Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190539 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2070 on: November 06, 2014, 09:59:04 am »

Sure it does. The concept of sin is meaningless outside religion.

Okay, rephrased: being a non-Christian does not prevent you from taking actions viewed negatively by society and Christians.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 06, 2014, 10:26:58 am »

as for the ¨we have to lie in some cases¨ I strongly disagree with that.
There is never a good reason to lie

It is never right to do wrong to try to do right

There is no exception to sinning, it is wrong

also which is easier for a child to teach themselves, how to lie or tell to the truth?
I would say lie because through my own observations and experiences (myself, younger relatives, young church kids, etc) we will usually lie to attempt to get out of trouble and also from my own experience this kind of lieing just digs a deeper hole

Huh, what a coincidence that adam and eve lied in attempt to keep from the wrath of god just as a child will lie to keep from their parents punishment
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 06, 2014, 10:44:02 am »

Okay, canonical example: The year is 1942, you're Polish, and a Gestapo officer comes to your house, inquiring if you've seen your neihbor recently. You have - he's right below you, under the floor boards, and currently soiling himself from fear. How do you respond?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 06, 2014, 10:54:23 am »

Many, many cases in history disagree with that. Pretty much any case where we've had ethnic cleansing going on and people protecting them, have been incredibly good reasons to lie, and that's... just the start of a very long list. Deception and dishonesty are fundamental parts of human interaction, and often for the better. As I've noted elsewhere, most of us wear clothes, and affect behaviors intended to deceive -- to present a message to others that reflects a picture of ourselves that is not a true one. We smile when we are sad, we walk with confidence when insecure, we give pleasantries to others even when the doing so is falsity. All... very normal, and often done with the intent of bettering those around us -- making their day brighter, even when, strictly speaking, your "Good day" or whathaveyou is a lie. We hide many truths of ourselves, and deceive, misdirect, and so on.

The lies we tell children in schools -- about math, about history, about science -- are manifold, and often done for genuinely good reason; some things really can't be understood by most at points in their development, and simplification is an appropriate path in that case. Tell a small lie, now, so that the larger truth is able to be learned, later. Even in churches, from what I've seen of sunday schools and whatnot, the practice is quite strong.

It's hard for me to see any conclusion otherwise. We have many reasons to lie. Many of them good. Almost every aspect of human civilization has screamed that from the rooftops in the same moment they condemn dishonesty on the streets. In the face of starvation, pain, death, and all sorts of other horrors this hostile existence forces upon us, the lies that bind together societies are not sins, but virtues.

... which isn't to say that all lying is good, of course. But the control of truth, including its fabrication, is a tool. It is not, itself, something with necessary moral character. There are good lies, and bad lies, just as there are truths spoken with good intention and truths spoken foul.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 06, 2014, 11:20:38 am »

Okay, canonical example: The year is 1942, you're Polish, and a Gestapo officer comes to your house, inquiring if you've seen your neihbor recently. You have - he's right below you, under the floor boards, and currently soiling himself from fear. How do you respond?

Yes I have seen my neighbor

there is never a reason to lie in any cases

plus why the movie reference?

And I guess this is a matter of opinion but I honestly see no reason to lie, even in these cases it only brings more crap onto yourself and if you get caught it makes it so much worse

I will say, I am human and I do lie. I have done it before and I doubt there is a person on this earth that hasn't lied. I do not accept it as a good behavior, we shouldn't descept each other, honesty is such a better thing in my eyes I guess soooooo ya.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 06, 2014, 11:25:38 am »

Movie reference?

The nazis were real dude.

wat.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 06, 2014, 11:38:26 am »

Well... congratulations. You've just gotten your neighbor killed and/or tortured. Quite possibly yourself, as well.

Very kantian, though. Critter advocated a similar position, yeah. Even if the murderer asks if their victim is within, so that they may kill them, you are to tell the murderer truthfully that they are, if they are.

Would you advocate as much stringency on obeying and not stealing? Obey even if the command is sinful action, do not steal even if it means starvation?

