Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190158 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1365 on: October 23, 2014, 08:52:03 am »

Also if I remember right they had plenty of warning signs

someone tell me I'm misreading this

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:52 am »

disregard that

i really shouldn't post crap 5 minutes after waking up

im very sorry for that one
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 23, 2014, 09:59:21 am »

Random post, because this thread makes me think back to the days. Putting ashes on peoples foreheads is weird, particularly when it's your classmates (For context, I was being groomed for a while to becoming a sort of youth representative of the church, which is why I think the priest is bit bitter that I suddenly retired).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 23, 2014, 10:07:49 am »

Though, to be fair, they did have *some* warning. That's why so many Jews (and all the other marginalized groups, like homosexuals and gypsies) left the country, because of the rise of a fairly anti-semitic party that within a few years starting doing pretty skeevy things. Not to mention Kristallnacht. But it wasn't quite *obvious*, especially for Jews not living in Germany (Polish Jews didn't exactly expect to be living in Germany any time soon, especially without having to move...) so it's one of those 20/20 hindsight things.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 23, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »

There were about half a million Jews in Germany in 1933. Even if all of them died (and this was relatively early on so I think we can assume a decent amount escaped), that'd be a twelfth of the Jewish deaths in the holocaust. "Don't be in Germany" was not an effective strategy.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:13 pm »

We aren't discussing this

Onto an actual christian discussion

What is your opinion on spreading your religion

I don't believe in shoving it down peoples throats but i do believe in trying to get someone to believe in it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 23, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »

Isn't trying to shove it down peoples throats what often causes trouble? Historically that is.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 23, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »

A good number of religions make it your duty to do so. Like again, I don't think your own judgement to not 'shove it down people's throats' is something that the Bible would really support you on.
Quote from: Timothy 4
Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions
I can't read into this any way other than that the only way to preach is to be forceful about it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »

What do you all think of Platinga's Maximal being theory thing? I quite like it. I mean, even he admits it can be used to disprove itself, but it's still nice.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 23, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

What do you all think of Platinga's Maximal being theory thing? I quite like it. I mean, even he admits it can be used to disprove itself, but it's still nice.

It seemingly assumes that for each possible world, the maximum excellence is uniform and can be carried over as-is to each specific world. Also, omniscience and omnipotence interact with each other badly - the qualifier may be invalid in every possible world. Plus other stuff, but bedtime.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 23, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »

A good number of religions make it your duty to do so. Like again, I don't think your own judgement to not 'shove it down people's throats' is something that the Bible would really support you on.
Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions
I can't read into this any way other than that the only way to preach is to be forceful about it.

I kinda read that as 'preach it in a way that is appealing to them without going outside of gods word. Constantly preach it or always be ready to preach it and be prepared to preach it to anyone in a way they would understand.'
I don't read that as being forcefull

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1376 on: October 23, 2014, 05:30:56 pm »

Forceful in teaching, perhaps. As far as I'm concerned, "forcing it down peoples' throats" is an ineffective strategy. It just drives them away.
We're called to spread the Word of God, which depends on things like kindness. Rude evangelism is self-defeating.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 23, 2014, 05:36:58 pm »

I kinda read that as 'preach it in a way that is appealing to them without going outside of gods word. Constantly preach it or always be ready to preach it and be prepared to preach it to anyone in a way they would understand.'
I don't read that as being forcefull
Really? I mean, there's a clear divide between what is sound and what is unsound there, and I can't imagine the unsound one being promoted. Which is to say, I read completely the opposite to what you do there. Do not at all change to appeal to the masses, because that's a loss of integrity.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 23, 2014, 05:41:56 pm »

I did not say change to appeal
I said preach it in a way that they would understand
Teach it properly
Don't physically change it but change the way you preach it

There are different styles of preaching that appeal to different people
Like fire and brimstone preaching doesn't work for every audience but it is effective for some people

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 23, 2014, 05:46:19 pm »

Changing the way you're preaching is still changing to "suit [your audience's] own passions", which is presented as in opposition to sound teaching.

The way I see it is somewhat more interpretively that a good teacher's message should be able to reach everyone, without having to cater to any individual or group in particular. If your message will not reach everyone then it is not good enough.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:54:37 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 185