http://mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=wasteland

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:30:01 pm »

I loved so much of it too. It wasn't the first CRPG I played, but it was one of them. But yeah, it was soooooooo grindy.

You didn't have to kill the kids, but the first time I played because hey, they're attacking me, this is an RPG, so of course I should attack them. It's been a while, but IIRC, they were attacking me because I killed the one kid's rabid dog, so it's not even like it was unprovoked. The revelation that maybe I shouldn't have shot kids for throwing rocks was a moment to remember.

Although I think the most dramatic moment for me was the first time I succeeded in storming the Guardian Citadel. It wasn't as memorable as that early moment with the kids, but it felt epic and auspicious. Killing them off was a bittersweet moment, even if they were kinda crazy. Plus, I mean, c'mon, ya find the Titanic! (Oops, I should spoiler that, shouldn't I?  :P)

But of course, if we're talking about memorable moments, who can forget when Finster betrays you on the Serpioid flagship?

[Yes, I was a horrible, conniving, paragraph-spoiling git. I'm better now, I swear, but those paragraphs... just sitting there... taunting me...]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:34:54 pm by E. Albright »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 05:39:50 pm »

But of course, if we're talking about memorable moments, who can forget when Finster betrays you on the Serpioid flagship?

That story was a gem, and anyone who didnt cheat missed out.