Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190592 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2160 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »

Holy Darwin, he called Atheism religion. I hereby invoke the Divine Quadrality of Dawkins, Harris, Dennet and the Holy Ghost of Hitchens to smite the heretic.

edit: forgive me Harris, for I have forgotten to include your name
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:15:21 pm by Il Palazzo »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: November 10, 2014, 01:58:08 pm »

Out of curiosity, why do you believe Christianity is the best? Is it a case of "I don't really know why, but it is, 'cause all those other faiths don't make sense" (In which case I'd suggest it was because of culture/upbringing) or have you actually weighed your faith against other faiths, and even weighed it against a lack of faith?

Holy Darwin, he called Atheism religion. I hereby invoke the Divine Quadrality of Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennet and the Holy Ghost of Hitchens to smite the heretic.

And no, I think the reference to atheism ended in him stating they have "remarkably poor taste in life choices"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2162 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:28 pm »

I... what? The religion I was talking about was burningpet's hypothetical pseudo-Aztec human sacrifice religion.

Although I do consider the anti-theist ("there is no god") form of atheism a position of faith.

Pre-post edit:

If I didn't believe Christianity to be the best, I wouldn't be a Christian. And trust me, I have weighed it up. This thread is basically one-fifty pages of crisis of faith. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: November 10, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

There is no God isn't a position of faith, because it is a lack of faith. Faith is believing in something with little to no proof, which is the case of God. There is a lot of proof to suggest that the God of the bible, with all the actions attributed to him, does not exist as described. If I said I don't believe in Dumbledore, you wouldn't call that a faith.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2164 on: November 10, 2014, 02:09:40 pm »

Proof such as? I haven't come across anything truly convincing, so I'm interested to see it.

Edit: I'm about to go silent because I'm going to bed and have four exams in the next three days, not out of denial. I'll get back to this as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:13:10 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: November 10, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »

Well there's prophecies that aren't true.
Off a quick search a couple of glaring examples are Ezekiel 28: 24 and Ezekiel 26:7-14
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: November 10, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »

There isn't much proving god does not exist
but there isn't much that he does either

I have the faith I have because of a combination of; upbringing, culture, and I think it fits my opinions better than other religions. Also the fact that I don't believe that this world could exist without a creator.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: November 10, 2014, 02:16:17 pm »

Mackie's inconsistent triad. Various contradictions in the bible. The polar shift from "Kill them all" God to "Love them" God. The fact that religion seems to be evolving as time goes on. That different religions have different Gods, that then different denominations have different variations of those Gods, and then each individual has a different interpretation thereof.

I could equally ask you to give me proof Dumbledore doesn't exist, though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: November 10, 2014, 02:56:02 pm »

Let's not do... this thing again. Religion is based on faith, not reason. So having no reason isn't going to dissuade anyone.

The only way you're going to get anywhere (which I still don't recommend because it's stupid to even try) would be to find enough internal inconsistencies that the belief system is no longer seen as trustworthy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: November 10, 2014, 02:58:12 pm »

Yeah, when someone holds a belief to be true despite the lack of evidence supporting said belief, or on occasion in spite of contradictory evidence, no amount of pointing it out will make any difference. Cognitive conflict is not generally caused by external pressure, and instead comes about through critical reflection on ones own ideals, if you can be honest enough to accept you could be wrong about something.
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: November 10, 2014, 03:03:27 pm »

Yeah, when someone holds a belief to be true despite the lack of evidence supporting said belief, or on occasion in spite of contradictory evidence, no amount of pointing it out will make any difference. Cognitive conflict is not generally caused by external pressure, and instead comes about through critical reflection on ones own ideals, if you can be honest enough to accept you could be wrong about something.

That's all well and good (and true), but I was just trying to show that not believing in God isn't a belief. Admittedly, I may have gotten slightly sidetracked.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: November 10, 2014, 03:19:28 pm »

Anyone rational can see that rejecting gods is not a belief - otherwise you end up having to defend how not playing golf is a sport.
This is a blank sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: November 10, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »

I think that Arx was trying to make a distinction between the "I don't believe there is a god because I don't have enough evidence to support it" and "I believe that there is no possibility of a god existing, despite there being no more evidence to disprove one than there is to support one" schools of atheism. While the former is merely skepticism, calling the latter a position based on faith isn't too outrageous.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: November 10, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

Well, yes, but there is such a wide gap between the agnostic atheist approach of rejecting gods (one which I subscribe to and find very common in my circle) and the gnostic athiest approach of declaring knowledge of no gods (which I have only come across in a small number of raving nutters, and in examples pushed by strong faith holding theists) that they could easily be seen to be 2 totally different schools of thought, and should easily be seen as such by even the most die hard theists.
This is a blank sig.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: November 10, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »

Do keep in mind this is a christian beliefs discussion not an atheist discussion
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 185