Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190616 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2190 on: November 11, 2014, 02:37:12 am »

How is horribly slaughtering every living thing on earth compatible with a non-evil deity?
There's precedent.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: November 11, 2014, 03:04:17 am »

Precedent implies lawyers, and there is no *way* a deity having anything to do with lawyers can't be evil.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2192 on: November 11, 2014, 04:23:04 am »

Precedent implies lawyers, and there is no *way* a deity having anything to do with lawyers can't be evil.
+1

How is horribly slaughtering every living thing on earth compatible with a non-evil deity?
They were all going to die anyway. Really, you should be asking "how is allowing things to die compatible with a non-evil deity?"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2193 on: November 11, 2014, 04:26:14 am »

Well moving on to a different topic

Asking the Christians here, what means do you think god will end the world?

I kinda like the idea of a gamma ray burst. Would cause a pretty hellish environment on earth until everything died off

Interesting topic! Question: When do you think it's most likely god will end the world?

It's impossible to say.
a) There is pretty much no reliable data
b) ''No man can know the hour''

Can't do any significant sourcing or referencing right now.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2194 on: November 11, 2014, 04:29:59 am »

There's something about making stars fall from the sky or somesuch, but it's probably Revelation, which isn't known for being particularly literal.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: November 11, 2014, 04:30:53 am »

Again, I've never met one who actually thinks like that. Best I've gotten close to is Yahoo! and YouTube comments, and with Poe around and the fact that they're... Yahoo! and YouTube comments... Well, yeah.
As I said - that Oatmeal comic illustrates the mindset pretty well.
(Sorry for bringing this up again...)

Ran across this somewhere else. Exactly how canon are the Tzadikism Nistarim?
Sounds like the usual mystical stuff. In other words, not canon at all.
(Especially since "canonical" means "according to the laws and regulations of the Catholic church" :D )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2196 on: November 11, 2014, 04:38:46 am »

That's not in the Bible anywhere, to the best of my knowledge.

One-fifty pages of relatively non-flamewar. Woo.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:13 am »

I kinda like the idea of a gamma ray burst. Would cause a pretty hellish environment on earth until everything died off

Interesting topic! Question: When do you think it's most likely god will end the world?

Like OW said, we will never know exactly when.
Though there are a few warning signs for when it will start and a few have happened IIRC
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: November 11, 2014, 07:38:20 am »

Though there are a few warning signs for when it will start and a few have happened IIRC
Isnt' that the same mantra that has been repeated constantly for the past 2000 years?

Here's another question: who rules hell?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:25 am »

This came up before and you cited blood moons (an astrological event that happens on a completely regular and predictable cycle) as evidence

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2200 on: November 11, 2014, 08:20:23 am »

Hell isn't really mentioned much in the Bible. I'd say ninety percent of what people think about hell is based off Dante and Milton.

There is no answer to 'Who rules hell?' Biblically, as far as I am aware. Reference is frequently made to Beelzebub (or however you want to spell it) as the prince of demons, and as a separate entity to Satan; if I had to choose a 'most likely to win King of Hell' candidate, it'd be Beelzebub.

Side note: 'Not the Beeee lzebubs!'
I don't understand my brain.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 11, 2014, 08:24:17 am »

This came up before and you cited blood moons (an astrological event that happens on a completely regular and predictable cycle) as evidence

Then I said that it was not the event itself but the days that it landed on.
They (presumably) land on Jewish holidays IIRC

Isnt' that the same mantra that has been repeated constantly for the past 2000 years?

Here's another question: who rules hell?

Yes it has been repeated the past 2000 years and it will be repeated until we are gone because there will always be people who preach it

As for who rules hell, I don't think the bible really touches on that subject at all
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 11, 2014, 08:31:51 am »

Again, I've never met one who actually thinks like that. Best I've gotten close to is Yahoo! and YouTube comments, and with Poe around and the fact that they're... Yahoo! and YouTube comments... Well, yeah.
As I said - that Oatmeal comic illustrates the mindset pretty well.
(Sorry for bringing this up again...)

That Oatmeal comic doesn't claim there are no gods.  It doesn't even make a case against Christianity...  It says being religious is fine, if you aren't pushy about it.  It highlights many uncomfortable practices common among people of all religions, exaggerating for comedic effect.

Does your personal interpretation of Christianity not:
Encourage you to judge people
Require putting faith before science
Come from a parent
Encourage conversion
Claim amazing miracles which unfortunately left no evidence and stopped happening, like most other religions
Demand that you fight for God

The strip is rude because it's caricaturing these behaviors for comedic effect and impact.  That's how comic strips work, particularly this guy's.

The kicker is that the Bible pretty explicitly demands all the ones I listed, except maybe the last one (thanks to Jesus).  Christians who don't do all this crazy stuff are following a personal spirituality instead of the Bible, which is *great* for all involved.

Like OW said, we will never know exactly when.

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Matthew16:28
But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. Luke 9:27
Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. Mark 9:1

Clearly Lazarus was present at all these speeches.  We can induce the rapture by forcing him to eat meat.  We won't succeed...  It'll be kinda like checkmate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: November 11, 2014, 08:35:40 am »

They were all going to die anyway. Really, you should be asking "how is allowing things to die compatible with a non-evil deity?"

Which is a fantastic question, by the way.

Anyway, doesn't God rule everything and thus Hell too?

On the subject of The Revelation: I find it interesting that people seem to be more willing to chalk it up to interpretation than the rest of the Bible.  I'd say a reasonable case could be made for excluding it from the Bible altogether, as some denominations do I believe.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: November 11, 2014, 08:40:57 am »

Actually, is someone hear familiar enough with the various council that created the various Bibles (because yeah, different denominations don't all include the same Books) to know why some books, such a Revelations, were included?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 185