... that's actually an interesting general question, now that I think about it. Would it be considered suicide to avoid sinful action if sinful action was the only means you have for survival? Is it killing yourself to starve instead of steal? If the choice is between false witness or death, which is acceptable? Wasn't there one of the major-ish biblical figures that chose lying over torture or somethin'?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:42 am »

Well... congratulations. You've just gotten your neighbor killed and/or tortured. Quite possibly yourself, as well.
Definitely himself as well - the helpers were usually sent to the KZ as well.
Also, movie reference? Maybe you're thinking of Inglorious Basterds, but I did not mean to reference that; it was more about making clear the implications of a collaborative answer.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 06, 2014, 11:54:54 am »

Definitely himself as well - the helpers were usually sent to the KZ as well.
Also, movie reference? Maybe you're thinking of Inglorious Basterds, but I did not mean to reference that; it was more about making clear the implications of a collaborative answer.
(oh ok, woops)

Well I believe that I have my rules that I have to follow

I do believe it is wrong to lie in any case but I will be honest, I would lie in that situation. My other response was what a perfect response would be

i still think it would be wrong to lie but ya lets just say I hope to god i will never be in that situation

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 06, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »

Well, this is my first post in this thread so I might as well make a small introduction to my religious self for those of you that already know me as well as give what demonination of Christianity and what they follow/operate under.

I am StupidElves, and I am a Methodist. Which are kinda really liberal Christians. From my experience, we do not condemn those of different faiths/those with no faith, we accept everyone and we don't pressure people to join.

Part of what makes up the Methodist doctrine is the belief in the Holy Trinity, and that is that there are three aspects to God. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. The Son is obvious, Jesus. The Father is the loving aspect of God as seen in the New Testament, and the Holy Spirit is what's in the Old Testament. The idea of the Holy Trinity is that God is these three separate entities, and one being all at the same time.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2080 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:31 pm »

Also
1. All people can be saved
2. All people can know they are saved
3. All people can be saved to the utmost
4. I accidentally merged one and what was supposed to be two into one.
And the belief that all people can be perfect.

Because I'm also a Methodist and felt like explaining more doctrine.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 06, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

Adam and Eve, had they not sinned, would not have created you, Cryxis. You would not exist. You would not even have been considered. So, the question is whether you believe humans can so drastically change God's mind-the infallible, all-knowing being-that he goes to the lengths of scrapping his happy-garden scene and turns it into eternal torment, or is it more likely that the infallible, all knowing God knew and had already based his plans around the actions of Adam and Eve. It is said that God limits the power of the devil. In which case, he didn't limit the power of Satan on his creation...in other words, he manipulated events to happen as they did. Nearly everything seems to point to sin being God's intended course in his creation. The creator ex nihilo, "Creator out of nothing,"
 must have also created sin.

As for the absolutism displayed by Cryxis, it seems it would let a lot of sin into the world. If Jesus were hiding a persecuted person, would he tell the killers he has them? Moral values are all very well and good, but when they end in you killing people to preserve your own morality, I tend to see it as a very negative morality.

Also
1. All people can be saved
2. All people can know they are saved
3. All people can be saved to the utmost

What about the person that has never had any way of knowing God?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 06, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »

I do believe it is wrong to lie in any case but I will be honest, I would lie in that situation.
So letting evil happen is okay, so long as you don't do anything wrong yourself?
This is like a less extreme repeat of the child killing problem again. It's avoiding sin on yourself while letting bad things happen to everyone else.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2083 on: November 06, 2014, 12:57:19 pm »

What about the person that has never had any way of knowing God?

Quote from: Romans 2:6
God will repay each person according to what they have done.

The laws of Christianity are very much in line with what most people believe to be optimal for society. They are judged on how they followed their consciences, is what my minister just said.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 06, 2014, 01:03:09 pm »

Then again, right after that we have:
To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.
Which I believe goes directly against some things quoted before about the merit of works.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 185