Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190144 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1785 on: October 29, 2014, 12:35:39 pm »

How do beings without free will choose to rebel? Would that not require free will?

Angels actually had free will prior to the fall after that god stripped them of their free will and they were left on whatever side they were on after that
Huh, that counts?  Would be nice of him to do that for people who are currently saved - then they won't be at risk from doubt anymore.

Not sure why he removed the free will from the bad angels though, preventing them from ever repenting.  I guess he hated them like he hated the Pharaoh.

Quote from: Exodus 10:20
But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go.
Quote from: Exodus 10:27
But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let them go.
Quote from: Exodus 11:10
And Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh: and the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go out of his land.
Quote from: Exodus 14:4
And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD.
I've always thought this part of Exodus was particularly creepy.  Pharoah's trying to let the Israelites go, but God mind-controls him into being a villain... to punish the Egyptians.

Apparently, the original had Ra or some other Egyptian god instead of the LORD in the part about hardening hearts. It's one of those passages that lend support to the idea that Jews were initially monolatrous, rather than monotheistic (i.e. believe many gods exist, but serve only one of them).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »

That's interesting...so God was...what, of the same stuff as the Egyptian Gods? Might heighten the spread potential, I guess, if they don't immediately say "your gods are false!"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: October 29, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »

Can't the commandment about not worshippiing other gods be read to imply the existence of other gods as well?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: October 29, 2014, 12:55:41 pm »

Can't the commandment about not worshippiing other gods be read to imply the existence of other gods as well?

You could say the same thing about the biblical mentions of Zeus, Baal, or pretty much any other thing in the Bible referring to other gods worshipped at the time.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: October 29, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »

Apparently, the original had Ra or some other Egyptian god instead of the LORD in the part about hardening hearts. It's one of those passages that lend support to the idea that Jews were initially monolatrous, rather than monotheistic (i.e. believe many gods exist, but serve only one of them).
And then comes gratuitous retconning.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: October 29, 2014, 01:00:46 pm »

Technically, I don't think that commandment even precludes the worship of other gods (mind you, other parts of the bible do). Just that YWHW must be above all others in your consideration. Depends on what the original meant by what was translated into "before", and whether that meant, y'know, in higher esteem, or more along the lines of "in front of", i.e. where YWHW can see (which is everywhere, generally).

That said, it looks like YWHW actually had a straight up contest with another god (Baal?) over control of the rain at some point? And apparently some other stuff *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: October 29, 2014, 01:32:13 pm »

TL;DR Satan is a pretty chill dude, at the very least I'm more apt to want to hang out and chill for eternity with the Red one rather than the Bearded one, even if it'd be a tad warm. Just seems like he's a bit less... insane.

Also, I'm trying to tone it down a little here, because of the sensitivity in the thread and about the topic. So uh, if you think I'm being insulting or something, that was not the intention? I'd appreciate at least a second thought, a second read, yeah? Not a knee-jerk reaction.
This. In my own untheology Santa is a really cool guy, if a bit confrontative, and hell is just a place not much worse than earth(you lose all the nice christians and that's all) where people who can't swallow God get to afterlive their afterlives in relative peace. Because God in his infinite wisdom clearly saw that not everybody was fit for an existence of eternal and unconditional devotion, so fine, you can settle down in hell and try out your own thing. More of a choice than a punishment.

And huh, yeah, sorry if I'm being too heretical here too.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: October 29, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »

I can't remember, but doesn't the pharoh actually perform a few minor miracles himself? Not sure if this was read, or seen in one of the several movie versions of that story though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1793 on: October 29, 2014, 01:58:55 pm »

Pharoah's magicians are able to replicate some of God's signs, yes.

The Bible is actually, IIRC, pretty vague on hell. There is torture involved though, as evidenced by Lazarus and the Rich Man - Luke 16:19. My Bible notes that 'hell' can be translated as 'Hades'; perhaps some kind of Asphodel exists as well, which is like earth without God?,

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »

@Cryxis, I know this is a... liiitle late... But God did not give us free will. It was the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that gave us free will.

@Descan, birds are bipedal, too :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: October 29, 2014, 03:16:24 pm »

How could we choose to eat without free will?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1796 on: October 29, 2014, 03:18:12 pm »

Actually, in Reformed doctrine, the fruit of the tree took away free will, at least in a general sense.

That said, it looks like YWHW actually had a straight up contest with another god (Baal?) over control of the rain at some point? And apparently some other stuff *shrugs*
The one where a dozen or so high priests of Baal spent hours in prayer and cutting themselves to get Baal to light a tinder-dry bonfire, and Elijah (or possibly Elishah, it's been a while since I read this) soaked the bonfire in water, asked God nicely, and the sopping-wet logs became a conflagration?

Not much of a contest.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:56 pm »

Yes, but how many believers can do that type of thing nowadays?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1798 on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:26 pm »

... that's not really the point.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 29, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »

No, but it's my current point. All the biblical stuff happened, well, in Biblical times. There are plenty of cases where a helpful miracle could help convert people to the true faith, nowadays. Why do no missionaries light bonfires to disprove the existence of Vishnu, or somesuch?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 185