Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190279 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1800 on: October 29, 2014, 03:25:49 pm »

Because they can't, you silly goose. There's lot of people who believe that flashy miracles will make people convert.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: October 29, 2014, 03:33:51 pm »

Not much of a contest.
Hey, it was apparently a big enough issue for YWHW to get off its arse and do something, and then have its followers violently murder a few hundred people. Sounds like someone thought something was there, anyway.

Though yeah, it's also possible YWHW has cut down on that sort of thing in the present-ish time because we would execute people that get up to that sort of shit, broadly speaking. Mass murder is harder to get away with, these days, miracle or no miracle. Far from impossible, but it doesn't really win you (as) much in the way of brownie points anymore.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:37 pm »

Actually, in Reformed doctrine, the fruit of the tree took away free will, at least in a general sense.

That said, it looks like YWHW actually had a straight up contest with another god (Baal?) over control of the rain at some point? And apparently some other stuff *shrugs*
The one where a dozen or so high priests of Baal spent hours in prayer and cutting themselves to get Baal to light a tinder-dry bonfire, and Elijah (or possibly Elishah, it's been a while since I read this) soaked the bonfire in water, asked God nicely, and the sopping-wet logs became a conflagration?

Not much of a contest.

Heh, he could have just thrown on a whole bunch of clear flammable substance. Not sure about ignition, but we don't know the circumstances and environment that the whole thing took place in.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1803 on: October 29, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »

On a hill in the middle of nowhere? The water was also (IIRC, I may be mistaken) provided by the priests of Baal.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: October 29, 2014, 04:01:07 pm »

Not to mention the basic construction of the human body* and construction of the hum mind** that no designer in his right mind would create so poorly, let alone an omniscient one.

*(only bi-pedal species on earth, and thus prone to back pains! Blind-spot in our eyes from a backwards eyeball (who puts the nerve connections to the brains on the *inside* of the orb, requiring you to leave a hole in the light-sensitive cells in order to get those nerves out to the brain? Especially since there are species where it's done right, Octopii I think...) and many other problems, like hip issues or fallen arches, again from bi-pedalism, or various organs prone to damage or failings like the appendix or the liver)

Don't forget air and food going down the same tube, thus creating the risk of choking.

Furthermore, it would be largely his fault that the pro-choice movement which he opposes so much has as much momentum as it does, given that the case in favor of abortion stems largely from the fact that we start our lives as endoparasites. You don't need to destroy an egg to not carry it around.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: October 29, 2014, 04:14:28 pm »

On a hill in the middle of nowhere? The water was also (IIRC, I may be mistaken) provided by the priests of Baal.

Chemical reaction then? I'm thinking along the lines of phosphorous or sodium, but there's others that he might know about.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1806 on: October 29, 2014, 06:04:59 pm »

It's a pointless argument in any case. If you want to discredit the prophets in the Bible, there are much more effective tactics than "he used his knowledge of modern chemistry to perform miracles".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: October 29, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »

You can start with how the Bible is generally not a great historic resource, for a variety of reasons. An influential work of literature, sure. Culturally signifigant, yep. But not a historical record for the most part.
This is a blank sig.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1808 on: October 29, 2014, 06:09:50 pm »

That's true, actually. I especially like the story where the Israelites destroy a city that doesn't exist.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: October 29, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »

That's true, actually. I especially like the story where the Israelites destroy a city that doesn't exist.

Must have worked really well then. :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: October 29, 2014, 06:34:21 pm »

Even assumin' that the fire thing even happened, a perfectly possible series of events was that a lightning bolt or something hit the fire, people attributed it to god, and thus god won. Then the story evolved to make it even MORE awesome (IT WAS EVEN SOGGY WOOD!) and omitted the lightning bolt, and voila~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: October 29, 2014, 06:36:39 pm »

Even assumin' that the fire thing even happened, a perfectly possible series of events was that a lightning bolt or something hit the fire, people attributed it to god, and thus god won. Then the story evolved to make it even MORE awesome (IT WAS EVEN SOGGY WOOD!) and omitted the lightning bolt, and voila~
You're missing the fact that the other fire still lit. So the Baal worshippers had something right.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1812 on: October 29, 2014, 07:33:43 pm »

No, it didn't? Hang on, I'll dig out the verse.

Spoiler: Found it. 1 Kings. (click to show/hide)
TL;DR: Prophets of Baal couldn't light a fire, Elijah burned up water and stones and soil.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:40:33 pm by Orange Wizard »

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: October 29, 2014, 07:34:25 pm »

Re. miracles all that stuff about cool stuff not happening anymore today: it reminds me of The Great Inquisitor, a chapter in Dostoevsky's the Brothers Karamazov. The chapter is so good(and long) it's even been published individually IIRC.
It's been ages since I read that so the details are a bit murky, but anyway, the whole chapter is a big trip with one of the characters having a chat with Satan. One of the things the devil says is that the interpretation for the temptations in the desert is that Jesus was given the chance to either make all the flashy things happen and thus rule mankind through the power of miracle, shackling everybody to its power(because nobody in their sane mind is gonna reject god when his son is around and constantly making it rain bread) or leave earth and let men have free will by having room for doubt. Spoiler: Jesus eventually chose the latter(He also dies. For a while.) and that's why we don't have all that crazy OT stuff anymore.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:36:30 pm by Uristides »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: October 29, 2014, 07:38:04 pm »

No, it didn't? Hang on, I'll dig out the verse.
No need, I'm wrong. That's what I get for trusting things people post on Bay12 over my own memory.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 185