Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190568 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2145 on: November 08, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »

a flaccid penis is a righteous penis
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 08, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »

Ah, fair enough. Meh, I was sort of looking at the general message, as highlighted at the end: If the religion makes you content and happy, that's fine. If it causes harm to others, or you try to shove it down somebody else's throat, it isn't. It's a message I approve of, even if the initial delivery was, as Helgo said, crude.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 08, 2014, 02:34:24 pm »

Edit: Actually, this one is better.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion
I liked the other one, but this one's rather... crude.

Just a bit
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 08, 2014, 02:43:59 pm »

Ah, fair enough. Meh, I was sort of looking at the general message, as highlighted at the end: If the religion makes you content and happy, that's fine. If it causes harm to others, or you try to shove it down somebody else's throat, it isn't. It's a message I approve of, even if the initial delivery was, as Helgo said, crude.
Pretty much this. But it comes across as arrogance highlighted by a condscending tolerance.

The message itself pretty much sums up my approach to religion.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: November 08, 2014, 03:49:40 pm »

I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: November 08, 2014, 04:03:12 pm »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/rapture

Hehe

Edit: Actually, this one is better.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

What a preachy jerk, that webcartoonist is.

Essentially why he's so popular with le reddit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: November 08, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »

I guess it is rude.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2152 on: November 10, 2014, 06:31:06 am »

I hate the kind of arrogance that people have when discussing how their beliefs/preferences are oh so superior to everyone else's. This isn't just applicable to Oatmeal, actually - it's applicable to damn near everyone I've ever met.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: November 10, 2014, 06:41:07 am »

I hate the kind of arrogance that people have when discussing how their beliefs/preferences are oh so superior to everyone else's. This isn't just applicable to Oatmeal, actually - it's applicable to damn near everyone I've ever met.

Ah, those damn jerks with their arrogance. If only they'd understand how much better your beliefs and preferences are.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2154 on: November 10, 2014, 06:46:21 am »

I'd just like to take a moment to point out that his statement applies to your post as well. And this post, and it's entirely possible he's including himself.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2155 on: November 10, 2014, 07:19:48 am »

Ah, those damn jerks with their arrogance. If only they'd understand how much better your beliefs and preferences are.
What a wonderful strawman you have there.

I'd just like to take a moment to point out that his statement applies to your post as well. And this post, and it's entirely possible he's including himself.
Pretty much. I try to approach the subject with "this is what I think, and this is what you think, and that's okay." It's hard to do that, I'll admit, but I'll be damned (har de har) if I let myself forget that respectfulness is a fruit of the spirit.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: November 10, 2014, 12:33:55 pm »

I can't understand why a belief/religion can't be considered superior to others.

A religion has a few functions:
Instruct the conduct of human actions and reactions.
Describe the functioning of the world.

One believe it is ok to kill and eat his enemies as a sacrifice for the gods. another one believe that killing and eating even his enemies, as a sacrifices for the gods or not, will make them angry. morally speaking, i think its pretty clear which one is better.

One believe god created the world in seven days and mankind in one day, some 6 thousand years ago. Another one believe that the world was created some 3.5 billions years ago and humankind was chanced into existence because of a very simple natural mechanic which led to a very long and complicated chain of events from an initial archaea or the like and up to human kind as we know it. scientifically speaking, and that's the only way to look at both of these theories, unless the religious one wake up and modernize its creation myth as an allegory, its pretty clear which one is far more likely and based on evidence and hence, better.

The only questions which religions can't be compared with is which god is real or which method/way of life is preferred by god. while we can't answer those questions, only one religion is better in that regard.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2157 on: November 10, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »

It's not a question of whether one religion is better than another (I obviously believe that Christianity is categorically the best, and Rolan7 or Dwarfy or any of the number of others would disagree), it's a question of not being an arrogant jerk that goes around telling everyone around them they're going to hell/wallowing in their collective delusion.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: November 10, 2014, 01:26:37 pm »

But if you truly believe that christianity is the best, you are not being a jerk, you are being a life saver. an eternal life saver at that.

Would i be a jerk if i'd go tell people that eat and sacrifice other people that their religion is pathetically barbaric, outdated and immoral?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2159 on: November 10, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »

Yes. That's a pretty tactless approach that will predispose them to mistrust you and oppose any of your ideas out of spite, which is why I don't tell atheists that I think they have remarkably poor taste in life choices. You'd be better off trying to show them good reasons why their religion is flawed, in a less aggressive manner.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 185