Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190676 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2250 on: November 11, 2014, 04:30:19 pm »

I dunno... matter has weight unless it doesn't. That energy has mass, except when it doesn't... And that the speed of light is a constant, except when it isn't. Matter cannot be created or destroyed except when it is.
Those are not statements due to handwavium but due to limited understanding of the physics involved. As you dig deeper into the actual science, rather than the bite-sized chunks served in school, the apparent contradictions disappear. Which is, like, the opposite of my experience with religion.

There is no contradiction. Matter may or may not have weight, energy may or may not have weight, and the speed of light isn't constant. As well matter can be created and destroyed. The reason being that matter and energy are the same thing and that matter can be created and destroyed so long as there is an equal yet opposite force being involved.

that just isn't the first things you learn.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:32:36 pm by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: November 11, 2014, 04:32:05 pm »

I dunno... matter has weight unless it doesn't. That energy has mass, except when it doesn't... And that the speed of light is a constant, except when it isn't. Matter cannot be created or destroyed except when it is.
Those are not statements due to handwavium but due to limited understanding of the physics involved. As you dig deeper into the actual science, rather than the bite-sized chunks served in school, the apparent contradictions disappear. Which is, like, the opposite of my experience with religion.

There is no contradiction. Matter may or may not have weight, energy may or may not have weight, and the speed of light isn't constant. As well matter can be created and destroyed.
Matter may or may not have weight, yes. That's not a problem at all. Gravity is a cool thing yo.
The speed of light refers to the constant of light in a vacuum, which is constant.
Matter can be "created and destroyed", but not really. It just becomes a different kind of energy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »

Well since this isn't a physics thread I'll let those statements drop Graknorke.

Anyhow all it really means is so long as the bread is a projection, it can change qualities without changing its substance.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: November 11, 2014, 04:40:04 pm »

What? All I've gathered from your recent statements, Neonivek, is that physics is not your forte, therefore transsubstantiation makes sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: November 11, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »

What? All I've gathered from your recent statements, Neonivek, is that physics is not your forte, therefore transsubstantiation makes sense.

Really?

I am not the one who said that light in a vacuum is a constant.

Also no, transubstantiation doesn't make sense and has problems even on a metaphysical level.

I just know that you could easily prove it is possible to achieve using physics.  Well prove isn't really the right term, you can come up with the formulas to prove that it is possible in theory.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:43:36 pm by Neonivek »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »

Which proves my point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: November 11, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »

Which proves my point.

I'd look it up before you sneer.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: November 11, 2014, 04:46:41 pm »

Transubstantiation is an entirely Catholic doctrine.  For centuries, Protestants have mockingly referred to it as a type of cannibalism.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: November 11, 2014, 04:47:44 pm »

Transubstantiation is an entirely Catholic doctrine.  For centuries, Protestants have mockingly referred to it as a type of cannibalism.

True but most people don't know the differences between Christians and Catholics.

For example Antichrist? Christian

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: November 11, 2014, 04:53:42 pm »

Christians and Catholics.

Christianity is a catholic faith. As for people mixing Roman Catholicism with Christianity as whole, I have yet to see it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: November 11, 2014, 04:55:29 pm »

Christianity is a catholic faith. As for people mixing Roman Catholicism with Christianity as whole, I have yet to see it.

Except you know... this entire thread that uses it pretty interchangeably... including the current conversation on something uniquely Catholic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: November 11, 2014, 04:56:21 pm »

Keep researching
I'm disinclined, thank you. Your earlier statements aren't exactly making me put much weight in your opinion.

Feel free to PM me if it grates against your sensibilities. Otherwise forgive me but I won't be taking you seriously on this matter.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: November 11, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »

Heh, I see the opposite. The most common response by far I get to "I'm Roman Catholic" is "So you aren't Christian?"
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: November 11, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »

Heh, I see the opposite. The most common response by far I get to "I'm Roman Catholic" is "So you aren't Christian?"

Really? That's interesting. Still, maybe it's just because of the big issue of identity around where I live. A Roman Catholic knows he's Christian, just a better Christian than a Protestant (And vice versa, I'm sure)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 185